[Q] Serious Problem: Galaxy S4 I9500 Lockscreen Shutdown Enabled

Search This thread

shiraz.malik990

Mar 31, 2014
Hello everyone, this is my first post on xda forums. I hope someone out there might be able to help me out.

I accidentally found out that on my galaxy s4 I9500 lock screen, I can still press and hold power button and it gives me options to power off/restart my phone. I have pattern lock enabled. I tried and successfully powered off the phone straight from my lock screen, not to mention that it scared me out. What if it gets stolen? Anybody can turn if off and I wont be able to track it down or enable any thing via SMS commands etc.

What's the purpose of lock screen if the phone can be turned off, if not unlocked, and I couldn't do anything about it.

I recently updated android 4.4 and I am not sure whether or not this issue persisted before that. I am attaching a screenshot of it. Looking forward for someone to sort this out for me. Thanks.

Screenshot_LockScreen.jpg

pda4g

Mar 31, 2014
And have you not thought that even if it is as you describe what is the benefit
not so great
If someone steals your phone much easier to remove the battery and that is even faster than pressing buttons
this is just my personal opinion

shiraz.malik990

Mar 31, 2014
And have you not thought that even if it is as you describe what is the benefit
not so great
If someone steals your phone much easier to remove the battery and that is even faster than pressing buttons
this is just my personal opinion

Yes, you're absolutely right, but then again it raises a big question mark on all the tracking and anti-theft apps as well as Google's own android device manager feature a bunch of crappy apps which do no good at all except for playing sirens via laptop on your own phone and thinking it actually works.

Plus if the thief is within the room, he wont go through all the trouble of removing the protective case, back cover and then removing battery itself. He'd simply turn it off and wait.

pda4g

Mar 31, 2014
Yes, you're absolutely right, but then again it raises a big question mark on all the tracking and anti-theft apps as well as Google's own android device manager feature a bunch of crappy apps which do no good at all except for playing sirens via laptop on your own phone and thinking it actually works.

Plus if the thief is within the room, he wont go through all the trouble of removing the protective case, back cover and then removing battery itself. He'd simply turn it off and wait.

this topic can be seen from different angles
best - keep your phone
and good friends for company
this is a joke
no one knows what can happen

My Galaxy Note many times I turn it off that way
I don't remember ever had to unlock before that S4
I don't remember

Last edited: