Build Quality Concerns

Search This thread

NickS_

Feb 21, 2010
Endwell, NY
Seems like a lot of people ahve the vibrate issue. Mine's been dead for months, as noted in a previous post. Kind of odd

TheTurbanater1298

Oct 25, 2013
London
Hi, my Dad owns the HTC one m8 and it did something very funny today.

As he held it the blacklight turned off. He didn't touch the power key at all. After many presses of the power key, the screen backlight turned it self on.

Then later this evening it decided that the blacklight has finally killed itself completely and if you haven't guessed already it's like trying to play a gameboy in the dark. You can't see a thing on the screen.

I had to hold up my phone with the touch on to see the screen. Took about 30 minutes to unlock, because it was secured by pin number! ?

I've set the phone to no lock screen for now.

Is there anyway to fix this and is this a common problem among HTC one owners?

I'm planning to call my network provider tomorrow and see if warranty will cover it.

I'd also like to mention that the phone is in excellent condition and hasn't got a mark on it. Never dropped once. The handset is 7 months old.

Sent from the sweetest lollipop'd SGS3 i9300

walle4893

Oct 30, 2011
London
My vibration motor just decided to misbehave out of the blue yesterday. I've been doing a lot of googling and surprised to see how common this issue is. Given that the M8 is the HTC flagship you'd think the parts would last longer.

Of course giving it a slight tap on the back brings the vibration back to life for a short period of time but it cant be a fix in a long run. I don't really want to return it because the replacement device might have other issues plus paying $25 to S-off again doesn't feel right

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
I bought my m8 used and have found absolutely no flaws with it. I think it's around a year old. Perfect screen and battery seems good as well. I have a five year old HTC desire still working perfectly as well as my car speedometer and a backup phone.

voidzero

Inactive Recognized Developer
HTC builds very good phones. Other phones are plastic..
HTC One S villle. Full thick aluminium case. Not one issue.
HTC One m7. Mine took purple pictures sometimes, when it gets wormer. Heat issue. Beside that, all great.
HTC One m8. Not one issue.

Same experience. Started with a HTC S1... they were still called PDAs back then. Next one was a HTC Touch Pro. Then a HTC Touch Pro 2. Those Touch Pros had hardware keyboards and Windows 6.5.

Then I got a One S Ville. Still got that one updated, cute little thing, my favorite actually. Then got an M7. Perfect. Got another one of those for the missus, but that one has a purple camera haze in dark environments.

Now I'm on the HTC One M8s, looks similar to the M8, but packs a number of different features. Camera quality is outstanding (13MP camera). But I'm also very careful with this one, more than with the others... I really don't want to break it or even give it a scratch.

The only thing I dislike a little bit about the M8s is the display. No idea how to describe it, but, with the M7 you can look at that screen from any angle. With the M8s not so much, it's a little bit less. It also seems to be a bit more bright. But it's hard to describe. Great phone though. I really hope it won't be HTC's last good phone (because that A9.. brr.. let's pretend it never happend :eek:)

WarCow

Feb 7, 2011
I've used mine for 1½ years now and haven't had any serious issues.

I put a plastic protector on the camera lens when I got it, since I read about those issues and it hasn't been a problem since. And my volume buttons were rattling a little when I got it, another common issue, but seems to have stopped now and it never really bothered me anyway.

SaskFellow

Feb 28, 2013
I've had mine since it launched here basically.

I've dropped it many times, once I dropped it with no case on, fell a few feet, bounced of the inner door frame on a truck then did the spiral into the rough asphalt.

Still works all day everyday. I have the lense protectors. I do tend to have antiglare screen protectors on it. I actually pull out my dot view to play with every now and then.

Just have to work with the camera, and it knocks out very usable pictures.

I really like the shape of my phone, and find others weird.

I honestly do like the feel of the M9 but the camera is such a compromise, and the CPU is lacking in my opinion as well.

I really hope HTC makes an M10 with OIS, dual speakers(screw the haters, give me awesome sound and I'll accept an increase in bezel) and an full matrix OLED screen(none of that sharing sub-pixels) and maybe a 16:10 display, even if it was just 1920x1200, as I could really use some more room in landscape mode. Keep the micro-SD slot, because I like to use external storage, if possible make it easier to replace the battery, and give us cordless charging. With awesome build quality, I'll buy it and upgrade. :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not sure how you see this as a "Troll thread"? - OP is asking for feedback and if anyone else has or had concerns regarding build quality issues.

----------------

My HTC One (Red) was pretty solid, however I feel any issues that the One may of had were probably Ironed out by the time the red was released into the wild. - Hopefully HTC will come back with a big bang, like Nokia they've been around a long time.. Just wondering now when the Samsung buzz will wear off and people start to choose stylish, good looking, feature orientated devices over a plastic device. (Not flaming Samsung, as I've had an S3 and an N3)

And everyone knows these types of threads draw out every single device basher which gives a false representation of the actual prevalence of build quality issues.

That said, name just one device that didn't have any.

As for my HTC experience, the One has been a dream... The rest of them all had a lot of issues. If the M8 follows the M7, there won't be any issues. The ONLY complaint I had about my M7 is the camera tint when not in good lighting that came up and got worse the longer I had the phone.

Speakers? Perfect
    Gap? None
    Display? Perfect
    Durability? Incredible.

If you look in my signature, I've had a ton of HTC devices. Among them, there were some really bad ones. The Sensation? Damn thing got so hot that it would reboot if I used the GPS which made it useless for navigating anywhere. MyTouch 4G? Every time I would restart the device, it would lose its internal storage and act like I factory reset it - it was doing that out of the box. PPC-6800? I lost track of the issues between the screen, overheating, freezing, cracked camera - I replaced it through Sprint 5 times before they gave me a Touch Pro in exchange for it. The original Touch? The screen stopped responding. The Hero? The display cracked even though there was no damage to the glass - the whole thing randomly shattered internally one day.

After the Sensation, I vowed never to go HTC again. Then I got the S4 and my roommate got the One. He couldn't get used to the One coming from the S3 so he wanted to trade me, I did it and I never looked back.
    That should be called the trolls thread!

Sent from my HTC One using XDA premium

Not sure how you see this as a "Troll thread"? - OP is asking for feedback and if anyone else has or had concerns regarding build quality issues.

----------------

My HTC One (Red) was pretty solid, however I feel any issues that the One may of had were probably Ironed out by the time the red was released into the wild. - Hopefully HTC will come back with a big bang, like Nokia they've been around a long time.. Just wondering now when the Samsung buzz will wear off and people start to choose stylish, good looking, feature orientated devices over a plastic device. (Not flaming Samsung, as I've had an S3 and an N3)
    I refuse to read this thread.. I have found nothing wrong with my device and am afraid if I do read it I'll start to find tons of issues pointed out by everyone :p I'm taking control of my ocd

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    And fwiw sometimes these threads cause people to look at their device so closely and see they have the same thing and then it bothers them. Had they never come across a thread like this they probably wouldn't have noticed (the small imperfections not big defects)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    For $700 you better be getting the phone as advertised. If you aren't contempt with the device at that cost you have every right to want a non defective one.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app