[PORT] Amazon Kindle Fire "Silk" Browser

Search This thread

Misune

Dec 4, 2011
Wisconsin
Update: I know this thread is super old but a Fellow member got us a working link: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=846993&d=1325992799 Thanks lifegap .[/I]

After many test I managed to get Silk to work on a different OS. This worked on CM7 for Kindle Fire. If you get any errors please post.

Here is the link to the spreadsheet. Please check to see if your device is supported!

Install Tutorial:
1. Download the pack here.

2. Use Root Explorer to copy the lib files to /system/lib set permissions the same as the others.

3. Install all of the .apks like you would side load.

4. Copy the com.amazon.cloud9-1.apk from /data/app to /system/app

5. Reboot and enjoy

Check out this post from theverge! Here!

Edit (7/8/2012): Removed dead download links. All installer seems to be lost forever. If anyone still has the file please PM me. There is now no more spreedsheet editing. Most devices are listed so check it out.

Edit (1/6/2012): Made and Uploaded Silk Installer. Please read the directions in a later post. This is my last post for this project but I will still support it if people have erorrs.

Edit (1/4/2012): Updated SilkPort with puneet_champ's apk. Also Please stop screwing around with the spreadsheet.

Edit (1/4/2012): Updated Silk Pack/Added new mirror. (Removed Account and Sync) and Cleaned the post.

Edit (1/4/2012) As suggested by Cobracat03 you could try OTARootKeeper to use Amazon Prime Videos. If you can login to your amazon account through the Account and Sync settings post your method here or PM me if you can't post.

Last edited:

ccrowe3

Dec 25, 2010
Clarksville, TN
This worked on my ATRIX also. Interesting. I used everything but the account and sync aol because it would have replaced one of my files and I didn't want to do that.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

brett10

May 28, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Thanks so much for this! I've been patiently waiting for someone to do this! I tried myself but couldn't get it to work right.

Edit: I followed the instuctions, except I couldn't replace the accounts and sync, I haven't tried to manually do it via root explorer. I didn't think it worked at first, I tried to open the silk browser it FC'd on me. So I reset my kindle and it's working like a charm :D

Last edited:

terracode

Aug 2, 2009
terracode.com
It appears that the AccountAndSync.apk may be needed in order to get Prime videos working. Currently it doesn't recognize one as a prime subscriber.

The Silk Browser has the 'Accelerate Browsing' option checked (active) and greyed out (cannot deactivate).

Overall works well... Thanks!

Edit: I renamed the existing AccountAndSync.apk and added the one from the package. Still cannot find a way of adding credentials that are recognized by the VOD app. Currently it says that unit is not configured properly for playing videos when a video purchase is attempted.

Last edited:

beepFTW

Feb 23, 2011
Works perfectly! Thank you! Now is there any way you can port the stock rom keyboard? That would be great!

bennettg

Nov 11, 2010
got the libs moved just fine. couldn't install any of the apk's. got a parsing problem each time. any ideas? i'm using a rooted optimus v with the bumblebee rom.

bennettg

Nov 11, 2010
appreciate the help, but it still failed. i received the following on the terminal when trying to install the apk thru adb:

Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK]

any other suggestions?

bjanice44

May 7, 2009
After many test I managed to get Silk to work on a different OS. This worked on CM7 for Kindle Fire. If you get any errors please post.

Install Tutorial:
1. Download the pack Here

2. Use Root Explorer to copy the lib files to /system/lib set permissions the same as the others.

4. Copy the silk apk from /data/app to /system/app

5. Reboot and enjoy

Edit: You might not have to install account and sync settings. You can pick.

Edit2: I don't have cm7 installed so I dont know if it works but replace the following in build.prop

ro.build.fingerprint (Try this one first, if it does not work change the next one also)
Code:
ro.build.fingerprint=generic/blaze/blaze:2.3.4/GINGERBREAD/6.2_user_3003020:user/release-keys

o.build.description
Code:
ro.build.description=blaze-user 2.3.4 GINGERBREAD 6.2_user_3003020 release-keys

If this doesn't work then you will have to sit tight because I am going to install cm7 on the first to fine tune this port.

Awesome.. thanks!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

irajames1176

Jan 17, 2010
Alaska
This is awesome thank you, is there a way to port over the Kindle Reader? The one in the Android market doesn't have the option for bigger letters like on the Fire, thanks for your time

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

DeerSteak

Jul 25, 2011
This is awesome thank you, is there a way to port over the Kindle Reader? The one in the Android market doesn't have the option for bigger letters like on the Fire, thanks for your time

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Yes it does. Tap the screen then hit the menu button. Mine has font size, face, and line spacing controls. At least on this Fire running cm7.

periferral

Feb 20, 2009
Yes it does. Tap the screen then hit the menu button. Mine has font size, face, and line spacing controls. At least on this Fire running cm7.

I did notice however, that the KF version of the Kindle app renders books differently from the stock app. Also some books will not load at all on the Kindle App from the google market on the KF. I ported the KF Kindle app onto cm7 but I'm stuck because I cannot login into my Amazon account from cm7 (cannot register device)

For one, I could not install Accounts and Sync (anyone know how to get this installed?). Another reason I was thinking this might be failing is because Amazon expects to get a 16 digit serial number from the device during registration. My guess is the cm7 build prop does not provide this and so the registration fails. Thoughts?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: I know this thread is super old but a Fellow member got us a working link: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=846993&d=1325992799 Thanks lifegap .[/I]

Here is the link to the spreadsheet. Please check to see if your device is supported!

Install Tutorial:
    1. Download the pack here.

4. Copy the com.amazon.cloud9-1.apk from /data/app to /system/app

5. Reboot and enjoy

Check out this post from theverge! Here!

Edit (7/8/2012): Removed dead download links. All installer seems to be lost forever. If anyone still has the file please PM me. There is now no more spreedsheet editing. Most devices are listed so check it out.

Edit (1/6/2012): Made and Uploaded Silk Installer. Please read the directions in a later post. This is my last post for this project but I will still support it if people have erorrs.

Edit (1/4/2012): Updated SilkPort with puneet_champ's apk. Also Please stop screwing around with the spreadsheet.

Edit (1/4/2012): Updated Silk Pack/Added new mirror. (Removed Account and Sync) and Cleaned the post.

Edit (1/4/2012) As suggested by Cobracat03 you could try OTARootKeeper to use Amazon Prime Videos. If you can login to your amazon account through the Account and Sync settings post your method here or PM me if you can't post.
    For those getting FCs on HP Touchpad!

For those getting force closes on HP touchpad and other devices , try this out..

The issue is that it is expecting a permission for the browser app (android.permission.PREVENT_POWER_KEY) which is not there.

I added the permission in the cloud9 browser apk and repackaged it. It works on my HP Touchpad with XRON 2.8.

Find the repackaged apk at:
    http://bit.ly/cloud9browser

Install it like before and reboot.

Hope it works :)
    Probably never. Silk browser will be Amazon's. They don't like to share like Apple.

When the hell does apple share?

Sent from my SGH-T839 using XDA
    "Copy the silk apk from /data/app to /system/app",, where do I get this apk, its not in the silkport..

it's not actually called silk.apk, it's called com.amazon.cloud9-1.apk. move that one and you should be good to go.
    What files are needed? I have SilkPort 1-4-2011 zip and I have SilkPortInstall.exe