[APP] Tuxility - I9000 utility app

Search This thread

brujoand

Oct 16, 2010
Oslo
www.brujordet.no
Tuxility in the market:D http://www.appbrain.com/app/tuxility/com.grimmvarg.android.tuxility

News:
I have discovered that editing the settings.db is not very usefull and might make your system unstable. I have therefor decided to choose a less generic way of letting users access edit system settings, like wifi sleep time etc.. Should be done in a day or two :)

The userbase has grown a lot these last days, which means a lot more feedback. No big bugs as of yet, but please post any issues you find, so I can fix them :) And off course feature requests!

Tuxility

Hey guys!
Im creating an app for the Samsung galaxy s, Ive only been working on it for a few days, but a few features have found there way into it:
- Flashing a kernel without pc, while phone is on. ( ref: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=765724)
- Back up your current kernel
- Phone codes (view battery stats and various tests of hardware)
- Backing up and restoring /efs
- Reboot to Recovery, Download and standard mode
- Cleaning battery stats

Features to come:
- Toggle Mediascanner on/off
- Editing system settings
- Full System information
- Change system Font
- Sensor dump (for fun)
- Improved GUI, with colors and an icon :D
- Place backups on external_sd if it exists (thanks _renaud_)
- Add tools for calibration of screen/battery etc..

Requirements:
- Root
- A Samsung Galaxy S (all variants) running Android 2.1 and up.

Why am I releasing this?
Well for one to share the kernel-flashing feature (thanks to supercurio for this). Also to get feedback on what works and not. But more importantly to get feedback on what to add or change about feature and code (which is located here, yes I know my github tree is suboptimal :p). I'm used to Java but pretty new to android. So any feedback on the code is appreciated :)

NOTES ABOUT THE KERNEL FLASHING
I hacked together a filechooser to pick the zImage you want to flash. And you can flash only zImages or Tars including zImage.
The filechooser sets /sdcard/download/ as starting DIR so i suggest you unpack your zImage there. :) Bakups are stored in /sdcard/.tuxility/backup

And the notice of no responsibility
I take no responsibility if my app breaks your phone, (not that it should, but now i said it) and you try this software at your own risk. On a related note, the code and the app is released under GPLv3. I will however, do all i can to help :)

Logging is on, so have a look in logcat if something is not working and let me know :)

I hope someone will find this usefull, and find the time to give me som feedback :)

Known issues:
The settings file seems to be located elsewhere on the galaxy tab. So if anyone with a tab wants to help me out finding this, that would be great :)
If flashing kernel fails, and log show "not enough space on device" remove any folder in /cache named "2010-*" that contains a zImage. This is fixed irelease 1.2, I thought that /cache was cleaned at boot, but this was not the case.

Last edited:

brujoand

Oct 16, 2010
Oslo
www.brujordet.no
The way that all this work

The backup features are pretty straight forward, using a system shell I give a cp/cat/tar command wherever it is suitable. For instance /efs needs to be tared to keep uid and permissions.
For reboot i issue the "reboot <mode>" as root

The kernel install uses the procedure from this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=765724 and copies a binary file to /apps and uses it to install the new kernel image.

All backups are stored in /sdcard/.tuxility/backup

A SMALL WARNING
Just like anyone will tell you, remove all lagfixes when flashing a new kernel if you are not _sure_ that the new kernel you are flashing support your old lagfix, ktnx :D

CHANGELOG
V1.2
- Huge code cleanup
- Now using flash_image to flash kernel, thanks to koush!
- no more screen distortion after flash
- No forced reboot after flash
- Better execution controll
- Added phone codes
- Removed edit settings.db (this is to risky, no replacement on the sketch board)
- Starting on feature to fetch latest kernel

V1.1
- Install kernel from tar archive
- Finally have an icon
- A bit more restructuring of code

Android Market will not allow me to use sub 1 versions.. :/

V0.21:
- Restructured the menu, for later additions
- Added remove batterystats
- Backup Kernel now sets date in filename
- Improved filechooser, will not install files with a file extension
- Big cleanup of code

Last edited:

g00ndu

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
Wow, this is good. CWM doesn't backup the kernel, and with this app, one can easily do it. Would be absolutely wonderful if it can be included in the CWM recovery menu.

Thanks and will try it soon. :)

brujoand

Oct 16, 2010
Oslo
www.brujordet.no

Yes and no, Its the same concept but different features, except the Secret codes list which I havent implement and the wiping of batterystats. I used SGStools my self before I started on Tuxility, its a very usefull app.

I am making tuxility mostly to get all the features that i need in one app, as I feel that most of these utility apps both overlap on features and miss a few essential features, like flashing a new kernel for instance. So my goal is for Tuxility to be a feature full alternative that cover all common needs, and in addition has specialized features for a give rom/kernel.
Thus feature requests are most welcome :)

brujoand

Oct 16, 2010
Oslo
www.brujordet.no
please flash,

pda
modem
csc

withtout pc, send .apk

thanks

Yeah Mr....

great idea ... bring sgstools, spareparts and some features missing in cwm together ... absolutely welcome!!!

gwaan doin this great job!

Yeah, If its possible it would be nice. Ill look into it later. Right now Ive been getting help by mikebeecham to make an icon for the app as i plan to release it to market tonight. But I want to implement the possibility to maipulate the settings.db first. So.. yeah. Hoping to get it done while my girlfriend is at the theater :p

jkruijff

Nov 7, 2010
Amsterdam
Just wanted to let you know i used this to flash Supercurio's VooDoo lagfix kernel. Easy and painless!

Thank you for this tool.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

socksfelloff

Apr 18, 2010
Toronto
Just wanted to throw this out there.

This app works on the Galaxy tab as well. trying to view settings causes a FC however backing up the kernal worked

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tuxility in the market:D http://www.appbrain.com/app/tuxility/com.grimmvarg.android.tuxility

News:
    I have discovered that editing the settings.db is not very usefull and might make your system unstable. I have therefor decided to choose a less generic way of letting users access edit system settings, like wifi sleep time etc.. Should be done in a day or two :)

The userbase has grown a lot these last days, which means a lot more feedback. No big bugs as of yet, but please post any issues you find, so I can fix them :) And off course feature requests!

Tuxility

Hey guys!
    Im creating an app for the Samsung galaxy s, Ive only been working on it for a few days, but a few features have found there way into it:
    - Flashing a kernel without pc, while phone is on. ( ref: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=765724)
    - Back up your current kernel
    - Phone codes (view battery stats and various tests of hardware)
    - Backing up and restoring /efs
    - Reboot to Recovery, Download and standard mode
    - Cleaning battery stats

Features to come:
    - Toggle Mediascanner on/off
    - Editing system settings
    - Full System information
    - Change system Font
    - Sensor dump (for fun)
    - Improved GUI, with colors and an icon :D
    - Place backups on external_sd if it exists (thanks _renaud_)
    - Add tools for calibration of screen/battery etc..

Requirements:
    - Root
    - A Samsung Galaxy S (all variants) running Android 2.1 and up.

Why am I releasing this?
    Well for one to share the kernel-flashing feature (thanks to supercurio for this). Also to get feedback on what works and not. But more importantly to get feedback on what to add or change about feature and code (which is located here, yes I know my github tree is suboptimal :p). I'm used to Java but pretty new to android. So any feedback on the code is appreciated :)

NOTES ABOUT THE KERNEL FLASHING
    I hacked together a filechooser to pick the zImage you want to flash. And you can flash only zImages or Tars including zImage.
    The filechooser sets /sdcard/download/ as starting DIR so i suggest you unpack your zImage there. :) Bakups are stored in /sdcard/.tuxility/backup

And the notice of no responsibility
    I take no responsibility if my app breaks your phone, (not that it should, but now i said it) and you try this software at your own risk. On a related note, the code and the app is released under GPLv3. I will however, do all i can to help :)

Logging is on, so have a look in logcat if something is not working and let me know :)

I hope someone will find this usefull, and find the time to give me som feedback :)

Known issues:
    The settings file seems to be located elsewhere on the galaxy tab. So if anyone with a tab wants to help me out finding this, that would be great :)
    If flashing kernel fails, and log show "not enough space on device" remove any folder in /cache named "2010-*" that contains a zImage. This is fixed irelease 1.2, I thought that /cache was cleaned at boot, but this was not the case.
    Could you implement some functions from SGStools or something similar:
    - advance system apps cleaner
    - boot/shutdown sound modify
    - gps fix
    - etc.,

I know that there is a lot similar apps in android market, but it would be great if we have everything in one app.

Yeah, this my goal. One app that does everything. :)

sudo killall -9 socialLife

:p