[Q] Gmail no longer opening .xsls?

Search This thread

tmb993

Apr 5, 2012
For the past year or so I've been using my gmail app on my phone to receive and edit .xsls files for work. All of the sudden I can no longer open them. When I select the attachted file it prompts me to chose from a selection of irrelevant apps to open the file. I've even downloaded specific apps; in addition to Polaris Office 5 which is what the Note 3 comes with and what, up until now, has been used to open these files with, and none of them will show up in the selection of apps to open the file with. Also, when trying to manually browse the file into the specific application it is now found among my downloaded apps. I'm not sure this is relevant, but its worth noting that I can no longer open these file types from the gmail webpage on my computer either. So I'm not exactly sure where the problem lies, I'm just hoping for some insight, if any would be willing to offer it.

Thanks in advance.

Sent From My AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

slimslim

Oct 14, 2009
Mine opens automatically in Quickoffice, but only . xls, didn't try .xsls files. Download Quickoffice by Google

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

tmb993

Apr 5, 2012
And just in case you guys couldn't figure it out, I meant .xlsx format, not .xsls.

DrAzzy

Aug 7, 2011
GMail cannot open .xlsx, and I don't think it's ever been able to.

However, on a stock Note 3, you can open .xlsx from within gmail and via other methods - using Polaris Office. By default, gmail will use that to open .xlsx files on the Note 3. Note that when you open from gmail, and then hold home to get the task manager, it shows that window as being gmail, not polaris.

My guess is that you removed or froze Polaris Office. Put it back or defrost it, and see if it works.

tmb993

Apr 5, 2012
GMail cannot open .xlsx, and I don't think it's ever been able to.

However, on a stock Note 3, you can open .xlsx from within gmail and via other methods - using Polaris Office. By default, gmail will use that to open .xlsx files on the Note 3. Note that when you open from gmail, and then hold home to get the task manager, it shows that window as being gmail, not polaris.

My guess is that you removed or froze Polaris Office. Put it back or defrost it, and see if it works.

I've been opening them via Polaris office for some time now and all the sudden it won't any more. I have the Polaris app running and everything. When I click on the attached file it gives me the option to open it using S Note, Nova Launcher and a couple other apps that can't read files. I don't get what the issue is. I have a few apps downloaded that are supposed to be able to read .xlsx files but it never gives me the option to open the file with those apps.

tmb993

Apr 5, 2012
I downloaded the file from the website version of gmail and I think the problem is that the files are downloading as .bin files and not as what they are being sent to me as. Any ideas as to why that would happen?