[Q] Convert Verizon M8 to International...Is it possible?

Search This thread

mukeshd

Jan 15, 2012
this shouldn't pose a problem if someone is using it outside Verizon band i.e. global mode right?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW

Aug 8, 2014
Vienna
this shouldn't pose a problem if someone is using it outside Verizon band i.e. global mode right?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW

Did you ever end up with a longer explanation as to why this wouldn't work? I too live outside the US but have a VZW m8. I won't be using CDMA here. Ever.
Is it the hardware in it (CDMA receiver) that makes this conversion impossible even if I were to flash the international RUU and firmware on to it? so far, I've just used the international ROMs and it's been mostly fine. It got my data working on my tiny, crappy, provider here too when it wouldn't in stock global mode from VZW.

motumbo

Aug 7, 2010
I just flashed arhd 8.1 and now my phone works perfectly in gsm networks all over Latin America including LTE. So if you are planning to use your phone in a gsm network don't worry it works perfect at least 3.5G, lte whenever bands are compatible.

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
SIM lock, that's why.

I've been in the smartphone game for 4 years, and I always thought CDMA was CDMA was CDMA and no two ways about it. I knew LTE was GSM, but I thought that was only for data. Now I'm hearing from the US Cellular crowd (they're a regional CDMA operator) that their phones can be SIM unlocked and can be used on AT&T and T-Mobile. As in, voice as well as data. Naturally, I called BS, but supposedly, they're doing it. Thing is, you have to be out of your contract. And then go into the carrier and ask them to unlock the SIM. If you're still on contract, they'll tell you to go pound sand. It used to be illegal to do it at all, but President Obama signed a bill that legalized carrier/SIM unlocking. So now they can do it. Whether they will or not... that might be a problem. But US Cellular, for their faults, is a 'friendly' carrier and they tend to look out for customers... sometimes... so I guess some of their customers are having good luck with that. Sounds like BS; I agree. But that's what they're saying.

SponsOne

Feb 24, 2012
I apologize for the newb question, but I am a little confused. I live in South America and I am looking to have this phone shipped to me from the States.

My question is: If I root it and flash a ROM like Cleanrom, can I use my phone in South America to make calls and send/receive texts? Is it as easy as it was with the S4 where I just had to switch it to global mode in the settings menu and then change the SIM card?

Thank you in advance

CHEVYbarracuda1

Sep 16, 2012
Podgorica
So im also outside the US but when i was there i got the phone and now i cant update my phone to latest software version, and that bugs me. Tried S-OFF with firewater isnt working so looks like im stuck with 4.4.2. Btw i am so desperate that i wont be getting any software updates..
Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

mobilemedic

Jan 22, 2007
Snowflake
my 2 cents

my 2 cents.
I am in Arizona but I use my Vzw M8 on a gsm hspa carrier only. i am on 4.4.4 with soff. I paid my 25.00 to get my phone soff as i couldnt find any other way. I wanted a GPE phone and strip anything vzw related. i have read verizon has different memory areas on this phone and is why you cannot flash a a gsm ruu on it.

first things first. soff fully unlocked (verizon does NOT sim lock these phones) Sunshine 25 bucks

you need a special vzw version of twrp 2.7.1.0 so it will flash roms correctly.

backup your phone !

i recomend if you want a pure android experience you use DigitalHigh Gpe for M8vzw rom

set your apns

done

i apologize for crappy typing. using my tablet :)

hope this helps someone. the right vzw version of twrp was my biggest issue.

Last edited:

mashk

Mar 9, 2012
Nairobi
I live in Kenya, I'm S-OFF & always flash any ROM I feel like.
Its very easy to do it n works wonders.

Sent from my unknown using XDA Free mobile app

rickylambert

Jun 8, 2012
San Isidro
So did you changed your phone to international version ?

Well, in fact I am now running stock 5.01 Sense WWE stock International ROM with the addition of Elite kernel on top(bootloop if not), VZW firmware, CID changed to HTC__001, not rooted. I am able to check for OTA´s with success but sadly no one has been released yet.

However, I suspect things can mess up if OTA is applied, as it can modify firmware/kernel. Will know as soon as it is released.

anassaad

Jan 15, 2015
casablanca
Well, in fact I am now running stock 5.01 Sense WWE stock International ROM with the addition of Elite kernel on top(bootloop if not), VZW firmware, CID changed to HTC__001, not rooted. I am able to check for OTA´s with success but sadly no one has been released yet.

However, I suspect things can mess up if OTA is applied, as it can modify firmware/kernel. Will know as soon as it is released.

I followed the steps below but in the end my device redemare on bootloaeder without Roma
I am blocked

adb shell
su
echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x31\x00\x30\x00\ x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384

exit
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash zip 4.16.401.10-Firmware.zip
adb reboot bootloader
Fastboot oem rebootRUU
Flash fastboot zip RUU-HTC_One_M8_WWE_5.0.1-4.16.401.10.zip
adb reboot bootloader
Factory reset
Fastboot reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.0-m8.img
factory reset

I restore the current version 4.3.0 verizon ViperOneM8

thank yo

crazykas

Jun 11, 2011
Japan
Google Pixel 8
I followed the steps below but in the end my device redemare on bootloaeder without Roma
I am blocked

adb shell
su
echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x31\x00\x30\x00\ x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384

exit
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash zip 4.16.401.10-Firmware.zip
adb reboot bootloader
Fastboot oem rebootRUU
Flash fastboot zip RUU-HTC_One_M8_WWE_5.0.1-4.16.401.10.zip
adb reboot bootloader
Factory reset
Fastboot reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.0-m8.img
factory reset

I restore the current version 4.3.0 verizon ViperOneM8

thank yo

If you want international ROM follow this guide http://xdaforums.com/verizon-htc-one-m8/general/guide-how-to-flash-international-roms-t3098427

Reactions: anassaad

Top Liked Posts