Let's tell HTC we want a REAL unlock!

Search This thread

imheroldman

Apr 10, 2011
Chico
Please read the following blog entry and consider what this could mean for you as an HTC user!

Join with toastcfh, cyaniarb and the many other HTC devs who have brought you all the customization's you know and love. Ask HTC to provide a solution for the current situation!

Please comment and share, spread the word so HTC will hear us and not force us to find another manufacturer we could possibly stand that offers a true unlock!

http://goo.gl/3T4NK

Reactions: toastcfh

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
Essentially why my next phone will be a Samsung. Samsung is way more dev friendly. HTC absolutely f***ed the development on the vivid, even though its a top notch phone. They used to be king of the hill for devs, not anymore.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
Sony is the most dev friendly companie I ever saw. Unlock bootloader to all devices, from the beggining, rent devices for developement, release camera libs and such.

ve6rah

Sep 14, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Sony is the most dev friendly companie I ever saw. Unlock bootloader to all devices, from the beggining, rent devices for developement, release camera libs and such.
After their multiple fiascos over the years with other products I won't trust them for a second... think "other OS" on the playstation. a feature they advertised and sold customers based on and then revoked in a later software update.

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
After their multiple fiascos over the years with other products I won't trust them for a second... think "other OS" on the playstation. a feature they advertised and sold customers based on and then revoked in a later software update.

What fiascos? Their phones with single core while the rest was with dual core last year? Or their updates? The learned from 2010. They release ICS for ALL their devices, with a awesome software tweaks that made their devices could follow other dual core competitors. And the UI is not heavy like TouchWiz and Sense neither ugly.

For prices, they're not cheap, just like all of their devices, but they make it premium. And stop a little and take a look at the rumours for their next big phones, Hayabusa and Mint. They will blow away One X and SIII.

Sent from my X10 Mini Pro using Tapatalk

ve6rah

Sep 14, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
I listed one of the fiascos in the reply I made, I could add their rootkit fiasco on CDs a while back... or others.

They haven't screwed over android users yet, but their company has a long history of screwing people over on every other product they've made, I don't want to be involved when they decide to do it on a phone.

cl8

Apr 29, 2012

Plus sueing the guys who created the PS3 jailbreak (Geohot, failoverflow), going after another guy who contributed to running Other OS on updated PS3 devices (graf_chokolo).Oh and removing otheros in the first place.

Yeah, Sony sure are dev friendly.

Back on topic, i'm totally with this, S-OFF is a crappy solution.

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
Plus sueing the guys who created the PS3 jailbreak (Geohot, failoverflow), going after another guy who contributed to running Other OS on updated PS3 devices (graf_chokolo).Oh and removing otheros in the first place.

Yeah, Sony sure are dev friendly.

Back on topic, i'm totally with this, S-OFF is a crappy solution.

I may have said it wrong. Sony is very dev friendly on Android. Better now?

imheroldman

Apr 10, 2011
Chico
Back to topic, yes the whole idea of s-off seems like a common place term, however, this is only because the manufacturer is creating road blocks and locks that keep us from doing what we want. Security and locks make sense, but for the user who understands the risks but simply wants to create custom distributions or simply upgrade firmware on their own schedule there should be a solution with understanding.

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
I may have said it wrong. Sony is very dev friendly on Android. Better now?

No, this is still false. Sony killed off their own dev community. I don't recall exactly what device(s) it was, but I remember a HUGE fiasco involving them which resulted in tons and tons of devs deserting Sony.

Back to topic, yes the whole idea of s-off seems like a common place term, however, this is only because the manufacturer is creating road blocks and locks that keep us from doing what we want. Security and locks make sense, but for the user who understands the risks but simply wants to create custom distributions or simply upgrade firmware on their own schedule there should be a solution with understanding.

No, security and locks like that do NOT make sense. Samsung SHIPS with unlocked bootloaders, and they don't seem to be having too many problems with it because they keep doing it. HTC makes you jump through hoops just to flash a recovery or kernel every time you want a new ROM.

imheroldman

Apr 10, 2011
Chico
No, security and locks like that do NOT make sense. Samsung SHIPS with unlocked bootloaders, and they don't seem to be having too many problems with it because they keep doing it. HTC makes you jump through hoops just to flash a recovery or kernel every time you want a new ROM.

I am not exactly familiar with other samsung devices but I know that the Galaxy Nexus you have to physically connect the phone in fastboot and enter an unlock command...

MR4Y

Apr 25, 2012
Araras - SP
You think HTC phones are harder to unlock? Motorola's phones are the hardest sobs to be unlocked. If you go back a few years, you'll see that almost every motorola phone required a hardware box or a very specific and hard to find software to be unlocked.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using XDA

K

Killbynature

i have a s2 and everything is so easy to do. i still dont know what s-off is :p

S-off is security off. Samsung doesn't have any security on their device. This is why samsung phones are so easy to unlock.

HTC unlock is really horrible way of doing things. Because of the boot img which is basically the kernel is blocked as well. If you ever looked in the kernel and at source a lot of stuff that is actually useful to the power user is turned off in the stock kernel. Especially latest Linux kernel patches.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please read the following blog entry and consider what this could mean for you as an HTC user!

Join with toastcfh, cyaniarb and the many other HTC devs who have brought you all the customization's you know and love. Ask HTC to provide a solution for the current situation!

Please comment and share, spread the word so HTC will hear us and not force us to find another manufacturer we could possibly stand that offers a true unlock!

http://goo.gl/3T4NK