Handset getting very hot

Search This thread

Abernus

Apr 7, 2009
Hi all,

I know this has been asked before but instead of hijacking someone else’s thread I thought it best to start my own.

I got the HTC one X last Saturday (07/04/12) I have been messing around and getting used to the phone for a week now as I was an iPhone user. So I have not done much with the phone lately. Today I decided on my lunch break to play the game Where's My Water. After about 20 mins I noticed that the screen was very hot. In fact it was that hot it was uncomfortable to touch (mainly at the top) also the back of the phone (mainly at the top) was hot.

I know some people have mentioned that the handset get warm but mine is getting very hot, is this normal for this phone or would this be classed as a fault?? If this is a fault what should I do, contact HTC or go back to the retailer?

Thanks

schriss

Feb 6, 2006
Dublin
As far as I know, you would check with retailer for replacement, if this turns out to be a defect. Mine never got that hot, but I don't remember playing for more than few minutes.

Abernus

Apr 7, 2009
THanks schriss for a quick responce. I would also like to hear from other users who have done a bit of gaming on the phone to see if they also experience the same heat issue.

ULAMSS5

Apr 7, 2012
I have this problem too, but I've seen many others report this so I'm wondering if this is just the way the phone is made.

Is there any definitive way to find out how hot my phone gets, without relying on my feeling, such that I can send some actual numbers to HTC support/cross verify with you guys that this is actually an individual phone defect, and not just bad design present on all of the HOXs?

Last edited:

schriss

Feb 6, 2006
Dublin
How much is infrared/laser thermometer?

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

I just launched Shadowgun for 5 mins and phone got worm, not nowhere near "hot". It didn't become wormer and wormer, just stayed "worm".

Abernus

Apr 7, 2009
JayceOoi: My wife found the exact same link yesterday at work and sent it to me. I decided to try and call the retailer anyway and they agreed to swap it out. So today I have a new phone and will need to pop it on charge tonight and see what it does after a gaming session.

I know they can get warm but not the temps I was getting :p Fingers crossed.

schriss

Feb 6, 2006
Dublin
It's subjective.. I guess until we all get infrared/laser temp, we can't compare. For me it never gets hot, its always either worm or very worm, but I would never call it hot.

dengseng

Oct 10, 2011
Adelaide
Hi all,

I know this has been asked before but instead of hijacking someone else’s thread I thought it best to start my own.

I got the HTC one X last Saturday (07/04/12) I have been messing around and getting used to the phone for a week now as I was an iPhone user. So I have not done much with the phone lately. Today I decided on my lunch break to play the game Where's My Water. After about 20 mins I noticed that the screen was very hot. In fact it was that hot it was uncomfortable to touch (mainly at the top) also the back of the phone (mainly at the top) was hot.

I know some people have mentioned that the handset get warm but mine is getting very hot, is this normal for this phone or would this be classed as a fault?? If this is a fault what should I do, contact HTC or go back to the retailer?

Thanks

I have this problem of overheating too...
which is also playing games mostly
at the top part too...
I knew how hot it was by using this app called batter indicator
it went to 55 degrees Celcius and as mentioned by the previous post it's normal
it always happens though, whenever I play games and have to stop

I'm also wondering whether I should check with my retailer
may I know where you got your phone from?

Last edited:

ahm09

Aug 15, 2007
UAE - Al Ain
for me i experienced this one time , i was just starting a call and i felt the phone is getting so hot next to my ear , i ended the call as soon as i can ( it was my boss , i dont htin he will belive me if i told her that i have to end up the call becaus emy phone is geytting hot :p ) and the device temp didn't go down so i turned it off for a while the turned it , it seemed fine after that

anoniemouse

Jul 2, 2010
I noticed mine was getting quite hot today just in stand by mode it shut its self off after a while, think i may have a fault on the handset as when i checked to see how the battery was doing just before it shut down it was on 28%

spyz88

Oct 28, 2008
This happened to me browsing for 20 minutes straight on the 1.28 OTA. The battery monitor was reading 55C. I do not understand the reason for all this heat. I guess I can see gaming getting it that hot, but browsing with no Flash?

Needless to stay I think I'm going to stick with the Galaxy Nexus for a while longer and send back the One X. Too many issues for a $700 phone.

Abernus

Apr 7, 2009
Well after having my new handset for a few days now I can confirm it gets nowhere near as hot as the old one did. However there is a different fault now. The screen seems loose in one corner of the device.

I have been reading reports of screen flexing. When I press (not hard) on the bottom left of the screen you have hear the screen stick back down the pop up again. If you give it a slightly harder press it will stay stuck for a while and then pop back up. There is no visible gap between the screen but there is play in the screen. Not sure if I should take this one back or just leave it as the phone still works.
Well after having my new handset for a few days now I can confirm it gets no where near as hot as the old one did. Hwoever there is a different fault now. The screen sems loose in one corner of the device.

Tinderbox (UK)

Mar 31, 2010
England, UK
Mine went for 100% to 70% in 1 hour and i was not running anything on it, it got hot just under the camera, it went up to 45.9c , I checked running processes and facebook was using 10% my highest process, strange how i have never even used it, I killed it and it re-appeared, I decided to re-boot the phone and everything went back to normal.

I have not played a single game on my HOX since i got it, so much for ICS , and android closing down misbehaving software automatically.

John.