[Q] Can You Flash Recovery On Locked Transformer?

Search This thread

ghiotom

May 27, 2014
First off, I am learning everything on the fly, so keep this in mind if my question sounds stupid. It's my wife's Prime and it just wouldn't boot one day.The best I can tell it had JB 4.1.1 and it is locked. I can access the bootloader with 4 options. There are no longer any recovery options on the TF201 itself. I am trying to flash a recovery from fastboot, but when it goes to write I get a failed message-invalid state error even though the blue bar goes to full on the tablet. I assume that the reason I am unable to flash the tablet is because it is locked and at this point there is no way to unlock it. I just need someone to confirm my assumption that the device is permanently bricked so I can stop the hours of research and return to a normal life. Thanks for any help.

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
First off, I am learning everything on the fly, so keep this in mind if my question sounds stupid. It's my wife's Prime and it just wouldn't boot one day.The best I can tell it had JB 4.1.1 and it is locked. I can access the bootloader with 4 options. There are no longer any recovery options on the TF201 itself. I am trying to flash a recovery from fastboot, but when it goes to write I get a failed message-invalid state error even though the blue bar goes to full on the tablet. I assume that the reason I am unable to flash the tablet is because it is locked and at this point there is no way to unlock it. I just need someone to confirm my assumption that the device is permanently bricked so I can stop the hours of research and return to a normal life. Thanks for any help.

No not possible with out unlocking - you can flash the stock asus blob which is signed and it will update your recovery back to stock but that is it.

ghiotom

May 27, 2014
I'm not sure what you're saying. You said it can't be flashed if the bootloader is locked, then you say I can flash a stock Asus blob.

ghiotom

May 27, 2014
I didn't mention that I also tried to install the stock Asus firmware from their website using both the Fastboot method as well as a microSD card, but neither method worked. You're saying that flashing the stock firmware should work.The fact that it didn't, leads me to believe that there is probably something wrong on a hardware level and a motherboard replacement is the only option.

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
I didn't mention that I also tried to install the stock Asus firmware from their website using both the Fastboot method as well as a microSD card, but neither method worked. You're saying that flashing the stock firmware should work.The fact that it didn't, leads me to believe that there is probably something wrong on a hardware level and a motherboard replacement is the only option.

Not sure you can fastboot flash it no but you can certainly unzip it, rename it to whatever they said to and drop it on the microsd, go to bootloader, hit rck and it should flash it. You can only do this with Asus signed files.