Quick review of my Galaxy S7 vs. my Nexus 6P

Search This thread

Dan37tz

Apr 22, 2011
IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1842.JPG

Thought I'd give you guys my first initial impressions of my Onyx Black Galaxy S7 T-Mobile version vs. my Frost White Nexus 6P 128GB.

So I received my S7 today around 11AM this morning and been playing with it non stop for about 13 hours. Setup was a breeze, popped in my 128GB Sandisk MicroSD then had to update/install a bunch of apps while sitting on the charger and it only got "slightly" warm. Every other Android phone I've had doing the same thing and charging would get pretty toasty hot so this is a good first impression.

These are my initial thoughts comparing it to my Nexus 6P, which has been my all time favorite phone of all time. These are areas that are important to me.

Screen quality:
S7 screen gets much brighter, white looks a bit better and also more uniform. Looks to be a top quality AMOLED panel. The Nexus 6P (I've had 5) all had some sort of pinkish areas if you look hard for them, not completely uniform but still a good sharp panel. Doesn't quite match the S7 or even my Note 5 though. The S7 also doesn't seem to experience much AMOLED color shift when you tilt it at different angles, the Nexus 6P definitely shifts much more and sometimes goes from greenish to bluish to pinkish depending on your angle. Colors are also more saturated on the 6P, the factory setting on the S7 is a nice compromise between and is quite pleasing to my eyes.

Performance:
The Nexus 6P is an absolute beast when it comes to general UI interactions and navigating, it just flies and is the fastest Android experience I've ever had. Everything is pretty much butter and still is, seems to always run at 60fps. No other Android phone I've owned matches the Nexus 6P in overall smoothness, well..... except now the S7. :) Yep, the S7 matches the Nexus 6P in everything from navigating web pages, flipping through home screens, scrolling speed, and a big one...typing on the built in keyboard. NO LAG. I've always had some kind of lag with the factory Samsung keyboards, also present on my Note 5 and Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge. Not on the S7, it will register as fast as you can type. I haven't tested many games or CPU intensive apps yet but all common social media apps open slightly quicker on the S7, I'm sure games will fly with the S7. Apps also install much quicker on the S7 but I think it's the encryption on the 6P to be blamed.

Finger Print Scanner:
Nexus 6P seems to be more accurate and quicker, the scanner on the S7 seems to be similar to the S6 in function but now responds much quicker. Kinda like the speed difference between the iPhone 6 and 6S. It's definitely faster during setup also but obviously not as quick as the 6P which only requires you to tap your finger 4 or 5 times to finish registering. Definitely prefer the location on the 6P, much more convenient than on the home button of the S7 which sometimes require you to move your thumb akwardly to unlock it.

Battery Life:

Initial battery life on the S7 doesn't seem too impressive, I'll give it a couple days to pass judgment but it's definitely not as good as the 6P so far. Seems to be draining 5 percent in only an hour of doing nothing but resting, always on is off and it's connected to WiFi. Maybe it's still doing some background updates...who knows. The Nexus 6P definitely has great battery life and has never disappointed me. I'm thinking the extra 600mAh on the Edge would have really came in handy at this point.

Speaker:
Sound on the S7 definitely only comes out from the bottom speaker contrary to some rumors saying it also plays through the ear piece (which got me super excited btw). Sound is pretty good, above average for a single bottom firing speaker. It can also get pretty loud, on par with my Note 5 and S6, has more depth and sounds fuller than the front dual speakers of the 6P. Nexus 6P definitely gets louder but also sounds a bit tinny, always had though. Overall the speaker on the S7 does a good job, some cupping might still be necessary to get louder volume out of it. It's a great feat that Samsung kept the speaker quality decent while making this baby IP68 certified.

Build Quality and Feel:
My jaw dropped when I first took the S7 out of the box, although it looks like the S6 in the pictures, the pictures do not do this baby justice.. you guys need to handle it yourself. It has a real quality heft to it, it just feels fantastic in the hand. The S6 was also built beautifully but felt a bit toyish to me, the S7 in hand feels just so much more expensive. What a difference an extra few grams make huh? The in hand feel definitely matches the looks now. The Nexus 6P also has that expensive feel in the hand, it's a close call but the S7 just feels a lot more comfortable without the sharp edges of the 6P. I stuck my S7 into a Spigen case at the end of the night but tempted to run it naked because it just feels so nice. Samsung also up their game in box presentation, the box feels much more premium now compared to the cheap crap they used to be packed in. Reminds me of the box from my Huawei watch, oh and bonus, they also threw in an OTG USB adapter.

Camera:
Went out and snapped a few pictures outdoor and indoor, trying out various lighting scenes. Conclusion? S7 Camera is a beast, focus is instant and quality is razor sharp. In low light it pulls in more light than the 6P but the 6P picture looks better. It looks like the S7 uses too much post processing and everything becomes muddy, like an oil painting when zoomed in, although the pictures are brighter. Nexus 6P is still the king when it comes to low light photos without flash, they just look more natural and clear with minimal noise. It also seems like the 6P doesn't have a crazy amount of post processing to achieve a fine picture. Bright light is a draw in quality but the S7 really shines in speed and focus accuracy. I can confidently say you will get more usable pictures with the S7 in most conditions, but in low light with no flash the 6P is still the champ. Haven't taken any selfies yet so I can't comment on the front camera.

Subjective areas:
I find the button placement on the 6P to be near perfect with the power and volume buttons easily distinguishable with my thumb, I always find it a bit awkward with my Samsung phones. Sometimes I hold the phone to change the volume and my squeezing action will press the power button and turn it off. Also still no longer a fan of the physical home button, I guess I'm so used to onscreen buttons now. I'm in love with fingerprint scanner placement on the 6P, it just works and makes sense, still trying to get used to the home button finger print scanner on the S7. Touchwiz is definitely toning down with every iteration but still a bit childish looking to me, although I still prefer it over stock Android for the added functionality. Wished it worked like Touchwiz but looked like Stock Android or HTC Sense, make sense? :D

Conclusion:
I've heard people say the S7 should really be called an S6-S, and it's not worth the upgrade, I would have to disagree. When an iPhone comes out with the S designation, it's mostly just a faster CPU/GPU and camera updates. Everything else is pretty much the same down to the physical shape of the body. The S7 to me looks similar in pictures but in the hand, it feels like a completely new premium device. It had everything upgraded, completely overhauled inside and out making it better in every way. It just feels so much more quality in the hand and is 100 percent deserving of the new S7 model name. After using it the whole day today, it doesn't leave me wanting like my S6 or Note 5 did. It's really that good.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Nexus 6P, I was one of the first to get one and I jumped ship many times to try other different models/brands but ultimately I always go back to it. It pretty much checks everything I could want in a phone but now this new S7 does also with some extra perks on top to sway me away.. Expandable memory and waterproofing? Oh yeaaahhh.. It's too early to tell which one will stay and which one will end up on Swappa...So far this sexy new S7 is really, REALLY impressing me.:good:

xxaarraa

Aug 8, 2008
This 'canard cache' guy and now this guy. When did they let all the Nexus fanbois out of the asylum?

Reactions: durlima

ossy1337

Jun 27, 2010
Aleppo
Thanks for the (objective) impressions dude! It would be nice if you could test some games later and keep us posted. I think of San Andreas and other GPU intensive games here.

King p1n

Jul 26, 2013
Nice appreciate it.

But would be even better with camera samples comparing them especially low light, If you get a chance?

SAVVAS.

Dec 18, 2010
Dear friend nice review, thank you. What I want to ask is : is there any substantial difference on web loading compared to your Nexus 6P? Can you test them both of them to browse the same websites and see which one is faster and share your findings?

Vandam500

Apr 7, 2010
Why did you get the S7 and not the S7 Edge though? The Edge seems like the better phone to compare it to the 6P anyways since they are close in size and battery size.

Dan37tz

Apr 22, 2011
Why did you get the S7 and not the S7 Edge though? The Edge seems like the better phone to compare it to the 6P anyways since they are close in size and battery size.

I had the S6 Edge before and I couldn't get used to the curved display, it was a bit distracting when watching movies and you will get "glare bars" on the top and bottom when holding it in landscape (Unless you're in a dark room with not much light source). Also when browsing, some of the texts are wrapped around the sides and you need to move the page around to read all the content. I also never used any of the software extras so to me it was just more added bloat.

The edge designs are beautiful though and the 600 extra mAh's are great, I think this time around though, the smaller S7 is a welcomed relief for my tired old hands which are used to handling 5.5"+ displays.:) I have no issues with the S7's smaller 5.1 which I think is a pretty good compromise in device size and screen real estate. Who knows though, I go through phones like people go through underwear so the S7 Edge might be added to the collection soon. I'll have to play with one in store first to see if I could live with it again.

Dan37tz

Apr 22, 2011
Nice appreciate it.

But would be even better with camera samples comparing them especially low light, If you get a chance?

No problem, these are two shots taken in very low light with no flash @ 100 percent crop. As you can see the 6P gets more detail but it looks like the S7 image is a little brighter.

Galaxy S7
20160301_001044.jpg

Nexus 6P
IMG_20160301_001041.jpg

kinnesotan

Nov 25, 2014
Twin Cities
Have you noticed connectivity isn't as good? At my college I usually get 1-2 bars of LTE on my 6P whereas my S7 edge is struggling with one bar of edge.

Last edited:

Dan37tz

Apr 22, 2011
Have you noticed connectivity isn't as good? At my college I usually get 1-2 bars of LTE on my 6P whereas my S7 edge is struggling with one bar of edge.

What I notice is the 6P's signal bar tends to be more generous than other phones I've had, it was the same compared with my Note 5. Same signal strength but the 6P always shows like it has more bars.

S7 signal strength seems to be on par with my wife's iPhone 6S+ and all my other phones in my house, haven't noticed any connectivity issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: kinnesotan

Dan37tz

Apr 22, 2011
Reactions: Chaleman

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1842.JPG

Thought I'd give you guys my first initial impressions of my Onyx Black Galaxy S7 T-Mobile version vs. my Frost White Nexus 6P 128GB.

So I received my S7 today around 11AM this morning and been playing with it non stop for about 13 hours. Setup was a breeze, popped in my 128GB Sandisk MicroSD then had to update/install a bunch of apps while sitting on the charger and it only got "slightly" warm. Every other Android phone I've had doing the same thing and charging would get pretty toasty hot so this is a good first impression.

These are my initial thoughts comparing it to my Nexus 6P, which has been my all time favorite phone of all time. These are areas that are important to me.

Screen quality:
    S7 screen gets much brighter, white looks a bit better and also more uniform. Looks to be a top quality AMOLED panel. The Nexus 6P (I've had 5) all had some sort of pinkish areas if you look hard for them, not completely uniform but still a good sharp panel. Doesn't quite match the S7 or even my Note 5 though. The S7 also doesn't seem to experience much AMOLED color shift when you tilt it at different angles, the Nexus 6P definitely shifts much more and sometimes goes from greenish to bluish to pinkish depending on your angle. Colors are also more saturated on the 6P, the factory setting on the S7 is a nice compromise between and is quite pleasing to my eyes.

Performance:
    The Nexus 6P is an absolute beast when it comes to general UI interactions and navigating, it just flies and is the fastest Android experience I've ever had. Everything is pretty much butter and still is, seems to always run at 60fps. No other Android phone I've owned matches the Nexus 6P in overall smoothness, well..... except now the S7. :) Yep, the S7 matches the Nexus 6P in everything from navigating web pages, flipping through home screens, scrolling speed, and a big one...typing on the built in keyboard. NO LAG. I've always had some kind of lag with the factory Samsung keyboards, also present on my Note 5 and Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge. Not on the S7, it will register as fast as you can type. I haven't tested many games or CPU intensive apps yet but all common social media apps open slightly quicker on the S7, I'm sure games will fly with the S7. Apps also install much quicker on the S7 but I think it's the encryption on the 6P to be blamed.

Finger Print Scanner:
    Nexus 6P seems to be more accurate and quicker, the scanner on the S7 seems to be similar to the S6 in function but now responds much quicker. Kinda like the speed difference between the iPhone 6 and 6S. It's definitely faster during setup also but obviously not as quick as the 6P which only requires you to tap your finger 4 or 5 times to finish registering. Definitely prefer the location on the 6P, much more convenient than on the home button of the S7 which sometimes require you to move your thumb akwardly to unlock it.

Battery Life:

Initial battery life on the S7 doesn't seem too impressive, I'll give it a couple days to pass judgment but it's definitely not as good as the 6P so far. Seems to be draining 5 percent in only an hour of doing nothing but resting, always on is off and it's connected to WiFi. Maybe it's still doing some background updates...who knows. The Nexus 6P definitely has great battery life and has never disappointed me. I'm thinking the extra 600mAh on the Edge would have really came in handy at this point.

Speaker:
    Sound on the S7 definitely only comes out from the bottom speaker contrary to some rumors saying it also plays through the ear piece (which got me super excited btw). Sound is pretty good, above average for a single bottom firing speaker. It can also get pretty loud, on par with my Note 5 and S6, has more depth and sounds fuller than the front dual speakers of the 6P. Nexus 6P definitely gets louder but also sounds a bit tinny, always had though. Overall the speaker on the S7 does a good job, some cupping might still be necessary to get louder volume out of it. It's a great feat that Samsung kept the speaker quality decent while making this baby IP68 certified.

Build Quality and Feel:
    My jaw dropped when I first took the S7 out of the box, although it looks like the S6 in the pictures, the pictures do not do this baby justice.. you guys need to handle it yourself. It has a real quality heft to it, it just feels fantastic in the hand. The S6 was also built beautifully but felt a bit toyish to me, the S7 in hand feels just so much more expensive. What a difference an extra few grams make huh? The in hand feel definitely matches the looks now. The Nexus 6P also has that expensive feel in the hand, it's a close call but the S7 just feels a lot more comfortable without the sharp edges of the 6P. I stuck my S7 into a Spigen case at the end of the night but tempted to run it naked because it just feels so nice. Samsung also up their game in box presentation, the box feels much more premium now compared to the cheap crap they used to be packed in. Reminds me of the box from my Huawei watch, oh and bonus, they also threw in an OTG USB adapter.

Camera:
    Went out and snapped a few pictures outdoor and indoor, trying out various lighting scenes. Conclusion? S7 Camera is a beast, focus is instant and quality is razor sharp. In low light it pulls in more light than the 6P but the 6P picture looks better. It looks like the S7 uses too much post processing and everything becomes muddy, like an oil painting when zoomed in, although the pictures are brighter. Nexus 6P is still the king when it comes to low light photos without flash, they just look more natural and clear with minimal noise. It also seems like the 6P doesn't have a crazy amount of post processing to achieve a fine picture. Bright light is a draw in quality but the S7 really shines in speed and focus accuracy. I can confidently say you will get more usable pictures with the S7 in most conditions, but in low light with no flash the 6P is still the champ. Haven't taken any selfies yet so I can't comment on the front camera.

Subjective areas:
    I find the button placement on the 6P to be near perfect with the power and volume buttons easily distinguishable with my thumb, I always find it a bit awkward with my Samsung phones. Sometimes I hold the phone to change the volume and my squeezing action will press the power button and turn it off. Also still no longer a fan of the physical home button, I guess I'm so used to onscreen buttons now. I'm in love with fingerprint scanner placement on the 6P, it just works and makes sense, still trying to get used to the home button finger print scanner on the S7. Touchwiz is definitely toning down with every iteration but still a bit childish looking to me, although I still prefer it over stock Android for the added functionality. Wished it worked like Touchwiz but looked like Stock Android or HTC Sense, make sense? :D

Conclusion:
    I've heard people say the S7 should really be called an S6-S, and it's not worth the upgrade, I would have to disagree. When an iPhone comes out with the S designation, it's mostly just a faster CPU/GPU and camera updates. Everything else is pretty much the same down to the physical shape of the body. The S7 to me looks similar in pictures but in the hand, it feels like a completely new premium device. It had everything upgraded, completely overhauled inside and out making it better in every way. It just feels so much more quality in the hand and is 100 percent deserving of the new S7 model name. After using it the whole day today, it doesn't leave me wanting like my S6 or Note 5 did. It's really that good.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Nexus 6P, I was one of the first to get one and I jumped ship many times to try other different models/brands but ultimately I always go back to it. It pretty much checks everything I could want in a phone but now this new S7 does also with some extra perks on top to sway me away.. Expandable memory and waterproofing? Oh yeaaahhh.. It's too early to tell which one will stay and which one will end up on Swappa...So far this sexy new S7 is really, REALLY impressing me.:good:
    So can we say that S7 camera is not impressive at all, and don't hold a candle to 6P in terms of image quality?

S7 was designed around low light, if it can't beat 6p from last year, let alone S6 then the camera is a flop, there is no way around it.

I know you're likely trolling, but if you really believe that you're out of your mind. It's clear to me that the S7 shots compared to the 6P are not only considerably brighter, but retain more overall detail, dynamic range and have less noise.

Open images in a new tab and click to view them 1:1 pixel mapped. They have not been resized in any way, only cropped from the original shots.

NXRyQB.jpg

zakb7c.jpg

UrwdHh.jpg
    Selling my exynos s7 edge and going back to the 6p. The only thing better on the s7 is the amoled screen and the fast focus. The 6p is the better phone all around IMO.
    I believe the S7 shot has some mild camera shake so i wouldn't make any conclusions about detail levels.

The most astonishing fact about this comparison are the ISO values. S7 has ISO 500, 6P has ISO 1400. STILL, 6P shot looks much better. S7's sensor has imploded on that camera's round edges. Nothing but noise at ISO 500. 6P handles the situation better at ISO 1400. S7's mild camera shake can explain some of the difference, but things are starting to look quite bad for S7 image quality-wise.

I still believe the reason for this are the exceptionally small photodetectors (pixel's light gathering elements) that S7's sensor has.

The 6P shot looks so detailed and noise free because it's not a single shot like the S7 shot. The 6P automatically uses HDR+ in low light, which isn't just HDR (hence the +). HDR+ uses algorithms to intelligently combine multiple photos to reduce noise and increase details in low light. Most people think that HDR+ is just what Google calls their HDR, but it actually does a lot more than just HDR and in fact helps a lot even in scenes that do not need traditional HDR, so it's really a misnamed feature.

From the Google research blog (http://googleresearch.blogspot.com/2014/10/hdr-low-light-and-high-dynamic-range.html):
    Capturing low-light scenes
    The camera on a smartphone has a small lens, meaning that it doesn't gather much light. If a scene is dimly lit, the resulting photograph will contain image noise. One solution is to lengthen the exposure time - how long the sensor chip collects light. This reduces noise, but since it's hard to hold a smartphone perfectly steady, long exposures have the unwanted side effect of blurring the shot. Devices with optical image stabilization (OIS) sense this "camera shake” and shift the lens rapidly to compensate. This allows longer exposures with less blur, but it can’t help with really dark scenes.

HDR+ addresses this problem by taking a burst of shots with short exposure times, aligning them algorithmically, and replacing each pixel with the average color at that position across all the shots. Averaging multiple shots reduces noise, and using short exposures reduces blur. HDR+ also begins the alignment process by choosing the sharpest single shot from the burst. Astronomers call this lucky imaging, a technique used to reduce the blurring of images caused by Earth's shimmering atmosphere.

Try turning HDR+ off on the 6P and I think you'll find that the S7 compares a lot more favorably.

edit: For comparison, I took two low light shots with my Nexus 5X. One without HDR+ and one with. Note the difference in quality and also the difference in ISO.

Nexus 5X, HDR+ off (one exposure), ISO 3762
    t9RMvAw.jpg

Nexus 5X, HDR+ on (multiple exposure), ISO 4685
    IAPLd58.jpg
    Idk what all that means, but the shot from the S7 looks perfectly fine to me. Far from quite bad in my opinion. More than adequate for my needs. But I'm just going mostly snap quick picks of my kids and stuff.

Guys, I think we have a little misunderstanding. The S7 in MOST conditions will match or outperform the the 6P, I have two kids 4 and 3 and taking pictures of them has always been a challenge until the S7. It locks onto focus unbelievably fast and snaps the pic instantly so out of 10 shots, I would say 8 are usable. Makes it much easier. With other phones I would be lucky to get 1 usable shot.

That comparison pic was probably the only time the S7 will fall flat, no flash and in extremely low light (which the 6P happens to excel at), also the post processing that it has will makes the photo muddy and not that pleasing.

Again let me iterate, due to the S7's amazing focus and shooting speed, you will end up with a lot more usable pictures most of the time. While the 6P does great pics, the consistency of the S7 would be my choice if I needed to get overall good quality usable photos.