[GUIDE] Root, TWRP, CustomROM (for KOT49I.V50020D)

Search This thread

unroot_

Jan 10, 2014
Hey everyone,

today I got myself an LG G Pad 8.3 because I liked the hardware. Unfortunately, LG's software ist almost as bloated and ugly Samsung's [citation needed]. After a lot of searching through this forum and elsewhere i finally managed to get this tablet from KOT49I.V50020D (KK 4.4.2) to CM11. As all the other guides are for older versions/builds of the OS and never cover the whole process I'm trying to do a little tutorial here. It was a little harder than rooting my Nexus5, so I don't really recommend this for newbies.

Credits to the respective creators of the software, hacks and methods used in this Tutorial. I didn't do any coding or magic.

As always: No guarantee this will work for you!
I am not responsible for what you do with your tablet, phone or life.

The first thing I did was to root the G pad using IOroot (Credits to autoprime).
1.1. Enable Dev.-Options by clicking the build-number 7 times.
1.2. (while your G Pad is not connected to a PC) enable USB Debugging
1.3. Connect to your PC, You will need the LG Drivers
1.4 Unpack the Zip-File from the thread and open a commandline in the folder
1.5 Check communications using "adb devices"
1.6 "adb reboot recovery" to boot into recovery mode (obviously)
1.7 move to "apply update from adb" using the volume-rocker, select with the power button
1.8 (On your PC again) "adb sideload kk_root.zip"
1.9 The installer will do its thing, you should see "DAT ROOT" when finished
1.10 reboot your system (see 7.)

In the next step, you will install a custom recovery.
Or lets say, you will let a script install a custom recovery for you. (Credits to Drgravy, id10terror and samuraix21)
2.1. download the zip-file from id10terror's thread (his Step3). The download may be slow
2.2. unpack and right-click the *.bat-file -> Edit using an editor of your choice
2.3 change the letter at the end of the build-number according to samuraix21 (second post in his thread), then save
2.4 run the batch-file, the tablet will reboot after this step
2.5 put the newest version of TWRP on you G Pad's internal storage
2.6 repeat 1.5 and 1.6 to get into your new recovery
2.7 immediatly after the screen goes black, pull out the cable (for unknown reasons)
2.8 install -> select the recovery you just moved to the internal storage, swipe to confirm
2.9 wait until finished, go "home", reboot system

That was the hard part. Flashing CM or any customRom is fairly easy
3.1 Download the latest CM-Snapshot from here
3.2 Place that zip-file in the internal storage as you did with the TWRP-file. You can erase that one.
3.3 repeat 2.6 and 2.7
3.4 Wipe -> Swipe to confirm
3.5 Install the CustomROM as you did in 2.8. This might take a little longer.
3.6 see 2.9
3.7 The display might be very dark while booting. You can change later

If everything went right, your tablet now runs a rooted customROM =)
Sorry for this wall of text ;)

youngsta2010

Dec 10, 2011
Tamworth
I rooted with Towelroot, simply install the app, click to root, install SuperSU from Play store, that's it. Nice n easy. Thanks for the guide.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pnin

hyperxguy

Mar 31, 2011
Just got my refurbished V500 (OTA updated twice to latest stock 4.4.2)... Done rooting & installing TWRP 2.8.0.0 using the same steps as OP stated ... Easy enough.
I had my win7 systems previously prepared for my G2, so not a single issue with drivers.
Decided to stay with Stock LG (same as my G2) ... customed ROMs can stay on my N7s.
(note: remember to allow root-access to ADB, on the tablet. Also allow SuperSU to update its binary thru TWRP).
Thanks.

usernamemio

Aug 22, 2013
After step 2.7 my g pad enters stock recovery with the following errors at the bottom:

E:missing bitmap stage_empty
(Code -1)
E:missing bitmap stage_fill
(Code -1)

I got root access, edited the .bat file to V50020d and supposedly flashed ABOOT and Recovery correctly.
Any help would be appreciated! :D

hyperxguy

Mar 31, 2011
After step 2.7 my g pad enters stock recovery with the following errors at the bottom:

(Code -1)
(Code -1)

I got root access, edited the .bat file to V50020d and supposedly flashed ABOOT and Recovery correctly.
I stopped at step 2.5 ... I used flashify app to reboot to recovery --> then updated TWRP to 2.8.0.0.
( At step 2.7, you already had TWRP 2.7.x.x)

Kenif1983

Jan 16, 2011

(Code -1)
(Code -1)

Exact same happened to me.

usernamemio

Aug 22, 2013
I stopped at step 2.5 ... I used flashify app to reboot to recovery --> then updated TWRP to 2.8.0.0.
( At step 2.7, you already had TWRP 2.7.x.x)

Yeah, that's the problem.. After step 2.7 I'm supposed to have TWRP, but I dont. It will just enter Stock recovery with those errors on the bottom.
I also tried Flashify to flash TWRP 2.7.1.0, but as soon as I try to enter recovery it just stays at the LG boot screen with the following error: Secure booting Error, Cause: boot certification verify.
I guess I'm out of luck here. :rolleyes:

usernamemio

Aug 22, 2013

(Code -1)
(Code -1)

Found a fix (technically). Thanks to @nlmensch for the idea. :highfive:
Basically, I just downgraded to v50010b and installed TWRP from there.

Link for @quangnhut123 thread to make the downgrade:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2797190

Link for the .kdz files (I used United Kingdom V10B):
http://lg-phone-firmware.com/index.php?id_mod=39

After the downgrade, make sure to get root access for 4.2.2 and TWRP for your downgraded firmware.
Hope this helps. :good:

ememeh

Jan 14, 2012
OnePlus Nord
This all looks great, and I'm really thankful for the effort you've put in, but I'm stuck -- I don't know if I'm just being stupid! You said to download latest version of TWRP and put on SD card... but how? v500 isn't officially supported by TWRP, so where are people getting a copy? I looked but couldn't find it. Any help massively appreciated!!

Thanks

[EDIT: I was indeed being stupid. Worked out the relevant TWRP links were in Drgravy's threads. Many thanks :D )

Last edited:

Jordad

May 19, 2012
I had the same problem with installing twrp as the others. To fix it I did a factory reset back to clean stock 4.4.2. After that the guide worked as intended and I was able to install twrp. (There must have been som app or update that interfered with twrp before. I don't know?)

To fix the dim screen when booting cm11 I installed mani.Kernel v19 in twrp after setting up cm.

Using cm I really like all the settings available, the standard navigation buttons and that the bug in stock rom that made youtube videos stutter is gone. Smooth playback. And batterylife seems better. Screen takes 75%.

Big thanks for the guide. I'm glad I followed it. And there's nothing wrong with it because I ran into the same problem with other guides.

Edit: I would recommend installing the Quick Boot app instead of rebooting to recovery using adb and yanking the USB-cable.

Last edited:

Wingchundub

Mar 6, 2012
I really hope there are easier ways with errors etc to put a cwm recovery as it driving me nuts.
I didn't think i'd have so much trouble on an android as i have with these lg pads.
Should had stuck to samsung, but the hardware and price was just to be avoided and thus went for these slick gpad's
Mine is on 4.4.2 and rooted, just getting recovery to work is stopping me from having nice new roms :(

Deltadroid

Recognized Contributor
Apr 19, 2013
I really hope there are easier ways with errors etc to put a cwm recovery as it driving me nuts.
I didn't think i'd have so much trouble on an android as i have with these lg pads.
Should had stuck to samsung, but the hardware and price was just to be avoided and thus went for these slick gpad's
Mine is on 4.4.2 and rooted, just getting recovery to work is stopping me from having nice new roms :(

I have a new tutorial to install custom recovery for first time here: http://xdaforums.com/lg-g-pad-83/orig-development/recovery-t2945917

Wingchundub

Mar 6, 2012
I installed ADB on my pc, Do i install it on my LG GPAD also?, as it is not mentioned.
How do i use it in accordance to your instructions? as i have never once used this before.
I use root explorer, can this be used in anyway?
Thank you
Best wishes

Last edited:

Deltadroid

Recognized Contributor
Apr 19, 2013
ADB is only installed on your computer. ADB allows you to open a remote shell on your pc to your tablet using the usb cable to connect them to either. You can use Terminal Emulator in place of ADB. You can also move files and change file permissions with Root Explorer also. You will need a shell to execute some commands and that can be done with ADB shell or a Terminal Emulator shell. Both are ok.

Reactions: Wingchundub

Ignasiuz

Dec 19, 2011
Thank you for this amazing guide!!
Can you help me on step 2?
Installing custom recovery I can't see the option to "Install" I only see Updte from external/adb/cache.
What I did miss? ;)

Thank you!

usernamemio

Aug 22, 2013
Thank you for this amazing guide!!
Can you help me on step 2?
Installing custom recovery I can't see the option to "Install" I only see Updte from external/adb/cache.
What I did miss? ;)

Thank you!

This means that you may still on stock recovery. Same happened to me, if you want you can follow the steps I provided previously to solve this.

Maxxd01

Jul 19, 2008
Anyone can please point me to id10terror's twrp thread?
It seems that there are more than one.

Maxxd01

Jul 19, 2008
I did what exactly is in the first post (although I rooted with towelroot, since ioroot got permission issues), but when I go this step and I expect to see the new "interface" with the install option:

2.8 install -> select the recovery you just moved to the internal storage, swipe to confirm

I just still see the stock recovery.
As a matter of interest, I see the in botton two things:

Code -1
Code -1

I've 4.4.2 v50020d (just bought it) - any ideas? :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

today I got myself an LG G Pad 8.3 because I liked the hardware. Unfortunately, LG's software ist almost as bloated and ugly Samsung's [citation needed]. After a lot of searching through this forum and elsewhere i finally managed to get this tablet from KOT49I.V50020D (KK 4.4.2) to CM11. As all the other guides are for older versions/builds of the OS and never cover the whole process I'm trying to do a little tutorial here. It was a little harder than rooting my Nexus5, so I don't really recommend this for newbies.

Credits to the respective creators of the software, hacks and methods used in this Tutorial. I didn't do any coding or magic.

As always: No guarantee this will work for you!
    I am not responsible for what you do with your tablet, phone or life.

The first thing I did was to root the G pad using IOroot (Credits to autoprime).
    1.1. Enable Dev.-Options by clicking the build-number 7 times.
    1.2. (while your G Pad is not connected to a PC) enable USB Debugging
    1.3. Connect to your PC, You will need the LG Drivers
    1.4 Unpack the Zip-File from the thread and open a commandline in the folder
    1.5 Check communications using "adb devices"
    1.6 "adb reboot recovery" to boot into recovery mode (obviously)
    1.7 move to "apply update from adb" using the volume-rocker, select with the power button
    1.8 (On your PC again) "adb sideload kk_root.zip"
    1.9 The installer will do its thing, you should see "DAT ROOT" when finished
    1.10 reboot your system (see 7.)

In the next step, you will install a custom recovery.
    Or lets say, you will let a script install a custom recovery for you. (Credits to Drgravy, id10terror and samuraix21)
    2.1. download the zip-file from id10terror's thread (his Step3). The download may be slow
    2.2. unpack and right-click the *.bat-file -> Edit using an editor of your choice
    2.3 change the letter at the end of the build-number according to samuraix21 (second post in his thread), then save
    2.4 run the batch-file, the tablet will reboot after this step
    2.5 put the newest version of TWRP on you G Pad's internal storage
    2.6 repeat 1.5 and 1.6 to get into your new recovery
    2.7 immediatly after the screen goes black, pull out the cable (for unknown reasons)
    2.9 wait until finished, go "home", reboot system

That was the hard part. Flashing CM or any customRom is fairly easy
    3.1 Download the latest CM-Snapshot from here
    3.2 Place that zip-file in the internal storage as you did with the TWRP-file. You can erase that one.
    3.3 repeat 2.6 and 2.7
    3.4 Wipe -> Swipe to confirm
    3.5 Install the CustomROM as you did in 2.8. This might take a little longer.
    3.6 see 2.9
    3.7 The display might be very dark while booting. You can change later

If everything went right, your tablet now runs a rooted customROM =)
    Sorry for this wall of text ;)

I have a new tutorial to install custom recovery for first time here: http://xdaforums.com/lg-g-pad-83/orig-development/recovery-t2945917
    I rooted with Towelroot, simply install the app, click to root, install SuperSU from Play store, that's it. Nice n easy. Thanks for the guide.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
    ADB is only installed on your computer. ADB allows you to open a remote shell on your pc to your tablet using the usb cable to connect them to either. You can use Terminal Emulator in place of ADB. You can also move files and change file permissions with Root Explorer also. You will need a shell to execute some commands and that can be done with ADB shell or a Terminal Emulator shell. Both are ok.