HowTo: Milestone X2 - 2.3.6 Root - UPDATED 09/05/2012

Search This thread

clcrawl

Dec 14, 2011
This walks through the process of rooting a Motorola Milestone X2 running 2.3.6. First off I DID NOT come up with this solution nor did I initially post this in this thread. Many many MANY thanks to all those helped make this a reality (which seem to be Brandon15811, the2dcour, and eval-!) and to Sippi4x4man who posted this information here along with DarkFalconX who posted an addendum to help get it working, and to Tiso who made me aware someone had posted this in the thread. See the bottom for the original links that were posted.

This is the process I used it is slightly different than Dark's and the original link. The standard warning applies here, NEITHER MYSELF NOR ANYONE ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE DOING THIS!

PREREQUISITES
  • You MUST have the ADB drivers for your phone installed which are obtained as part of the Android SDK.
  • You MUST have USB Debugging enabled on your phone.
  • You MUST have Superuser installed, which can be found on the Market.

PROCESS
  1. Download the following file (atrix-4g-moto-fastboot-win32.zip): LINK
  2. Extract the zip file to a location that is easy to get to, the original instructions suggested making a Root folder in C:\, however it is really up to you. Just make sure all the files are extracted to the same folder.
  3. Get your phone into Fastboot mode, to do this:
    • Shut the phone off.
    • Hold down the Volume Down Button while pressing the Power Button.
    • After the phone turns on you should see Fastboot at the top of the screen.
    • Press the Volume Up Button to enter Fastboot mode. Your computer may need to install drivers if this is the first time you entered Fastboot mode, so let this happen BEFORE proceeding.
  4. Start a command prompt on your computer.
  5. Type the following commands:
    • cd \<DIRECTORY> where <DIRECTORY> is the folder you created. If you created the Root folder in C:\ it would be cd \root.
    • moto-fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
    • moto-fastboot reboot
  6. Wait for the phone to reboot, once it does so execute the following commands (in the command prompt you should still have open):
    • adb shell
    • /preinstall/su
  7. On your phone you should see a prompt to Allow or Deny Superuser access, allow this. Then execute the following commands (in the command prompt you should still have open)
    • mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
    • cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/su
    • chmod 6755 /system/bin/su

Initial links Posted by Sippi4x4man
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...orola-atrix-2/
http://briefmobile.com/motorola-atrix-4g-root

Closing
I have to again thank everyone who created this process and who made people aware of this. I take ZERO credit I am simply reposting information others have already posted. Have fun!

UPDATES
09/04/2012 - The links for the files were broken, the files needed to root the Atrix 4G are the same as we need so I have updated the link to those used for that, along with tweaking the instructions a bit to match. Thanks to Carl Parker and this post here for the working link. Do not worry that the files are labeled "for" the Atrix 4G, the files do in fact work for rooting the Milestone X2 I just used them successfully.

09/05/2012 - I modified the instructions to flash preinstall.img versus root.img, thanks to aldude999 and sd_shadow for pointing out the error as well as sd_shadow for the new link.

Last edited:

clcrawl

Dec 14, 2011
I also need to make sure I give credit where credit is due, skwoodwiva and mastafunk have been extremely helpful in trying to figure out a solution for my phone. I can't thank you guys enough, I apologize in the fact that I didn't see the personal messages before I let my phone update OTA to 2.3.6. If anything I hope if I can provide the OTA update I can help the community figure some stuff out as frankly I don't have the knowledge. Thanks again guys.

twobrare

Dec 22, 2011
HELP!!!

The same thing happened to my provider. I got a 2.3.6 up date and I was thinking as it was downloading.... crap I am not going to have root access. I have tried several ways. I have tried Superoneclick, the zerg method and I have also tried some other odd ways. PLEASE HELP US FIGURE THIS OUT!!!!! Maybe this will help with other problems with some of the roms :eek: I also wanted to add that I have the SBF and I tried to go back to 2.3.5 and it fails. Which means I am stuck with 2.3.6 >.< ANGRY MOOGLE.... ANGGGEERRRR Motorola unlock your bootloader!!!

Last edited:

skwoodwiva

Apr 24, 2011
Sorry for the bad news. I do wish voodoo rootkeeper was was given more credit in this forum as it may have saved you in spite of it's (TO BE NOTED) problems with one custom rom, eclipse. Thanks for the recognition:)

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Did the ud negotiation give an option to dl only? tw... where did you get the sbf? Care to post it? Also give details about the rsd failure I assume you used rsd mode down rocker up rocker...

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Clcrawl so you saved the ota while still on 235. Drama! Man. Post it or send it to me. Change the .zip to mp3 if you have trouble on phone, boat and es file expl used to work w/ multiupload. My last ota ul would not w/ those so I opera'ed a mp3.

Last edited:

twobrare

Dec 22, 2011
i can not post the sbg . It is from ntelos. It has the 2.3.5 build from Daytona. Bassically what happens the phone I phone freezes when I try to reload the sbf. Then rsd fails. I do put the phone in RSd mode and then connect it. Is there something I am missing?

The problem with OTA root keeper it's that apparently it doesn't place superuser apk back into system properly. So when we all tried to flash eclipse it couldn't set permission correctly inn superuser apk.
it wasn't allowing the system to write to the root files of the ROM.
so basically it blocked itself.
((ooh....and I didn't figure this out lol....me an nitro had a conversation bout it....he figured out I believe while trying to mess with three razr and it's OTA update)

Which roms are effected?

Pretty sure all of them.
Since don't they all include superuser apk and binaries in the updater scripts?

A work around would be to remove superuser things from the script and then after ROM install use root keeper again to restore superuser.
Easier to just use zergrush IMO

That is at least until we run of ways to obtain root on OTA lol

Last edited:

clcrawl

Dec 14, 2011
Motorola Milestone X2 OTA 2.3.6 Link

For those interested, here is a link to the Motorola Milestone X2 2.3.6 OTA Update:

http://www.multiupload.com/6L3UU9P28J

Many thanks if anyone can help me get root back, at the very least I was able to Freeze Apps to make the phone far more responsive. This is what happens when you get drunk and are playing with your phone, you let an OTA update get applied ;-).

Last edited:

hilltopper06

Jan 11, 2008
I am in the same boat with my Milestone X2 (Bluegrass Cellular). Had root at 2.3.5 with a variant of zergrush. Lost it with an OTA I let slip through (2.3.6). No method has had any luck fixing it (Hellion blue flames message on zergrush). If anyone comes up with a fix, please post it. Thanks.

Albanasinia

Dec 15, 2011
I have a Milestone X2 on Ntelos. Seen some people rooting with 2.3.5, any ideas on how? Read posts on one way that had worked with others but could never get it to work with mine.

aceoyame

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 14, 2009
Has anyone tried the D3 1 click rather than zerg rush. It's older but I havent heard of it breaking yet.

clcrawl

Dec 14, 2011
This did not work. I tried the commands by hand the point where you do the following you are getting permission denied so I presume the exploit is supposed to happen before it when you are creating a symlink (ln -s):

$ mv /data/local.prop /data/local.prop.bak
mv /data/local.prop /data/local.prop.bak
failed on '/data/local.prop' - Permission denied
$

After that is is all fail. So I guess previously moving the 12m file or whatever it is, removing it and then moving it back created the exploit?

Has anyone tried the D3 1 click rather than zerg rush. It's older but I havent heard of it breaking yet.

clcrawl

Dec 14, 2011
Pete's fails to give you temp root unfortunately so it fails. Which is effectively what the manual instructions are from what I can tell. We just need some exploit to offer temp root via ADB and then you can get su in place and it is over. It appears the only thing that worked in 2.3.5 was Zerg and the "fixed" that. If anyone knows how the developer of Zerg is I would love to talk to them to see what exactly was being exploited.

Manula Root Method

Scroll to the bottom of the OP and look for the Manual Root Method stated there. Have you guys tried this?

Last edited:

jonb42

Dec 23, 2010
I'd like to sign this petition too...

I'm glad to see some people talking about this! Just moved to this phone from an HTC desire and while I love the screen size & internal memory it has been quite a blow to move from cyanogenmod 7 to the slow jerky OS that this appears to have - after all it was touted as being faster! And there is no way for me to get root because right from the store I got 2.3.6. I've tried a couple of exploits including the zergrush one, and doing it manually via adb as mentioned already in this thread. I'd lover to get some help with this!
Also, what is the difference between the Droid x2 and the milestone x2? I have searched but have not found... Other than that updates get rolled out at different times perhaps.
- Jon

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This walks through the process of rooting a Motorola Milestone X2 running 2.3.6. First off I DID NOT come up with this solution nor did I initially post this in this thread. Many many MANY thanks to all those helped make this a reality (which seem to be Brandon15811, the2dcour, and eval-!) and to Sippi4x4man who posted this information here along with DarkFalconX who posted an addendum to help get it working, and to Tiso who made me aware someone had posted this in the thread. See the bottom for the original links that were posted.

This is the process I used it is slightly different than Dark's and the original link. The standard warning applies here, NEITHER MYSELF NOR ANYONE ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE DOING THIS!

PREREQUISITES
    • You MUST have the ADB drivers for your phone installed which are obtained as part of the Android SDK.
    • You MUST have USB Debugging enabled on your phone.
    • You MUST have Superuser installed, which can be found on the Market.

PROCESS
    1. Download the following file (atrix-4g-moto-fastboot-win32.zip): LINK
    2. Extract the zip file to a location that is easy to get to, the original instructions suggested making a Root folder in C:\, however it is really up to you. Just make sure all the files are extracted to the same folder.
    3. Get your phone into Fastboot mode, to do this:
      • Shut the phone off.
      • Hold down the Volume Down Button while pressing the Power Button.
      • After the phone turns on you should see Fastboot at the top of the screen.
      • Press the Volume Up Button to enter Fastboot mode. Your computer may need to install drivers if this is the first time you entered Fastboot mode, so let this happen BEFORE proceeding.
    4. Start a command prompt on your computer.
    5. Type the following commands:
      • cd \<DIRECTORY> where <DIRECTORY> is the folder you created. If you created the Root folder in C:\ it would be cd \root.
      • moto-fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
      • moto-fastboot reboot
    6. Wait for the phone to reboot, once it does so execute the following commands (in the command prompt you should still have open):
      • adb shell
      • /preinstall/su
    7. On your phone you should see a prompt to Allow or Deny Superuser access, allow this. Then execute the following commands (in the command prompt you should still have open)
      • mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
      • cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/su
      • chmod 6755 /system/bin/su

Initial links Posted by Sippi4x4man
    http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...orola-atrix-2/

Closing
    I have to again thank everyone who created this process and who made people aware of this. I take ZERO credit I am simply reposting information others have already posted. Have fun!

UPDATES
    09/04/2012 - The links for the files were broken, the files needed to root the Atrix 4G are the same as we need so I have updated the link to those used for that, along with tweaking the instructions a bit to match. Thanks to Carl Parker and this post here for the working link. Do not worry that the files are labeled "for" the Atrix 4G, the files do in fact work for rooting the Milestone X2 I just used them successfully.

09/05/2012 - I modified the instructions to flash preinstall.img versus root.img, thanks to aldude999 and sd_shadow for pointing out the error as well as sd_shadow for the new link.
    SUCCESS!!!!!!

Motorola released a 2.3.6 OTA for the Motorola Atrix. They are in the same position that we are in. If the Atrix users flash the OTA they loose root and there isn't a current direct root method available yet. Hopefully they will come up with something soon

http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...ad-ota-update-available-for-motorola-atrix-2/

2.3.6 root for Atrix if anyone feels brave

This method works! There are only 2 differences in the commands (indicated in red):

Obtain the necessary files from the Atrix 2.3.6 link above
    Extract the ADB-Fastboot package and root image to your C:\ Drive under a new folder titled “root”
    Put your device into Fastboot mode: – Turn off your device. – Hold down the power button and downward volume button until you see “Fastboot” on your screen – Push the upward volume button
    Connect your phone via USB cable. Allow Windows to install the new hardware if this is the first time you have used Fastboot mode.
    Open your command prompt (Start >> run “cmd” >> enter)
    Type the following commands
    cd C:/root
    fastboot flash preinstall root.img
    fastboot reboot
    Enable USB debugging (Settings >> Applications >> Debugging)
    adb shell
    /preinstall/su
    Allow Superuser access on the phone when prompted
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
    cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/su
    chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
    PATH=/system/bin:$PATH pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk

:D:D:D:D:D:D Congratulations! You are rooted! :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Commissioning A Successful Root Method

The Milestone X2 from CSpire Wireless, System Version 45.0.43.MB867.ACG-CS.en.US comes stock with Android Version 2.3.6 pre-installed.

It seems that there are a considerable number of other people also affected by imposed limitations of their purchased devices. I would like to support the cause in offering a $100 donation to anyone providing a clearly documented step-by-step How To complete with links to tools for successfully gaining permanent root access to the Motorola Milestone X2 with Android Version 2.3.6 pre-installed while maintaining complete device functionality (including but not limited to; phone, data and wifi) by 5:00 PM CT (UTC -6:00) on Wednesday, January 18, 2012.

An additional $100 bonus will be paid (for a total of $200) to anyone providing the above by 5:00 PM CT (UTC -6:00) tomorrow, Tuesday, January 17, 2012.

[UPDATE - 01/16/2012 02:59 PM]:
    If there are any takers, the job has been posted to oDesk.com here: nosky .us / zPhQrd (no spaces).

The How To (completed and in-progress) can be posted directly to this thread for the benefit of the community. Please indicate your interest by responding to this thread or emailing brainflurry [at] gmail.com.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do (such as providing a backup of my ROM [assuming that's possible without root]).
    Here you go...
    42afacef-2db6-2b0b.jpg

Sent from my Milestone X2 using XDA App
    Ok thanks for the information. I will look into a method thst was dependant on the 2.6.32.9 kernel. No promises.

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk