How should the perfect Vehicle Dock for Note II look like? From iBOLT...

Which type of microUSB charging connection should the new Car Dock have?

• Fixed microUSB position (does not work with cases)

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Flexible microUSB "arm" (works with all cases)

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

borgdog

Feb 5, 2008
did anyone else get the arm..

just noticed mine says "UNS"...i read somewhere that theirs says "SAM". maybe that's why mine doesn't work? (universal vs samsung?)

My arm does say SAM and does work, that may be your issue. I'd call iBolt at the number a few posts up and I'm sure they'll straighten it out quick.

TwiztedIndian

Nov 10, 2012
My arm does say SAM and does work, that may be your issue. I'd call iBolt at the number a few posts up and I'm sure they'll straighten it out quick.

Yeah, looks like he's not the only one... Got mine today and it is UNS marked as well. Called their number and left a message. Hopefully I'll hear back from them tomorrow. Not the end of the world but at the same time, very annoying.

MikaelPe

Jun 8, 2012
Stony Brook
The xProDock will include the 9ft USB/aux-out cable...

Well, sometimes as a manufacturer you're right and sometimes you're wrong!:)

In recent days we made the decision to NOT include the microUSB/aux-out cable with the xProDock as many customers had reported that they already have audio/music Bluetooth streaming (formally called A2DP) in the cars and don't really need, or even want, a 3.5 mm aux cable solution. However, it appears that we were wrong! Due to a large quantity of emails, phone calls and postings we have decided to put the cable back in as a standard component for everyone that has purchased, or will purchase the xProDock through end of March 2013. The only limitation is that this terrific 9ft cable will be delivered in the 2nd half of March. This as we have completely redesigned it to make it even better. xPro buyers will receive email notifications from us through the Amazon system.

Thanks for supporting this most interesting and spirited thread!

Reactions: osiedacz

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA

In recent days we made the decision to NOT include the microUSB/aux-out cable with the xProDock as many customers had reported that they already have audio/music Bluetooth streaming (formally called A2DP) in the cars and don't really need, or even want, a 3.5 mm aux cable solution. However, it appears that we were wrong! Due to a large quantity of emails, phone calls and postings we have decided to put the cable back in as a standard component for everyone that has purchased, or will purchase the xProDock through end of March 2013. The only limitation is that this terrific 9ft cable will be delivered in the 2nd half of March. This as we have completely redesigned it to make it even better. xPro buyers will receive email notifications from us through the Amazon system.

That's great news about the cable. Hopefully after a 2 month wait, it won't disappoint and will be able to support the 1.5-2.0A that quality car chargers can provide. As I've stated before, I'm very worried about the length of that cable influencing charging current. Fingers crossed!

ProximaC

Oct 27, 2009
Tacoma

That is fantastic news! Not all of us have bluetooth enabled vehicles. It's still not standard on most new vehicles. It wasn't in my 2012 Tundra for example.

Just to be clear, this means that even though I bought your xProDock last week (via Amazon), I will be getting the audio cable?

JonBryant

Jun 6, 2010
Seacoast, NH
Received mine. It has a tag on it labeled "UNS" It does not do anything besides charge. Did i get the wrong cable? Also would have liked to seen the cable about an inch and a half shorter.

MikaelPe

Jun 8, 2012
Stony Brook
CarHome Ultra for xProDock coming soon

Update: The Developer of the popular car-mode application CarHome Ultra will be releasing an update of the their app within the next week that supports the xProDock. All Galaxy S 3's and Note II's should work with this. We've tested the app today and found it to work exactly as it should with the Samsung Smartdock mode. Sounds like this will make a lot of customers happy!? Enjoy your evening!

Reactions: osiedacz

oducks

Mar 24, 2011
You are welcome to return your dock if it does not meet your expectation.

go to settings / accessory / Desk home screen display - make sure the box has a check mark in it. .

Doing this just made the desktop dock mode come on, not the car dock. When I use an NFC tag to turn on car dock and car mode, it works fine.
Hoping the new CHU version works right.
Man, this is A LOT more work than I thought it was going to be when I bought the thing. :(

finalhit

Jan 12, 2009
Yup mine says UNS, doesn't do anything but charge...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I emailed them for the same issue. Their sending a replacement. They have decent customer support..just wished there werent so many issues to begin with.

swyped all these spelling errors from my galaxy note 2

raiu

Oct 10, 2008
Using nova launcher and I'm not getting dock mode either

swyped all these spelling errors from my galaxy note 2

I have also started using nova launcher and it launches the sammmy's desktop app as it should. Make sure you are using a micro usb cable and not a car charger. That was what my issue was. I was using a rocketfish car charger from bestbuy plugged into the arm pigtail and it would disable the dock mode screen. Once I used just the cable to a USB charger it worked fine. :good:

MikaelPe

Jun 8, 2012
Stony Brook
New video describing Samsung's Smartdock mode...

As all avid readers of this thread knows Samsung decided with the Jellybean release to NOT include support for "traditional" Android car-mode anymore, except for Galaxy S3's if they are issued by certain US Carriers. Instead their worldwide solution for Note II, Galaxy SIII and presumably forthcoming handsets is to have ONE dock mode, so called "Smartdock" mode.

This is not necessarily a bad change. Within a month or two we anticipate that most popular "car-mode" apps will have been ported by their developer to work with the "Smartdock" mode as well so from an end-user perspective the change will be almost transparent. We at iBOLT are a main "driver" in this process. First out will be the popular application CarHome Ultra which will be updated to support Smartdock mode within the next week.

The only main difference we've seen so far between "car-mode" and "Smartdock mode" is that the icons on the home screen do not turn horizontal automatically with Smartdock mode, although that's probably not so important if you automatically launch a car-home application with your Dock. To clarify to 100% how the Samsung "Smartdock mode" works with a car-dock (in this case xProDock) we've create another little video describing the functionality as well as how the Samsung "default dock" app works. The video is intended also for anyone that has bought, or is thinking about getting the xProDock... Here's the link to the video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkmr5wYWcMA

Keanen

Mar 27, 2008
Nice work iBolt! Please set this item up for Amazon Prime.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon Wireless

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone, we at iBOLT (www.ibolt.co) are working on a "real" car dock for the Note II. As we are finalizing the details it would be great to have feedback and input from this knowledgeable user community. Here's some of the questions where it would be great to have some feedback on: which type of microUSB charging is optimal (fixed position or flexible so it works with cases), car mode (good or not?), wireless charging (does anyone care?), aux-out through microUSB with 9ft cord (too long?). Well, sound off and let us know and we'll read every comment:) Thanks!
    I'm afraid that video confirms to me that you haven't managed to create a dock with one handed operation - you have to use 2 hands tu plug the usb cable in!

There seem to be a lot of one-arm persons in this thread. Don't see what's the big deal of using 2 hands to plug in a cable.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
    nice, i was hoping you guys would make one for the note ii.

please have a stiff-necked cup holder version. i find them much more stable and secure. i personally have a mini cooper, and the cup holders are right in front of the console. the usb cable/aux are right behind them, so it's perfect. 9ft is definitely too long, and would just clutter up the car.

as per the connection, consider the samsung infuse route...where it snaps into the bottom of the phone. wireless charging is nice, but i wouldn't pay more than +20 bux for it.

speaking of which, please do portrait mode, not landscape. portrait is way better for navigation.

last and the least, consider changing your company name.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    So being ever curious I wanted to see the mechanism that they designed this with so I popped it apart. If you want to do this also just slide the bottom mounting points upward off the main back that houses the spring loaded top clamp, Once you get that off remove the four screws and you can open the main housing up which is pretty simple really...

While I had it apart I played around with stretching the springs out a bit to loosen things up since I knew I could replace them after seeing them. I started by just removing one spring but that was to loose so I then hyper stretched just one to see how that changed things up but it was still a bit tight... So I finally stretched the other to around the same amount and reassembled and I like the feel much better... The mount still flexes just a bit under the pressure but not near as much as it did before to the extent of causing the ball joint to move.

If you do this be careful as you can easily over stretch the springs... I stretched mine to the point that they still had light tension when closed all the way. Also, be aware that doing this would probably void any warranty this has.
    xProDock for Galaxy Note II ready soon

All, we are overwhelmed here at iBOLT by the level of interest for the new car-dock. Today we received the first production units and we are shipping by the end of December. We will post images and spec by Monday and also a link to where to purchase. It works with all cases and extended batteries. Stay tuned and thank you all for excellent comments and great discussions!