S5 overheating

Search This thread

farshid50

Mar 6, 2010
Hello everyone,

My new S5 overheats sometimes. I do nothing special like gaming or any heavy duty/force on CPU.
Even, sometimes when I pick up my phone from my desk I feel overheating. I just take the battery out for around 5 minute, and then it will be ok for a day.
Please help and tell me what to do.

jopat

May 25, 2014
Try using a ram manager and determine which app/service is persistently running in the background. Kill it.

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
Which version?

Also it might be a rogue app as previous poster suggested, or Media Scanner getting stuck (that was an issue I experienced back in the Jellybean days...)

jopat

May 25, 2014
Try checking first the games you have installed, there are some games that persistently run in the background and send notifications from time to time. Also, check your microsd, there was an issue with microsd persistently being read by the media scanner, this could be what drakester09 is referring to. It's not really clear if persistent microsd scanning is the microsd's fault or the phone itself, but most reports point to Samsung devices and Sandisk microsd. I've been using both brand combo through Omnia, S1, S3, and now S5 without ever experiencing it though. Microsds used are 2GB, 8GB, 32GB, 64GB.

Last edited:

farshid50

Mar 6, 2010
Thanks for all replies.

(A) There is not any micro SD installed in the phone. (B) No game is installed in the phone. (C) I am monitoring the phone by "watchdog lite" and "battery doctor" for any app unusual activity. Nothing special is found.
Please notice that, exactly in same situation, it happens sometimes once a day or once within two days.

sonicc34

Apr 22, 2013
I had the same problem a few years ago with my SGS1. When i used my phone very much and not restarted it for a few days it was becoming very hot and emptying the battery. Finally it was closing itself due to zero percentage of battery. I updated my SGS1 and the problem was fixed. Maybe your device has some software problems and need to be updated. Overheating can be dangerous especially when your phone is plugged to electricity.
Sorry for poor English.

Last edited:

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
If it is easier, you can always take it back and exchange it for another one, rather than going to the time and effort of fixing it yourself.