Xposed Framework for Android N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

inasm

Jul 17, 2013
Honest question, why is asking for an ETA so frowned upon here?

I mean, I understand that it's impossible to give an exact date, but I think that many of the people asking would like to know if it could be available within a week, or if it will probably take more than half a year. Or if there is no plan on updating this at all even.

Maybe no one even has an indication of how long it will take, but even "probably anywhere between 2 weeks and 6 months" would be nice.

benleonheart

Jun 25, 2008
somewhere
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 5

I mean, I understand that it's impossible to give an exact date, but I think that many of the people asking would like to know if it could be available within a week, or if it will probably take more than half a year. Or if there is no plan on updating this at all even.

Maybe no one even has an indication of how long it will take, but even "probably anywhere between 2 weeks and 6 months" would be nice.

Because one ETA request is fine, but 109,248,923,058,718,293 requests feels like pressure, for something that you're not getting payed for. Not only that, but that time is time you're not getting back, you drift away from family, friends, and life - much like a real job - without the pay. So the fun starts to wear off enthusiastically speaking and it becomes a burden rather than enjoyment.

The "Frown uponment" is not actually coming from the developer, but from their fanbase, because some of the fans do understand that. It's a way of showing support, IMO.

Last edited:

Momotani-Hitoshi

Nov 23, 2013
Curious how much work needs to be done for Xposed to work with Nougat. Don't think it is as much as the switch from Dalvik to Art, but I see lots of new stuff like seamless update using multiple partitions and direct boot encryption.

RusherDude

Aug 24, 2012
Curious how much work needs to be done for Xposed to work with Nougat. Don't think it is as much as the switch from Dalvik to Art, but I see lots of new stuff like seamless update using multiple partitions and direct boot encryption.

Seamless updates will only be for devices starting on nougat, aka LG V20 and future nexus (require different partitions layout).

On android N there's a change from ART to JIT+ART, I don't know if this impact xposed or impacts is much.

Last edited:

Momotani-Hitoshi

Nov 23, 2013
Seamless updates will only be for devices starting on nougat, aka LG V20 and future nexus (require different partitions layout).

On android N there's a change from ART to JIT+ART, I don't know if this impact xposed or impacts is much.

Google probably doesn't want do extra work supporting and/or dealing with users trying to re-partition their own existing nexus and screwing it up.

RusherDude

Aug 24, 2012
Google probably doesn't want do extra work supporting and/or dealing with users trying to re-partition their own existing nexus and screwing it up.

That is not the problem, the problem is that Google would need to re-partition (thus format data) every device to have seamless updates, and of course they are not gonna do that (apart from the risk of ****ing up some models with the repartitions, specially given all the android ecosystem).

Momotani-Hitoshi

Nov 23, 2013
That is not the problem, the problem is that Google would need to re-partition (thus format data) every device to have seamless updates, and of course they are not gonna do that (apart from the risk of ****ing up some models with the repartitions, specially given all the android ecosystem).

Yea, that's what I meant on doing extra work.

Kyuubi10

Feb 21, 2014

Because one ETA request is fine, but 109,248,923,058,718,293 requests feels like pressure, for something that you're not getting payed for. Not only that, but that time is time you're not getting back, you drift away from family, friends, and life - much like a real job - without the pay. So the fun starts to wear off enthusiastically speaking and it becomes a burden rather than enjoyment.

The "Frown uponment" is not actually coming from the developer, but from their fanbase, because some of the fans do understand that. It's a way of showing support, IMO.

Thanks for answering, but I'd also like to give my own opinion.
Asking for ETA should be fine, DEMANDING an ETA is not!
It's up to the developer whether he is willing to give an answer or not, and whoever asks the ETA question should be fully accepting of any answer they may get from the developer...even if it is a negative answer or one which they might not like.

On the other hand in order to avoid asking questions (any questions, including feature requests) which have been asked multiple times before newbies should be taught to use the search function. This is something that has been repeated multiple times over multiple threads, if you have a question search for the answer prior to asking it in case someone else has already asked for it before.

Better than asking for the ETA of a project it is better to ask the dev for an update on how the project is going. You might even get insider information which will help you understand how difficult the task of being a developer truly is. This might even mean that you could offer yourself to help, all in the spirit of getting the project completed faster. This way you'll be in the ETA loop and will be able to answer those who ask when the dev is not available.

TL;DR
1. Search before asking
2. Demanding an ETA is not ok, if you ask and Dev doesn't reply he doesn't owe you anything.
3. Ask for updates, not ETAs...and offer help if possible.

trevorcobb

Jun 14, 2008
just want to share in the enthusiasm for the development efforts for Xposed Framework for API24. happy to take it whenever it comes, and i appreciate the hard work that must be going into it.

Lord. Tech

May 6, 2014
Lahore
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
wohooo!! N is here! i cant wait to flash xposed on this beauty, it is THEEEEE single reason i dont ever update to newer android versions, till xposed is made compatible.. i mean honestly speaking, there is no life in android without xposed and obviously root! gestures,visual customisations, little quirky stuff u never knew u needed, the occasional hacking n ''harmless'' spying lol, the list goes on.... :D @rovo89, u rock man!

Last edited:

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
wohooo!! N is here! i cant wait to flash xposed on this beauty, it is THEEEEE single reason i dont ever update to newer android versions, till xposed is made compatible.. i mean honestly speaking, there is no life in android without xposed and obviously root! gestures,visual customisations, little quirky stuff u never knew u needed, the occasional hacking n ''harmless'' spying lol, the list goes on.... :D Rovo, u rock man!
Well to be honest at some point you will have to learn to live without it. Google is righting android with each release and sooner or later it will not work anymore with no work around.

Lord. Tech

May 6, 2014
Lahore
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Well to be honest at some point you will have to learn to live without it. Google is righting android with each release and sooner or later it will not work anymore with no work around.
Man, why u say that :( idk why would google want soo many of it's users to stop "enjoying" their technology, it's not like everyone is involved in malicious activities, i really really hope that day never comes when we have to be confined to a predetermined standard of "freedom" on things which are now such a personal part of our life, like our phones.. and taking away options from us.. It kinda saddens me tbh

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Man, why u say that :( idk why would google want soo many of it's users to stop "enjoying" their technology, it's not like everyone is involved in malicious activities, i really really hope that day never comes when we have to be confined to a predetermined standard of "freedom" on things which are now such a personal part of our life, like our phones.. and taking away options from us.. It kinda saddens me tbh

So do I but the reality of the matter is that as android becomes more secure. Things like this may become impossible. I hope it doesnt, but I have seen too many big projects like this fall after years. I wish the Dev all the luck.

Reactions: Lord. Tech

eriklinsen

May 20, 2010
Barendrecht
Does somebody know if Rovo89 is working at Xposed at all?
His last post on the forum was on the 13th of august.
Off course everybody should take a brake once and a while, but it is more then 3 weeks now.

I'm waiting to push Android N to my Nexus 5X since I'm using Xposed on Android M now. But when Rovo89 has stopt developing I should reinstall without Xposed after all.
So I'm not pushing him to develop the N version quickly, I only want to know if he is developing Xposed at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The source code of Android N isn't released yet, so I can't work on Xposed support for it yet.
    There's not much to say at the moment - I haven't started looking into Nougat support yet, expect for syncing the source code to the build server.
    I didn't have that much time for Xposed in the past weeks/month, due to vacation, sickness, private stress and for many other reasons.

The time I had was spent mostly on the server move a while ago and on preparing a new version of Xposed Installer, which would be the prerequisite for the official systemless Xposed. I'm still working on that, and it's much more effort than I had thought due to all those little and bigger things that I want to change/improve. I was wondering whether I should pause these efforts and look into Nougat instead, but two huge projects in parallel are just too much when you have only a few hours per week. Besides that, Nougat usage seems to be still pretty low.

That means: I'm working hard on finishing the work on the installer. Once that is done, I'll either try to get systemless support out (as that was the reason to get started with the installer) or start with Nougat. Not sure yet. Maybe a combination of both, as I'm not sure whether stock ROMs will still run with modified /system at all.
    Is there a time of the year where ETAs are acceptable? I keep reading that it's rude.

Yeah, you are allowed to ask for an ETA between February 30th and February 31st ;) But only on those two days.
    Now we are at the time of the year were we are supposed to ask that one infamous question. When will be Xposed Framework for Android N be released? I know it's really too early to ask but still want to throw in the question just to be sure. :)
    Thread cleaned
    If you are here to make a worthless post like "Xposed is dead" hit the power off button instead of "Send"
    This site is to discuss development not to cry when you can't have something fast enough
    If you are not working on bringing Xposed to N or above, or have good alternatives, leave this thread!
    Posts will be deleted going forward without notice
    Repeat offenders will have actions taken upon their account
    Do what this site was created for...LEARN how to do things for yourself!
    The good people in this thread, please do not respond to troll posts but report them so they can be removed
    Thank you for your cooperation
    Friendly Neighborhood Moderator