[Q] Help w/CM7 sd card install on new NC

Search This thread

hmthomas

Nov 23, 2010
Hello, Just got a refurbished NC with version 1.2 (read forever). Works great from stock system, but I'm trying to install CM7 on SanDisk 8gb card via post directions on:
[ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards

I've tried the 2 latest stable updates 7.1.0 and 7.0.3 and everything seems to install fine with the last lines saying "all steps complete...flushing caches...shutting down"

When I restart, it goes to the last 20 or so lines of the install and shuts down again (same messages at the end...all steps etc) I've redownloaded both the green 1.3 installer image and the stable roms. When I tried a "nightly" the install stopped on a line saying "looking for file starting with update..." or something like that and it sat there until I held the power button for a looong time.

I did try searching for a solution but couldn't find one like this problem. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or not doing? Thanks

One thought...the 8gb card doesn't show what class... it only says Sandisk Micro HC

DizzyDen

Feb 7, 2011
Are you certain you are dropping the CM7 files on the root of the boot partition on the SD?

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
You seem to describe doing it right but we need step-by-step how you get it done in order to maybe figure out where the culprit is.
I would suggest RECREATE the bootable uSD first.
Note: redownload the image file if needed.

hmthomas

Nov 23, 2010
Thanks for replying. Here's what I've done:
formatted 8gb micro via windows 7
downloaded image installer 1.3 via xda
downloaded winimage
restored sd card from image (generic...)
I saw boot disk w/4 files
downloaded latest stable cm7 and copied directly (zipped)to boot partition on sd
inserted sd in NC
it loaded and started updating for about 60 secs like mentioned above
it automatically shut down

When I restart NC, there is a quick white screen it goes to loading and redoes the last 20-30 lines of update and shuts down again. The lines go by so quick I can't read it (or more accurately remember them)

I've redownloaded both install image and stable updates with same results. When I tried downloading a niightly, the installer stopped midway with last line saying something like...looking for file starting with update...

Any help is appreciated

jh1523

Aug 26, 2008
I have the same device as you (refurb NC 1.2 from the recent dailysteals sale) and did the exact things that you did except use win32diskimager instead of winimage, and it installed the cm7 nightly 240 without any issues. It's only afterward that I ran into trouble, trying to install gapps (read about it here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1332441)

same device, same procedure, different results.

DizzyDen

Feb 7, 2011
You might want to re-download cm7 zip file... you can use 7-zip or winrar to "Test archive" to see if it is corrupt before copying it to the boot partition of the uSD.

Reactions: hmthomas

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Like jh mentioned, I would give win32diskimager a try, there were many reported of winimage didn't work well.
Search for the win32diskimager, older version is better for some reason, 0.15 or something. If you can't find, let me know, I'll host the file.

Again, redownload all files, make sure no hiccup in the middle of downloading process.
What you did was correct, just to let you know.

Reactions: hmthomas

hmthomas

Nov 23, 2010
Work-around works---next question

update!
I took out the micro 2gb sandisk from my phone and tried it again doing the normal install. It works! So, next question. Can I make an image of the 2gb sd and restore it on the 8gb sd and via some procedure maximize the rest of the sd?

Any ideas why 8gb didn't work in first place? I had done a full format via windows explorer before trying the first time. Even tried formatting via NC and still no luck. The 8gb was being used in my rooted Eris phone with no problems.

hmthomas

Nov 23, 2010
Found another 8gb sandisk micro and used it. Worked perfectly. I should have tried that first and saved a whole lot of time and energy! Thanks to all that chimed in with suggestions.

dragon_76

Apr 21, 2007
Chicago, IL
Found another 8gb sandisk micro and used it. Worked perfectly. I should have tried that first and saved a whole lot of time and energy! Thanks to all that chimed in with suggestions.

You have to use at least a class 4 card and that still works pretty pokey. I have my nook overclocked and running on internal and it is almost as fast as a stock Atrix

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You might want to re-download cm7 zip file... you can use 7-zip or winrar to "Test archive" to see if it is corrupt before copying it to the boot partition of the uSD.
    Like jh mentioned, I would give win32diskimager a try, there were many reported of winimage didn't work well.
    Search for the win32diskimager, older version is better for some reason, 0.15 or something. If you can't find, let me know, I'll host the file.

Again, redownload all files, make sure no hiccup in the middle of downloading process.
    What you did was correct, just to let you know.