• Blocking ads

Votes: 989 64.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

javizap

Feb 2, 2016
I hace a question, every time you import hosts file every old entry is replaced or added ?

When you enable filtre ip traffic and Block with hosts files wakelocks by the app incremento?

Thank in advance

Ban Dan

May 22, 2015
Started testing :)

on Asus Zenfone a450cg (ASUS_T00Q, x86, Android 4.4.2)

** Concurrently using aAFWall+ 1.3.4.1 allowing NetGuard both mobile and VPN.

1. app runs well (and beautiful!), listing all apps with details, UI no problems.

2. seems that whenever activated it stops all access for all apps, regardless of the settings allowing some apps access.

3. when reboot NetGuard reported notification that it can't start. Crashed Service reported at beginning of log.

Please check the following log.

http://pastebin.com/etJEep35

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Started testing :)

on Asus Zenfone a450cg (ASUS_T00Q, x86, Android 4.4.2)

** Concurrently using aAFWall+ 1.3.4.1 allowing NetGuard both mobile and VPN.

1. app runs well (and beautiful!), listing all apps with details, UI no problems.

2. seems that whenever activated it stops all access for all apps, regardless of the settings allowing some apps access.

3. when reboot NetGuard reported notification that it can't start. Crashed Service reported at beginning of log.

Please check the following log.

http://pastebin.com/etJEep35

eu.faircode.netguard1 is not the official NetGuard or something fishy is going on.

javizap

Feb 2, 2016
Thank you for your fast answer.

With 0.81 and all switchs on NetGuard incremented the keep awake time.

I will do more tests.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

Ban Dan

May 22, 2015
eu.faircode.netguard1 is not the official NetGuard or something fishy is going on.

Very true! :)
Was building NetGuard from source on my phone using the amazing AIDE (com.aide.ui). And trying to have both versions side by side. Not completed yet.

Found what the problem was!!!

When using AFWall+ it's not enough to allow VPN to NetGuard, one also needs to allow VPN to each app as well or it will be blocked.

So NetGuard seems to be working VERY well on an x86 4.4.2!!!
Thank you!
I guess that once I've finished testing I'll stay just with NetGuard. :)

I have just released beta version 0.82.
This version will make it possible to download hosts file....

Great! Will try it next!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Very true! :)
Was building NetGuard from source on my phone using the amazing AIDE (com.aide.ui). And trying to have both versions side by side. Not completed yet.

Found what the problem was!!!

Did you succeed building a working version of NetGuard using AIDE?

thunderdust

Feb 6, 2015
Thanks.

About the casting: what does the traffic log say, when you keep NetGuard enabled?

Before we talk about logs, I'll explain the tests I've done today :)

I have TWO Nexus 5's and the results below are consistent with both Nexus's. I have two cast-receivers:

1. Chromecast --> Works pefectly. No problems with Netguard on or off.

2. Miracast/Wifi-direct-enabled LG TV --> If Netguard is on, the Nexus can see the LGTV but fails to connect. Sometimes (about 50% of the time) upon failing to connect, the Nexus freezes up and self-reboots after about 60 seconds. Sometimes it even freezes AFTER I've disabled Netguard.

So in Summary for Miracast-enabled TV:
A. Netguard on: I can see the TV in the casting choices, but can't connect. Sometimes the phone crashes.
B. Netguard on, and then I disable it: Sometimes it will do option A, sometimes option C (sometimes casts successfully, sometimes it will disconnect plus/minus crash the phone.)
C. Netguard off (never enabled since boot): Casts successfully.

I'm not sure which log you would like to see or how to find it (sorry, I'm not that knowledgeable with log stuff), but if you let me know, I'd be happy to send to you :)

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Before we talk about logs, I'll explain the tests I've done today :)

I have TWO Nexus 5's and the results below are consistent with both Nexus's. I have two cast-receivers:

1. Chromecast --> Works pefectly. No problems with Netguard on or off.

2. Miracast/Wifi-direct-enabled LG TV --> If Netguard is on, the Nexus can see the LGTV but fails to connect. Sometimes (about 50% of the time) upon failing to connect, the Nexus freezes up and self-reboots after about 60 seconds. Sometimes it even freezes AFTER I've disabled Netguard.

So in Summary for Miracast-enabled TV:
A. Netguard on: I can see the TV in the casting choices, but can't connect. Sometimes the phone crashes.
B. Netguard on, and then I disable it: Sometimes it will do option A, sometimes option C (sometimes casts successfully, sometimes it will disconnect plus/minus crash the phone.)
C. Netguard off (never enabled since boot): Casts successfully.

I'm not sure which log you would like to see or how to find it (sorry, I'm not that knowledgeable with log stuff), but if you let me know, I'd be happy to send to you :)
I need a logcat capture using adb from your PC to look into this.

See here for how to install adb:
http://lifehacker.com/the-easiest-way-to-install-androids-adb-and-fastboot-to-1586992378

This is the command line command to capture a logcat:

Code:
adb logcat >logcat.txt

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro
The work you're putting into this and how well it does what it does is remarkable. Thank you.

Consider building a decent web browser for Android and ask anything you want for it, I'd be first in line.

(ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ

Reactions: M66B

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The work you're putting into this and how well it does what it does is remarkable. Thank you.

Consider building a decent web browser for Android and ask anything you want for it, I'd be first in line.

(ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ
I like to do something useful with the time I have and NetGuard is one of the results of it.

Building a browser is a huge undertaking and with so many browsers available already I think there is little to add.
I tend to concentrate on just a few projects and trying to do it really good and NetGuard is not finished yet, so no time for a browser anyway.

Please rate in the Play store if you can to compensate for all those unfair low ratings.

thunderdust

Feb 6, 2015
I need a logcat capture using adb from your PC to look into this.

See here for how to install adb:
http://lifehacker.com/the-easiest-way-to-install-androids-adb-and-fastboot-to-1586992378

This is the command line command to capture a logcat:

Code:
adb logcat > logcat.txt

Thanks for the explanation! I've attached the catlog to a github issue, like I'm guessing the way you'd like issues dealt with. Sorry, my logcat is almost 12,000 lines! I'm not sure how to shorten it without losing lines you might want to see. (I pretty much have no idea what you are looking for. haha)
https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/issues/274

javizap

Feb 2, 2016
I´m testing 0.82 from this morning and problem I had yerterday with Netguard keeping active the phone has not apear again.

One question, once you download host file with this new version, its imported by itself? because I don´t find a file in the any folder of the phone afer the downloads finish.

Thanks again for this great app, I´ve been following XDA for the last two years but never got my own user till I started using your app.

Reactions: M66B

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I´m testing 0.82 from this morning and problem I had yerterday with Netguard keeping active the phone has not apear again.

One question, once you download host file with this new version, its imported by itself? because I don´t find a file in the any folder of the phone afer the downloads finish.

Thanks again for this great app, I´ve been following XDA for the last two years but never got my own user till I started using your app.
For your convenience the downloaded hosts file is imported right away :)

Note that it will be used only if the corresponding setting is on.

Reactions: javizap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.