[Q] Fennec Alpha

Search This thread

user7618

Jul 26, 2010
Indianapolis
As much as I like firefox, I'll not get this until they trim this chubby app down some. 31mb? :eek:

Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got me some hot froyo on hero action here!

DroidFreek

Apr 11, 2010
New York
couldnt get this app to work either and the size is crazy if u want a different browser try OPERA thats pretty good if ur looking for some fast net or just wait for a better realese

WOW mY English is Atrocious

teorouge

Jul 29, 2008
Trento
Actually, Fennec's quite a few good ideas, expecially for Firefox users. I mean, it can syncs your open tabs (the ones you left open at home before leaving!), bookmarks, search history and site access infos (so you won't type those old pass/user you can't even remember).
Moreover, you get plugins... not a big amount of them available, but this could just a matter of time if this catches up; and tab management is on par with Android browser's.
Main downside is related to page render speed and program open, they just fail before Android stock browser (which I think is quite awesome, I have to admit it, in terms of performances and compatibility).
Definitively still a "to keep an eye on" project, though.

slimeruk

Apr 4, 2010
Edinburgh
Junk

I find it unbelievable that this has even been considered for a release to anyone!

After several attempts to install, I finally got this bloated mess to work, slowly and with no features that haven't been done better elsewhere.

I was truely expecting more, Firefox and Thunderbird have become bad enough lately, with this rubbish Mozilla have scored 3 out of three.

Raudi1

Jun 11, 2008
Ostwestfalen
Haven't tried this alpha yet, but I played around with an older Version. I also tried the WinMo version and I can tell you that Fennec on Android is much better than the WinMo version. On my HD2(running Froyo) it installed without problems and it didn't crash. But because the UI had no priority over the webpage rendering it wasn't really usable. But I think I read somewhere that in this alpha the UI has priority, so when I can I will give it a try again. But the only reason for using Fennec are the sync features.

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
You people should READ THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS before commenting on whether things are good or not. It CLEARLY states that MSM720xA based phones are NOT COMPATIBLE. Regarding the one who managed to partially get it working.... I don't believe you.

Specifically, the program is built for ARMv7 instruction set. YOUR PHONE SUPPORTS UP TO ARMv6 instruction set ONLY.

To put this very simply.... the program is NOT COMPATIBLE [yet].

Rendarion

Apr 23, 2010
You people should READ THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS before commenting on whether things are good or not. It CLEARLY states that MSM720xA based phones are NOT COMPATIBLE. Regarding the one who managed to partially get it working.... I don't believe you.

Specifically, the program is built for ARMv7 instruction set. YOUR PHONE SUPPORTS UP TO ARMv6 instruction set ONLY.

To put this very simply.... the program is NOT COMPATIBLE [yet].

There are nightly builds, which work on Armv6.

I have it running, on a HTC Magic.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/nightly/latest-mozilla-central-android-r7-nothumb/

The main deal breakers are that it takes forever to load and that the GUI doesn't scale and all the buttons are too big.

Finally:
Coming from my standpoint, that really didn't call for caps, as what you believed and clearly read into the announcement didn't eventuate anyway.
I am positively glad about that, I hope you are too xD. So far Armv6 isn't going to be left behind (all too far).

newowner

Feb 28, 2009
20100905 fennec works on hd2- arm 7

Hi,

Fennec seems to work on HD2 (an ARM 7 device).

Not sure I like the rendering of pages like xda-developers.com - but it works.

Seems like it has potential.

newowner

lukeatluke

Jul 23, 2010
Definitely has a potencial, but it's too slow and so not usable for normal android experience...waiting for beta release ;)

ryan562

Feb 28, 2010
works on the vibrant but very very laggy. UI is ugly but simple to use.