Ubuntu Phone OS - Let's Find it and Port It!

Search This thread

lmike6453

Dec 17, 2010
Eagleville PA
Alright guys here is the video shown on the Galaxy Nexus in case you have been living under a rock for the past few days...

Everywhere I look I cannot find anywhere where it has been released to begin working on getting it to our Note 2. Let us update this thread and eventually turn it into a "How-To" once we slap together something that works.

Any thoughts to get the ball rolling?

kleeman7

Nov 4, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S20
They said they will be releasing a flashable zip for the galaxy nexus sometime in the future. So I would think you would have to wait til that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

lmike6453

Dec 17, 2010
Eagleville PA

spiderjerusalem

Jan 26, 2005
I think it is dropping during ces so like next week sometime, very excited about this.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

Smittyzz

Sep 16, 2011
I think its kind of like a mash up of wp and android. To me I don't know if I like it yet I don't think, it looks like everything big and they didn't utilize the realist ate they have. And that looked a little slow, if you watch on some of the transactions and I like the ability to have buttons and menus. I'll have to play with it when its out but so far I'm not sure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

mmmelroy

Nov 23, 2010
excited to see what they bring to the table

android may not be as stagnant as iOS, but it's going to be neat having an ubuntu OS. I run it on my windows machine as another boot option and find it useful and fairly intuitive.
will be looking forward to news for this.

g2tegg

May 12, 2011
The Hammer
I think the ability to have a full fledged operating system on a phone is an amazing idea.
What those videos where showing was a Nexus running a Ubuntu operating system, with some sort of mobile theme applied. Once the device is docked it could be used as a desktop solution. Or plugged into a TV, or a laptop etc.
This is something the mobile market has never seen before.

Reactions: Dachande

josidhe

May 5, 2010
Seattle
I have a big concern about Ubuntu's history of ignoring feedback over the last few years. They've been making very heavy handed design decisions with the excuse that Linux users are 'free' to change things around if they want, but that attitude won't cut it in the consumer mobile market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

crisis187

Nov 14, 2008
Ive been looking for ubuntu phone os for almost 2 years lol since they released there website :( ... Ubuntu can we get some leakage love hehe

This would be perfect for the note 2, with huge screen and pen as mouse... using a skin launcher like unity on a phone would be great, laptop/desktop unity is junk... and have a full terminal my favorite part with connection to tv and bluetooth keyboard/mouse ...

Cant wait for this to drop

Last edited:

colonel187

Jul 3, 2010
Nowhere
The trick with our phone is going to be the s pen support. I can't wait for ubuntu on my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

coke7

Sep 9, 2010
Now, there is a date:
Canonical announced the release of the image for the nexus and the source code as well, for the 21st of February. They will flash every phone they get at the MWC from 23 - 25.
Hopefully, someone will manage to port it for the sgn2, soon.

AlonB.

Mar 10, 2012
Toronto, ON
Can't wait to try it out! Even though functionality will be very basic at first... The only thing that worries me is whether the Ubuntu install will repartition our phone. It would be a bit of a ***** in that case

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium

g2tegg

May 12, 2011
The Hammer
Now, there is a date:
Canonical announced the release of the image for the nexus and the source code as well, for the 21st of February. They will flash every phone they get at the MWC from 23 - 25.
Hopefully, someone will manage to port it for the sgn2, soon.

It seems like a difficult process. In oder for Ubuntu to run smoothly, it needs to be ran as a complete operating system. As was shown on those videos. What we can do today is run Ubuntu virtually, which, for obvious reasons, will be significantly slower.
Once the code is dropped, we have to find a way to port it over to our Notes. Which means finding specific drivers. If Samsung supports this (which I doubt) it would make the process that much simpler.
That and I'm assuming the confirmed working devices, Nexus S, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 will all have a dual boot option from Android to Ubuntu. We don't have that option... Yet...
No support? I'd switch to the Nexus 4. Seriously. That's how badly I would love to have Ubuntu on my phone Lol. Id throw away LTE, expandable memory and a killer battery to have that OS in my hands.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

sabre31

Aug 28, 2010
It seems like a difficult process. In oder for Ubuntu to run smoothly, it needs to be ran as a complete operating system. As was shown on those videos. What we can do today is run Ubuntu virtually, which, for obvious reasons, will be significantly slower.
Once the code is dropped, we have to find a way to port it over to our Notes. Which means finding specific drivers. If Samsung supports this (which I doubt) it would make the process that much simpler.
That and I'm assuming the confirmed working devices, Nexus S, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 will all have a dual boot option from Android to Ubuntu. We don't have that option... Yet...
No support? I'd switch to the Nexus 4. Seriously. That's how badly I would love to have Ubuntu on my phone Lol. Id throw away LTE, expandable memory and a killer battery to have that OS in my hands.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

The initial release will be very basic. No exchange email support from what I understand and no app store for starters. So you can only use what they give you as far as apps. Won't be fun with no apps to install and use.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

starche_old

Apr 13, 2006
ON, Canada
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5
Really? If it's a desktop OS, why nothing will work? I'm using Thunderbird it's pretty good email client.

P.S. I'm really excited to try Ubuntu, it's my the only OS for last 6 or 7 years. What can be better then to use the same OS everywhere :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright guys here is the video shown on the Galaxy Nexus in case you have been living under a rock for the past few days...

Everywhere I look I cannot find anywhere where it has been released to begin working on getting it to our Note 2. Let us update this thread and eventually turn it into a "How-To" once we slap together something that works.

Any thoughts to get the ball rolling?

DO NOT FLASH THIS.
    It is for the n7100 which means there's a good chance it either will not run on any LTE variant (n7105, i317, t889, etc.) OR soft/hard brick said variants.
    Check this out. Its using qt5 with unmodified android drivers. This is cool.

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthre...eveloper-Preview-Released&p=314159#post314159

I think the ability to have a full fledged operating system on a phone is an amazing idea.
    What those videos where showing was a Nexus running a Ubuntu operating system, with some sort of mobile theme applied. Once the device is docked it could be used as a desktop solution. Or plugged into a TV, or a laptop etc.
    This is something the mobile market has never seen before.

Yeah I figured that this is all that we can do is wait, but does anyone know where it will be dropped first?

"A specific date in unknown but it’s probable that the release will coincide with Canonical’s appearance at the Mobile World Congress 2013, being held between 25 – 28th of February." still over a month away