Dalvik Turbo in action at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona

Search This thread

redeyes717

Dec 13, 2007
Rome, ITALY
the Dalvik Turbo Virtual Machine has been presented @ Mobile World Congress, a few days ago.

hope to see it soon in the hands of our XDA guru!

Demo Video (DTurbo in action on the HTC Magic):

http://androidandme.com/2010/02/news/myriad-dalvik-turbo-boost-android-performance-2-3x/

More Info from developers:

http://www.myriadgroup.com/Media-Centre/News/MYRIAD-BRINGS-3x-FASTER-APPLICATIONS-RICHER-GAME-GRAPHICS-AND-BETTER-BATTERY-LIFE-TO-ANDROID.aspx

"...........
Myriad brings 3x Faster Applications, Richer Game Graphics And Better Battery Life To Android
08 February 2010
Android

* Replacement Virtual Machine Technology Increases Android Application Performance by Three Times
* Myriad Opens the Door to Developers to Create a New Category of Applications Requiring High Computing Performance

DUEBENDORF‐ZURICH – February 08, 2010: Myriad Group AG, a global leader in mobile technology with software in over 2 billion phones, today unveiled the high performance Dalvik Turbo virtual machine, which replaces the standard Dalvik engine powering applications on the Android platform.

Dalvik Turbo increases application execution speed by up to three times ‐ allowing OEMs and operators to bring smoother delivery and more complex applications to Android phones, while also providing substantial battery life improvements when running resource intensive tasks. It also enables developers to take full advantage of Android, allowing them to create games boasting advanced graphics and complex models while retaining full compatibility with existing software.

All this is achieved without a significant increase in the memory requirements of the device......"

From AndroidSPIN website the Google answer to the DTurbo, today:

http://www.androidspin.com/2010/02/18/jit-compiler-for-android-just-in-time-for-google-io/

Sorry, Myriad, it seems as though Google may be stealing your thunder. I know you really wanted to get that Dalvik Turbo out but it looks like Google may get their JIT compiler out first.

JIT stands for “just-in-time” compilation or “dynamic translation”. It compiles/translates bytecode into native machine code at runtime before native execution. This allows software to run faster and perform better.

The JIT compiler is in the Android repository and it’s working. It’s not fully stable but there are currently several custom ROMs that include it. With this new information though, we may be getting that much closer to a stable compiler for Android.

Google has assembled a team of engineers to work on a JIT compiler. The teams work will be outlined at the Google I/O in May. Ben Cheng and Bill Buzbee will go over their design for a Dalvik JIT compiler for Android embedded devices and address topics such as “architectural overview, the rationale for design decisions and the special support for JIT verification, testing and tuning.”

If you’re planning to attend the Google I/O in May, you can attend Session 301 and find out more. The site lists “attendee” requirements for this session – Advanced knowledge of Java and Android concepts.

Red.

Last edited:

DevPhone1337

Jan 24, 2009
Yeah, video was amazingly lame and not worth posting IMO. Forget Myriad, apparently Google's working on JIT and may have it ready as early as May for I/O.

mykenyc

Jun 16, 2009
Phoenix
Dude i was thinking the same thing. Funny i didn't know jit have fanbois but it'd be nice if they both just combine, man the speed boost android would get!

JunoonX

Apr 6, 2009
Minneapolis
DUEBENDORF‐ZURICH – February 08, 2010: Myriad Group AG, a global leader in mobile technology with software in over 2 billion phones, today unveiled the high performance Dalvik Turbo virtual machine, which replaces the standard Dalvik engine powering applications on the Android platform.

Dalvik Turbo increases application execution speed by up to three times ‐
Red.

Do you or anyone else here know the specifics of this Dalvik "Turbo" implementation or design? How specifically this "turbo" come into play? Optimizations in the native code? Or some level of JIT implementation?
If anyone has specifics, please do share.

Also, shouldn't this thread belong in the general forum?

turael

Dec 23, 2008
Junoonx - I imagine it's a JIT implementation, just like what Google is working on. Haven't heard anything official though.

T045T

Mar 1, 2008
Activating the experimental JIT compiler from Google doesn't bring anywhere near 3x performance... at least not on the Motorola Milestone.

So either Myriad is just that much better than Google at programming a JIT compiler, or they have some secret awesomesauce hidden in there.

I was gonna say NEON instructions (using them can increase performance by far more than 3x for some functions from what I've read), but the Hero doesn't support those... any other wild ideas?