[INFO][HOWTO][ROOT] May 7th OTA - M919UVUAMDL

Search This thread

mattlgroff

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
YlBQjj0.png

How to root May 7th OTA [ Version M919UVUAMDL ]:
  • You can grab Kies for its drivers here.
  • Put this on your sdcard before anything, doesn't matter which.
  • k0nane's thread on How to use Odin (3.07). Read this thread for further help, your question is most likely answered already.
  • Install CWM, TWRP, or OUDHS Custom Recovery through Download mode. [Follow instructions in thread on how to flash them, I recommend OUDHS as that's what I used.]
  • Extra words from k0nane for successfully flashing a Custom Recovery in Odin 3.07 for the MDL firmware:
    Uncheck auto-reboot, pull the battery once it's flashed, and try to boot from there. If it works, recovery-from-boot.p or install-recovery.sh aren't getting deleted/are still present.
  • Boot into the Custom Recovery of your choice. [Power + Volume Up keys when phone is completely turned off and unplugged.]
  • Flash ROOT_M919UVUAMDL.zip [Contains the older boot.img with new modules, root, and will stop the annoying "Modified: Reboot Now or Later?" notification from happening.]
  • Reboot and enjoy your rooted device on the M919UVUAMDL firmware.

You can flash back to the May 7th OTA boot.img using the entire firmware, or you can flash it in a zip.

***Update - You can now flash a source-compiled TouchWiz kernel that may better fit your needs here. It is compiled off of the MDL defconfig instead of MDB, but using MDB source.

Thanks to Dev ptmr3 for the original boot.img flasher for Custom Recovery.
Thanks to Dev k0nane for assistance through OUDHS IRC and providing some tech-support to forum readers, as well as the great Odin guide.
Thanks to Gadianton for finding information on stopping the Modified notification.

Last edited:

fbueller

Mar 28, 2006
YlBQjj0.png

• Install CWM, TWRP, or OUDHS Custom Recovery through Download mode. [Follow instructions in thread on how to flash them.]
  • Boot into the Custom Recovery of your choice. [Power + Volume Up keys when phone is completely turned off and unplugged.]
  • Flash the Original Firmware's Boot.img [Provided in a flashable zip here by Dev ptmr3.]
  • Flash a Root.zip [Such as: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip by Chainfire or superuser.zip by Koush.]

You can flash back to the May 7th OTA boot.img using the entire firmware, or you can flash it in a zip.

Tthanks to Dev ptmr3 for the original boot.img flasher for Custom Recovery.

I can't get custom recovery to take on the OTA. I updated to the new OTA, rebooted into download mode, ran ODIN with your files, rebooted, then went into recovery mode. It still brings up Android Recovery, not CWM. Help!!!

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
I can't get custom recovery to take on the OTA. I updated to the new OTA, rebooted into download mode, ran ODIN with your files, rebooted, then went into recovery mode. It still brings up Android Recovery, not CWM. Help!!!

Try OUDHS Recovery and let me know. Also these are not "my" files ;)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Hoggles

fbueller

Mar 28, 2006
Try OUDHS Recovery and let me know. Also these are not "my" files ;)

Fair enuff, "their" files aren't working :)

I don't know how to install an .img file from the CWM page, so I'm a little dead in the H20 until the ODIN method works. Unless you have a link for how to install the .img, I've Googled and can't find a reliable tutorial.

Thanks for all the help, btw.

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
Fair enuff, "their" files aren't working :)

I don't know how to install an .img file from the CWM page, so I'm a little dead in the H20 until the ODIN method works. Unless you have a link for how to install the .img, I've Googled and can't find a reliable tutorial.

Thanks for all the help, btw.

Please share screenshot(s) of how you installed using Odin so I can clarify issues.

fbueller

Mar 28, 2006
Please share screenshot(s) of how you installed using Odin so I can clarify issues.

Here you go, before and after hitting start. Note that my phone is in download mode during this process. ODIN is run as administrator, and gives pass/success after reboot. I've done this in 3.07 and 1.85 with the same result.

Attachments

• odin1.JPG
    odin1.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 2,099
  • odin2.JPG
    odin2.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,903
  • odin3.jpg
    odin3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,908
Last edited:
Reactions: boricua6

pkl787

May 8, 2013
I had the same problem as everyone else did at first with the recovery installs not sticking. I read in a different thread somewhere (can't seem to find it at the moment) that installing Samsung Kies would also install the correct drivers which would fix this problem and it worked for me, maybe it'll work for you guys.

Just install that, then follow the instructions again. I tried it with OUDHS and it worked after that.

EDIT: Won't let me post links since I just registered, but basically just google Samsung Kies and it'll be the first one.

fbueller

Mar 28, 2006
I had the same problem as everyone else did at first with the recovery installs not sticking. I read in a different thread somewhere (can't seem to find it at the moment) that installing Samsung Kies would also install the correct drivers which would fix this problem and it worked for me, maybe it'll work for you guys.

Just install that, then follow the instructions again. I tried it with OUDHS and it worked after that.

EDIT: Won't let me post links since I just registered, but basically just google Samsung Kies and it'll be the first one.

In Device Manager what version of the SGH-M919 driver are you using (under portable devices)? Mine's 2.9.317.215 from 2/16/12.

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
Here you go, before and after hitting start. Note that my phone is in download mode during this process. ODIN is run as administrator, and gives pass/success after reboot. I've done this in 3.07 and 1.85 with the same result.

My Odin shows ID as 005 when in Download Mode and 004 when in just plain old ADB access. Driver issue?

EDIT: Mine is 2.9.104.921 from 9/21/2011

pkl787

May 8, 2013
In Device Manager what version of the SGH-M919 driver are you using (under portable devices)? Mine's 2.9.317.215 from 2/16/12.

6.1.7600.16385 says the date is from 6/21/2006. Not sure why it says that date, but it worked after the drivers from Samsung Kies were installed, anyway.

pkl787

May 8, 2013
Wouldn't let me post the link earlier, thanks. I'm curious to see if it'll work for the other people who were having problems.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    YlBQjj0.png

• You can grab Kies for its drivers here.
    • Put this on your sdcard before anything, doesn't matter which.
    • k0nane's thread on How to use Odin (3.07). Read this thread for further help, your question is most likely answered already.
    • Install CWM, TWRP, or OUDHS Custom Recovery through Download mode. [Follow instructions in thread on how to flash them, I recommend OUDHS as that's what I used.]
    • Extra words from k0nane for successfully flashing a Custom Recovery in Odin 3.07 for the MDL firmware:
      Uncheck auto-reboot, pull the battery once it's flashed, and try to boot from there. If it works, recovery-from-boot.p or install-recovery.sh aren't getting deleted/are still present.
    • Flash ROOT_M919UVUAMDL.zip [Contains the older boot.img with new modules, root, and will stop the annoying "Modified: Reboot Now or Later?" notification from happening.]

***Update - You can now flash a source-compiled TouchWiz kernel that may better fit your needs here. It is compiled off of the MDL defconfig instead of MDB, but using MDB source.

Thanks to Dev ptmr3 for the original boot.img flasher for Custom Recovery.
    Thanks to Dev k0nane for assistance through OUDHS IRC and providing some tech-support to forum readers, as well as the great Odin guide.
    Thanks to Gadianton for finding information on stopping the Modified notification.
    Yeah. After flash it reboots fully into the os. I do a full shut down. Then reboot holding vol up + power, releasing power once 'rebooting recovery' in blue is in the top left. Then it goes to Android Recovery.
    Did you get rooted? If so, your steps.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

Yes! Just fine...as expected. I was only concerned because some things seemed a bit unsure. I now have root and will begin the road down custom ROM's and kernels tonight :) Thanks again to Matt!

My exact steps are obviously the same as Matt's in the OP, just a little bit out of order....but I'll explain in a little more detail.

1) I downloaded & installed Kies (though you don't use it...it's just for installing drivers on your PC for now)
    2) Downloaded http://batakang.com/ftp/SGH-M919/ROOT_M919UVUAMDL.zip and put it on my SD card. Do this BEFORE you go any further, so it's on the root of your SD card before you begin the Odin process.
    3) Downloaded Odin 3.07 & the OUDHS recovery tar file from K0nane: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2260031
    4) I followed his steps for the Odin Recovey flash exactly...except for of course, you should now uncheck the auto reboot option. All of the boxes will be unchecked. Here's where I made my mistake. It's sorta explained by k0nane (and recently added to Matt's OP), but easy to get confused. After flashing the OUDHS recovery in Odin successfully (it will say PASS in the upper right corner & you can exit out of Odin). BEFORE doing anything else, do a battery pull, then boot straight into Recovery (power up + power, till you see the micro blue text up top).

*Even though I unchecked auto reboot in Odin...I of course had to reboot into Touchwiz to put the ROOT zip on my SD card (simply because I followed Matt's guide to a tee and the Root zip step is below the Odin step) Of course...when I booted into Recovery...OUDHS didn't stick and it was stock recovery... SO.... As I mentioned...you need to do that before the Odin process or it won't stick. Maybe Matt could move that step up in his guide...it would save some headaches.

5) You should now be in OUDHS Recovery (it will be obvious)
    6) Pan down to install zip from external SD card and choose ROOT_M919UVUAMDL.zip
    7) Reboot...you should now be rooted an see Superuser in your app drawer. Feel free to download RootChecker from the Play Store to double confirm root :laugh:

Follow that exactly and you will be roooted...MDL and all :p

Thanks again to Matt & all the devs who made this possible!

Cheers :good: :highfive:
    Im not exactly sure why the OP has such strenuous confusing steps. All one needs to do is flash a recovery of their choice through odin and deselecting F. Reset Time. Then once you are rebooted, and into TouchWiz again, go here download the SuperSU zip installer, place it on your device, boot to recovery, now flash the SuperSU zip. And viola you have root.
    Yup, that worked! I'm in CWM with the battery pull method. Is there any way to prevent this from happening in the future? Will I lose CWM if I do a full boot now?

After flashing a Root.zip it will likely ask you if you want to disable Recovery Flashing when you go to Reboot. Say "Yes."