[GUIDE] Root for Jelly Bean 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 OTA ***UPDATED 5/29***

Which custom recovery do you prefer?

• Total voters
Search This thread

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Root, Custom Recovery, and Unlocked Bootloader for Jelly Bean OTA (4.1.1 or 4.1.2)

ncFcy.jpg

Description: Since the previous root method that worked in ICS has been blocked in Jelly Bean. I've decided to create this simple guide (loosely based on this thread) that will allow you to root, flash a custom recovery of your choosing, and unlock the bootloader on your Verizon Galaxy S III device if you just received the official Jelly Bean OTA (without having to flash a factory image).

Video Demo of Process - (Courtesy of DroidModd3rX) - Link Here

Step 1 - Preparation

1. Download and Install Samsung Official USB Drivers - Link
  2. Download and extract ODIN v3.07 - Link
  3. Download one of the below
    • For Root Only - Download SuperSU to your SD Card - Link
    • For Unlocked Bootloader Only - Download Verizon Galaxy S III Unlocked Bootloader to your SD Card - Link
    • For Both Root and Unlocked Bootloader ***RECOMMENDED*** - Download SuperSU + Unlocked Bootloader to your SD Card - Link
  4. Download the VRALEC Bootchain - Link
    MD5: 8C45B7FBACEFB65B173E2B4679BCF8E4
  5. Download one of the below
    • For ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 6.0.2.3 (Download this to your computer) - Link
      MD5: 78D8EEC8ADC5B04AE6221A21CF25A018
    • For TWRP Recovery 2.4.3.0 (Download this to your computer) - Link
      MD5: 4B993052BB4905647FBD8B44E6096214
  6. Download the correct Bootchain
    • For VRBLK3 (Jelly Bean 4.1.1) Link
      MD5: E3A1CB07DE214ED8081ED9D42C9BAF4A
    • For VRBMB1 (Jelly Bean 4.1.2) Link
      MD5: 8C3DA18BD5DEF7E38E03DD147A0E10A1
    • For VRBMD3 (Jelly Bean 4.1.2) Link
      MD5: 9CB65EAE8784807349EC3D4FF3A0AAEF

Step 2 - Flashing VRALEC Bootchain to allow Custom Recovery

Step 3 - Installing a Custom Recovery

• Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
  • Uncheck the "Auto Reboot" box in ODIN ***VERY IMPORTANT***
  • Flash the recovery of your choice using ODIN v3.07 (See here for guide on flashing)
  • Once the flashing is complete, disconnect your USB cable, take out your battery, then put it back in
  • Boot phone into Recovery mode (See here for how-to)
  • At the end of this step you should now be looking at your custom recovery screen (if you don't see it you will have to do the step over again)

Step 4 - Rooting Your Device and Unlocking Your Bootloader

• Using your custom recovery flash the download you chose above from Step 1 (#3)
  • Upon exiting your custom recovery to reboot first time, you will be asked if you want to "Disable recovery flash", you MUST select Yes
  • After reboot, your ROM will now be fully rooted, have a custom recovery, and/or your bootloader unlocked as well

Step 5 - Restoring your Jelly Bean Bootchain

• This step is optional but recommended to return your original partitions after you see everything is working properly
  • Flash the Jelly Bean Bootchain from Download #6 using ODIN v3.07 (See here for guide on flashing)
  • After a final reboot, you are all set to use your device as needed

Credits

Credit goes to "source requested to remain anonymous" for providing the original VRBLK3 leak (via PM)
Credit goes to cnlson for providing ftp filehosting (via PM)
Credit goes to AdamOutler and African-Canadian Sock Monkey for providing the Verizon Galaxy S III Unlocked Bootloader (Original Post)
Credit goes to invisiblek for providing the VRALEC Bootchain allowing custom recovery flashing (Original Link)
Credit goes to Chainfire for creating SuperSU (Original Post)
Credit goes to Koush for creating ClockworkMod Recovery (Original Link)
Credit goes to Dees_Troy for creating TWRP Recovery (Original Post)

Last edited:

Patr1ck.

Jul 7, 2012
Thanks for putting this up so fast, will sure come in handy to many people over the next few days.

cell128

Oct 4, 2008
Lomita,CA
Can't you just root and use the market apps ez recovery and ez unlock to do all that from the phone?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Can't you just root and use the market apps ez recovery and ez unlock to do all that from the phone?

Unfortunately not. In order to just root Jelly Bean, a custom recovery is required first. And you can't use EZ recovery or EZ unlock without being rooted in the first place. Hence, this is the reason I have created this guide for people who are coming from stock Jelly Bean.

fanto3k4

Mar 20, 2011
I am still on the K3 Wipe leak from your other thread. So now I should just follow the directions in this thread instead?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

yoderz

Jan 1, 2012
PDX
If you used the Wipe image instead of No-wipe then you are 100% stock so you will have to use this method instead.

Thought I was going crazy because I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong when trying to flash recovery. Kept getting a fail message in Odin. Then I found this thread and once again you have saved the day. Thank you, sir.

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Dumb question . . . what is advantage/disadvantage of returning to a stock bootchain?

Mostly performance and bugs fixes on the preboot process of the device. But also take note that bootchains contain the RPM partition and VRALEC was built on a very early prerelease ICS. Most likely you wouldn't see anything noticeable but I like to return it to the original intended partitions since that is what it was built-on.

Reactions: oopsiedaisy

SteveGrandRapids

May 13, 2011
West Michigan
Mostly performance and bugs fixes on the preboot process of the device. But also take note that bootchains contain the RPM partition and VRALEC was built on a very early prerelease ICS. Most likely you wouldn't see anything noticeable but I like to return it to the original intended partitions since that is what it was built-on.

. . . I now have your NO WIPE K3 on my phone . . . safe to assume that it has the VRALEC bootchain to allow for adding a custom recovery, correct? Then if I elect to add CWM, root/unlock, the final step would be to return to the stock bootchain . . . even deciding not to root, one should return to stock bootchain, correct?

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
. . . I now have your NO WIPE K3 on my phone . . . safe to assume that it has the VRALEC bootchain to allow for adding a custom recovery, correct? Then if I elect to add CWM, root/unlock, the final step would be to return to the stock bootchain . . . even deciding not to root, one should return to stock bootchain, correct?

That's correct. If you continue to follow my guide in the original thread you will see that Step 2 (when flashing the custom recovery) actually includes the stock bootchain packaged with it as well, so you are flashing custom recovery and bootchain all at the same time. Or, you can just follow from step 2 of this thread and will achieve the same thing. However you prefer.

owenbeals

Aug 24, 2010
Does the debug fs method not work?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Skyllos

Dec 22, 2010
I get failed to verify whole-file signature on the supersu file

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root, Custom Recovery, and Unlocked Bootloader for Jelly Bean OTA (4.1.1 or 4.1.2)

ncFcy.jpg

Description: Since the previous root method that worked in ICS has been blocked in Jelly Bean. I've decided to create this simple guide (loosely based on this thread) that will allow you to root, flash a custom recovery of your choosing, and unlock the bootloader on your Verizon Galaxy S III device if you just received the official Jelly Bean OTA (without having to flash a factory image).

Video Demo of Process - (Courtesy of DroidModd3rX) - Link Here

Step 1 - Preparation

1. Download and Install Samsung Official USB Drivers - Link
    2. Download and extract ODIN v3.07 - Link
    3. Download one of the below
      • For Root Only - Download SuperSU to your SD Card - Link
      • For Unlocked Bootloader Only - Download Verizon Galaxy S III Unlocked Bootloader to your SD Card - Link
      • For Both Root and Unlocked Bootloader ***RECOMMENDED*** - Download SuperSU + Unlocked Bootloader to your SD Card - Link
    4. Download the VRALEC Bootchain - Link
      MD5: 8C45B7FBACEFB65B173E2B4679BCF8E4
    5. Download one of the below
      • For ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 6.0.2.3 (Download this to your computer) - Link
        MD5: 78D8EEC8ADC5B04AE6221A21CF25A018
      • For TWRP Recovery 2.4.3.0 (Download this to your computer) - Link
        MD5: 4B993052BB4905647FBD8B44E6096214
    6. Download the correct Bootchain
      • For VRBLK3 (Jelly Bean 4.1.1) Link
        MD5: E3A1CB07DE214ED8081ED9D42C9BAF4A
      • For VRBMB1 (Jelly Bean 4.1.2) Link
        MD5: 8C3DA18BD5DEF7E38E03DD147A0E10A1
      • For VRBMD3 (Jelly Bean 4.1.2) Link
        MD5: 9CB65EAE8784807349EC3D4FF3A0AAEF

Step 2 - Flashing VRALEC Bootchain to allow Custom Recovery

Step 3 - Installing a Custom Recovery

• Uncheck the "Auto Reboot" box in ODIN ***VERY IMPORTANT***
    • Flash the recovery of your choice using ODIN v3.07 (See here for guide on flashing)
    • Once the flashing is complete, disconnect your USB cable, take out your battery, then put it back in
    • Boot phone into Recovery mode (See here for how-to)
    • At the end of this step you should now be looking at your custom recovery screen (if you don't see it you will have to do the step over again)

Step 4 - Rooting Your Device and Unlocking Your Bootloader

• Using your custom recovery flash the download you chose above from Step 1 (#3)
    • Upon exiting your custom recovery to reboot first time, you will be asked if you want to "Disable recovery flash", you MUST select Yes
    • After reboot, your ROM will now be fully rooted, have a custom recovery, and/or your bootloader unlocked as well

Step 5 - Restoring your Jelly Bean Bootchain

• This step is optional but recommended to return your original partitions after you see everything is working properly
    • Flash the Jelly Bean Bootchain from Download #6 using ODIN v3.07 (See here for guide on flashing)
    • After a final reboot, you are all set to use your device as needed

Credits

Credit goes to "source requested to remain anonymous" for providing the original VRBLK3 leak (via PM)
    Credit goes to cnlson for providing ftp filehosting (via PM)
    Credit goes to AdamOutler and African-Canadian Sock Monkey for providing the Verizon Galaxy S III Unlocked Bootloader (Original Post)
    Credit goes to invisiblek for providing the VRALEC Bootchain allowing custom recovery flashing (Original Link)
    Credit goes to Chainfire for creating SuperSU (Original Post)
    Credit goes to Koush for creating ClockworkMod Recovery (Original Link)
    Credit goes to Dees_Troy for creating TWRP Recovery (Original Post)

Unfortunately not. In order to just root Jelly Bean, a custom recovery is required first. And you can't use EZ recovery or EZ unlock without being rooted in the first place. Hence, this is the reason I have created this guide for people who are coming from stock Jelly Bean.
    VMBMD3 Bootchain has been added to OP.

Thank you techspecs for the update.zip :good:
    Helping Hand

Hey everyone - I just wanted to take some time from my busy life to thank and hopefully help out some of my fellow man. I think a lot of people hit on run on here and that kinda sucks. Everyone will say they have too much going on but don't we all.

First I want to thank open1your1eyes0 for providing us an opportunity to take control of our device and guys like techspecs and SlimSnoopOS for stepping up and helping when they can. All the thanks meters and donations could never pay for the amount of time and effort that goes into something like this. You just gotta enjoy what your doing and feel good knowing your fingerprints are on a lot of devices and it made a lot of people happy :D

I've been reading a lot on these forums the past few days trying to root my phone and do it right. There is apparently a back lash from developers against the so called "newbs" because of how they come in and think they are entitled to "full service" just because someone made this available online. I think some people feel that if you put it up here you should be making sure it's bug free and help every person out that tries to whip through the process and goofs it up. There is nothing perfect (bug free) in the tech world and there are so many variables that come into play with something like this it's amazing that we can even get something this good. From myself on behalf of the newbs a lot of the seemingly demanding and/or rude posts come from fear, frustration, and uncertainty and I apologize for myself probably being guilty of that.

So - that being said. I would like to try to add some helpful info here for the next hit and run newb :silly:
    I am rooted and rocking with a stock S3 and a downgraded radio(modem). After a lotta sittin on the fence maybe thinking this was overly dangerous I took the plunge last night. It did not go without incident however and I had to trouble shoot some things on my own. I had to go back and read the whole thread to look for a solution to my screw-up and learned a few things that may be helpful.
    • A lot of people watch the video first and there are some issues with it...
      In the video the guys says "this time when Odin shows reset pull the battery" during the install of Clockwork (recovery) and then it shows him go to the phone and do that while Odin displays Reset. Some other folks had issues with this early on in this thread and everyone thinks they are doing the button combos wrong when trying to get into recovery. You must wait until Odin displays "Passed" before the battery. I had to let it sit for quite few minutes when it seemed like nothing was happening and it was done.
    • Be careful with the touch version of Clockwork. I ended up using the volumn buttons to be safe after my scew-up.
    • When reading through here be forewarned there is a lot of misinformation and half truths.
    If you are just wanting to root your phone for control and because Verizon's latest OTA screwed up your data. Just follow the OP instructions to the T and then get the I535VRBMB1_firmware.zip which is the last radio and flash that in recovery (Clockwork or TR).

Thanks Again!
    Cool! As long as it worked for you I'm down to try it out. Thanks, bro. :thumbup::beer:

Sent from my GS3 using xda app-developers app

No prob. PM me and ill share a folder that has everything in it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta