AT&T OTA update strips Universal Search feature

Search This thread

the1stSecond

Jun 25, 2012

the1stSecond

Jun 25, 2012

BonesHopkins

Jun 29, 2012
Didn't want to put this in a development section since I am not a dev but wanted to share.

This morning I received an OTA updated on my I747, that Updated my kernel and Modem. I went from UCLEM to UCLG1

Here is what changed

Old Medem and Kernel
Screenshot_old.png

New kernel and Modem
Screenshot_old.png

ummm....maybe I'm missing something but I don't see a single difference between your old and new screenshots... :confused:

MCKang25

Jul 5, 2012
So to clarify this is NOT the OTA that the international versions got fixing, the standby bug, brightness in menu etc...

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
Opps give me a sec, Ill update first post. I didnt name the files in photobucket haha

Can someone confirm that you can just install the Google search apk after the update and get local search back like the Sprint people are saying is possible

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
So, since this "update" didn't include any of the bug fixes or new features that the international got, and only RIPPED out the search device feature to appease Apple, I see ZERO reason to update. I'll be staying on my rooted UCALEM stock for a while (until CM10 draws its first breath)

On another note, before I go looking, does someone know how to permanently ignore the update notifications if you choose to postpone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342040126805.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342040126805.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 789

defnow

Dec 6, 2010
San Antonio, TX
So, since this "update" didn't include any of the bug fixes or new features that the international got, and only RIPPED out the search device feature to appease Apple, I see ZERO reason to update. I'll be staying on my rooted UCALEM stock for a while (until CM10 draws its first breath)

On another note, before I go looking, does someone know how to permanently ignore the update notifications if you choose to postpone?

I believe you freeze device management through titanium back-up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: zmore

the1stSecond

Jun 25, 2012

Did you install CWM (a customer recovery) after your stock root? If you did you can just install this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1732039

Then just remove the update service from the phone using Aroma. If ever ready/want to install an available over the air update just revert back to UCLEM stock rom and your update service will be re-installed. That's what I did.

freakboy13

Sep 15, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
What he said...
Get TiBu and freeze every single at&t app you have. I also froze anything with Samsung on it to including kies.
Unless an update is critical I never update cuz it's usually after the fact you find out "they took away my root..."
"they removed what? "...etc. etc .
My phone. My way.

alanbot

Mar 29, 2011
GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk does work and fixes the searching, but once you reboot it goes away and needs to be installed again. Is there a fix for this?

bonefan03

Jun 30, 2010
GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk does work and fixes the searching, but once you reboot it goes away and needs to be installed again. Is there a fix for this?

I'm not sure, but depending on how you installed it it may be able to remain after reboot. For example, if you installed it like any other application (i.e. From your phone) the application was installed in your data folder. But, if you tried installing the apk using adb to your system folder it might hold thru reboot. I could be wrong but give it a try it might work

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

humblehyper

Nov 10, 2006
That sucks they removed the universal search function on this update. I ain't updating mine! I paid for it and they can't take that away!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CWM-flashable version of OTA leaving Universal Search

I put together a CWM-flashable version of the OTA that preserves root and doesn't remove Universal Search.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1768826
    Pulled from Sprint GS3 forum. Installed on my phone after update via Root Explorer. Backed up the non-universal search apk and Copy Pasted the universal search apk into /system/app and fixed permission, then a reboot. Works perfectly

Somebody could pull a copy of the apk from at&t GS3 version and post it here, but im guessing it's the same (Sprint version is 1.4.1.338691). Is it the same for AT&T? Forgot to check and do that myself.
    I looked through the thread an couldn't find an answer. I saw that you could maintain root; But I am not rooted now. If I update with the recent ota will I be able to root after that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
    Yes, you are still able to root after the update. I rooted and installed aokp then Odin back to stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
    Surely this is a class-action in the making? People purchase product with a specific feature set, feature is later removed. Now, it might be cheaper than fighting with Apple, or might be enforced by the courts, but it doesn't change the fact that something you paid for has been taken away.
    OK,

Rooted, protected with OTA Rootkeeper, and flashed stock recovery. Got the update installed and OTA Rootkeeper restored root. Happyface.

(doesn't fix standby reporting bug)

Screenshot_2012-07-13-13-46-05.png

Screenshot_2012-07-13-13-45-49.png

Screenshot_2012-07-13-13-45-27.png