Google search update

Search This thread

SanguiniusWept

Mar 19, 2013
Lincoln, Nebraska
I just read a news article saying that the new Google search update is supposed to allow us to use the "ok Google" hotword from any screen, including the lock screen. I downloaded the apk, but can't get it to do anything different on my Verizon s5. Has anyone else gotten this to work? Does it require the phones to not be rooted, maybe?

Wynnded

Apr 18, 2009
Rockies
I guess I missed that part. Why offer a download link to the new apk if none of the new features will work anyway?
They may have only realized that after the article was written and the .apk was offered. There may be other subtle things that have been improved, speed for example. I think one of the comments mention that the acknowledgement "ding" is different.

Reactions: SanguiniusWept

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
if its the one in the new android L then my rom should have it.. ill hafta check tho.. i kno i added the android l launcher and velvet.apk from android l to my rom..

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium HD app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404141488354.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404141488354.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 125

jcollier

Jan 11, 2008
Houston, TX
They may have only realized that after the article was written and the .apk was offered. There may be other subtle things that have been improved, speed for example. I think one of the comments mention that the acknowledgement "ding" is different.

Other things do seem to be subtle and to work, just not the 'OK,Google' detection from any screen. When you go in to set it up, you have to say that phrase three times so it recognizes your voice. However, it never registers so you have to back out of that screen.

1967ls2

Jun 17, 2010
Any update on this? I just received the Google search update and it doesn't allow the ok Google voice command on any the screens. I still have to open the app to use the voice setting

Wynnded

Apr 18, 2009
Rockies
Any update on this? I just received the Google search update and it doesn't allow the ok Google voice command on any the screens. I still have to open the app to use the voice setting
I got it today too. This always happens to me, I download an .apk from Android Police and usually a short time later Google Play will tell me I have an update for the same version number. So, my thought is that nothing has really changed and we are still waiting for Google as they roll the function out by account as mentioned in the article.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It doesn't work for us yet. I did all the steps as well but unless it is pushed for your device it's a no go
    I guess I missed that part. Why offer a download link to the new apk if none of the new features will work anyway?