[Q] K47 / C9_89 an S3 Clone [Solved]

Search This thread

SpongeR0b

Mar 29, 2013
Dungloe
www.expertptc.comli.com
OK, I'm running into difficulties with this phone..

..It arrive pre-rooted, I installed Titanium Backup and removed iReader.

In the Play store I noticed that SuperUser and Google Keyboard needing updating but when I tried to do so all I got was "Error Installing - Package file was not signed correctly" which I assume has something to do with a slightly different version of the program initially installed?

Then I went into SuperUser itself, clicked on the spanner icon, scrolled down and tapped on the check for updates button..

..indeed it found an update and proceeded to update in a similar style terminal box.

However.. according to Titanium I no longer have root access, I quickly downloaded Root Checker Basic which also confirmed this.. bugger I thought.

Moving onwards, I just downloaded SRS Root from srsroot.com. Tried rooting and it exited out saying I already had root access.. hmmm, so then I removed root access, the phone rebooted and then I re-applied the root.

Although I am still suffering from not having proper root access :crying:

Please help me to get full root access back again, thanks in advance. :angel:

Attachments

• rooted.jpg
    rooted.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

SpongeR0b

Mar 29, 2013
Dungloe
www.expertptc.comli.com
OK, I'm running into difficulties with this phone..

..It arrive pre-rooted, I installed Titanium Backup and removed iReader.

In the Play store I noticed that SuperUser and Google Keyboard needing updating but when I tried to do so all I got was "Error Installing - Package file was not signed correctly" which I assume has something to do with a slightly different version of the program initially installed?

Then I went into SuperUser itself, clicked on the spanner icon, scrolled down and tapped on the check for updates button..

..indeed it found an update and proceeded to update in a similar style terminal box.

However.. according to Titanium I no longer have root access, I quickly downloaded Root Checker Basic which also confirmed this.. bugger I thought.

Moving onwards, I just downloaded SRS Root from srsroot.com. Tried rooting and it exited out saying I already had root access.. hmmm, so then I removed root access, the phone rebooted and then I re-applied the root.

Although I am still suffering from not having proper root access :crying:

Please help me to get full root access back again, thanks in advance. :angel:

UPDATE : After running Root Checker Pro it told me that SuperSU wasn't installed.. I downloaded that from the play store and re ran Root Checker Pro, it now tells me..

Root Access is not properly configured or was not granted.

Super User Application Status:
SuperSU application - version 1.91 - is installed!

System File Properties for Root Access:
Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/bin/su:
Result: /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/bin/su does not exist.

Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/su:
Result: -rwsr-sr-x root root 22364 2014-01-27 21:08 su
Analysis: Setuid attribute is present and root user ownership is present. Root access is correctly configured for this file! Executing this file can grant root access!

Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /sbin/su:
Result: /sbin/su: Permission denied
Analysis: File system permissions restricted and denied access.

Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/sudo:
Result: /system/xbin/sudo: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/xbin/sudo does not exist.

Root User ID and Group ID Status:
SU binary not found or not operating properly

System Environment PATH: /sbin /vendor/bin /system/sbin /system/bin /system/xbin

ADB Shell Default User:
ADB shell setting for standard access, stored in default.prop, is configured as: root user - ro.secure=0

Results provided on your K47/C9_89 device by Root Checker Pro version 1.3.4

I still have Root Explorer on the phone and seem to be able to navigate through the normally hidden directories.

Suggestions please!

SpongeR0b

Mar 29, 2013
Dungloe
www.expertptc.comli.com
To my surprise, I bit the bullet today and reset my phone to stock defaults..

..unfortunately even this still did not fix the incomplete root :(

Please help!

EDIT : I've been tinkering again.. Here's what I understand (and what I've done)

System\bin\ - Kinda not the most important place to store a file relating to an installed .apk's
System\xbin\ - The more important place (kinda like the System32 directory) relaing to installed .apk's
System\app\ - The directory where the .apk file's themselves live (kinda like Program Files\xxx Application)

Well I noticed I had an .apk in apps called root_Superuser.apk and this was present even after un-rooting my phone.

I removed this file, using these commands :

adb remount
adb pull /system/app/root_Superuser.apk

Seemingly this didn't remove the file, so then I tried :

adb remount
abd shell rm -f /system/app/root_Superuser.apk

After a quick reboot this had indeed removed Superuser, then I reused the SRS Tool to re-root.

Then I read that SU 3.0.2 was a safer bet.. (although it was a post from 2011 - attached)

So I downloaded that and proceeded to push the superuser.apk and su files into their correct places (as below)

adb remount
adb push superuser.apk /system/app/
adb push su /system/xbin/
adb push su /system/bin/

After the files were correctly in place I needed to set the correct file permissions, I did this as follows :

abd shell
root@android:/ # CHMOD 644 /system/app/superuser.apk
root@android:/ # CHMOD 777 /system/xbin/su
root@android:/ # CHMOD 777 /system/bin/su

Finally I realised I had given /xbin/su the incorrect permissions so ammended them to :

abd shell
root@android:/ # CHMOD 4755 /system/xbin/su
root@android:/ # CHMOD 4755 /system/bin/su

The reason why I am writing exactly what I did is so I myself don't forget anything and also to show others how to do stuff should I be doing it correctly!? I wasn't sure if the su needed to go into xbin or bin so I put it into both directories and thus I can remove which ever one is incorrect once I get a reply from somebody!

Here's my current log from Root Checker Pro - I shall not be doing anything else without further assistance.

Root Access is not properly configured or was not granted.

Super User Application Status:
Superuser application - version 3.0.2 - is installed!

SuperSU application - is NOT installed.

System File Properties for Root Access:
Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/bin/su:
Result: -rwsr-xr-x root root 22140 2008-02-29 02:33 su
Analysis: Setuid attribute is present and root user ownership is present. Root access is correctly configured for this file! Executing this file can grant root access!

Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/su:
Result: -rwsr-xr-x root root 22140 2008-02-29 02:33 su

Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /sbin/su:
Result: /sbin/su: Permission denied
Analysis: File system permissions restricted and denied access.

Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/sudo:
Result: /system/xbin/sudo: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/xbin/sudo does not exist.

Root User ID and Group ID Status:
SU binary not found or not operating properly

System Environment PATH: /sbin /vendor/bin /system/sbin /system/bin /system/xbin

ADB Shell Default User:
ADB shell setting for standard access, stored in default.prop, is configured as: root user - ro.secure=0

Results provided on your K47/C9_89 device by Root Checker Pro version 1.3.4

Attachments

• post.jpg
    post.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
To my surprise, I bit the bullet today and reset my phone to stock defaults..

..unfortunately even this still did not fix the incomplete root :(

Please help!

EDIT : I've been tinkering again.. Here's what I understand (and what I've done)

System\bin\ - Kinda not the most important place to store a file relating to an installed .apk's
System\xbin\ - The more important place (kinda like the System32 directory) relaing to installed .apk's
System\app\ - The directory where the .apk file's themselves live (kinda like Program Files\xxx Application)

Well I noticed I had an .apk in apps called root_Superuser.apk and this was present even after un-rooting my phone.

I removed this file, using these commands :

adb remount
adb pull /system/app/root_Superuser.apk

Seemingly this didn't remove the file, so then I tried :

adb remount
abd shell rm -f /system/app/root_Superuser.apk

After a quick reboot this had indeed removed Superuser, then I reused the SRS Tool to re-root.

Then I read that SU 3.0.2 was a safer bet.. (although it was a post from 2011 - attached)

So I downloaded that and proceeded to push the superuser.apk and su files into their correct places (as below)

adb remount
adb push superuser.apk /system/app/
adb push su /system/bin/

After the files were correctly in place I needed to set the correct file permissions, I did this as follows :

abd shell
root@android:/ # CHMOD 644 /system/app/superuser.apk
root@android:/ # CHMOD 777 /system/xbin/su
root@android:/ # CHMOD 777 /system/bin/su

Finally I realised I had given /xbin/su the incorrect permissions so ammended them to :

abd shell

The reason why I am writing exactly what I did is so I myself don't forget anything and also to show others how to do stuff should I be doing it correctly!? I wasn't sure if the su needed to go into xbin or bin so I put it into both directories and thus I can remove which ever one is incorrect once I get a reply from somebody!

Here's my current log from Root Checker Pro - I shall not be doing anything else without further assistance.
Great to see the Root Checker apps being used! Given you posted a link back to this thread in the Root Checker thread I'm posting my reply here.

The route I usually take and recommend, which does all of those steps you've performed, such as copying files and setting the correct permissions, is to load an "official" .zip file from the custom recovery.

If you have a custom recovery, I'd recommend loading SuperSU.zip, which has worked very well for me on my devices: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
From the XDA post, there is a link to the .zip file that can be downloaded and loaded in the custom recovery: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu

If you don't have a custom recovery, I think most of the steps you've taken are correct, but based on the Root Checker Pro output I'd be concerned that the Superuser.apk file you installed and the su binary aren't communicating and might be out of sync. This can be caused by many reasons but the solution is to make sure you installed a matching .apk and su binary.

Hope that helps and good luck!

SpongeR0b

Mar 29, 2013
Dungloe
www.expertptc.comli.com
Great to see the Root Checker apps being used! Given you posted a link back to this thread in the Root Checker thread I'm posting my reply here.

The route I usually take and recommend, which does all of those steps you've performed, such as copying files and setting the correct permissions, is to load an "official" .zip file from the custom recovery.

If you have a custom recovery, I'd recommend loading SuperSU.zip, which has worked very well for me on my devices: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
From the XDA post, there is a link to the .zip file that can be downloaded and loaded in the custom recovery: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu

If you don't have a custom recovery, I think most of the steps you've taken are correct, but based on the Root Checker Pro output I'd be concerned that the Superuser.apk file you installed and the su binary aren't communicating and might be out of sync. This can be caused by many reasons but the solution is to make sure you installed a matching .apk and su binary.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Thanks for your reply JoeyKrim, unfortunately I don't think a custom recovery is available for this phone at present? I've had SuperSu on my device and to be honest not a great deal worked using it. I've also had both CWM / TWRP installed on the phone and both of them cannot find a suitable ROM to implement. I guess because of the phone being fairly new and a knock off doesn't exactly help me! :cyclops:

I will re-root my device and if that isn't successful manually try to match both superuser.apk and su binary with yet another version of superuser!

EDIT :

Here's what I've tried this morning (unfortunately now I have ran out of time and must get ready for college)

adb remount
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
adb push su /system/bin/
adb shell
root@android:/ # CHMOD 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk

Superuser available to download from http://hosted.androidsu.com/superuser/

Using: su-3.0.1-d-signed.rar I get Superuser v3.0.1 (36), Su binary vnull (legacy)
su-3.0.1-efgh-signed.zip I get Superuser v3.0.1 (36), Su binary vnull (legacy)

Unsure of differences between d & efgh versions? Moved onto next version..

su-3.0.2-efgh-signed.zip I get Superuser v3.0.2 (37), Su binary vnull (legacy)

Renamed (root@android:/ # mv Superuser.apk root_Superuser.apk) seemingly no difference?
I was wondering if root allowed apps were renamed as root_appName.apk - I've left the file
name as this (i.e. Superuser.apk is NOT in my system/app/ directory and yet Superuser still
runs fine???)

Superuser-3.0.6-efgh-signed (Only binary updated) v3.0.2 (37), Su binary vnull (legacy)

su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip Superuser v3.0.2 (37), Su binary vnull (legacy)

Isn't Su binary 3.0.3.2 the more up to date binary??? According my my Superuser's self update
it is?

Trying this release? - Also copied Superuser.apk to root_Superuser.apk as well this time..

Superuser-3.1-arm-signed Unable to check the versions.. different menu

Additionally myt Root Explorer (root_Root explorer.apk) now cannot gain root access which
is the first time this has EVERY occured :(

Superuser-3.1.1-x86-signed Unable to check the versions.. different menu

OK, so I know for sure that 3.1 is a more recent version of Superuser than I have ever had on
my phone, and of course root explorer doesn't now work, so trying an older version..

Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip Superuser v3.0.7(41), Su binary v3.1

Again.. Root explorer no longer working.. tried deleting root_Superuser.apk
(adb shell rm -f /system/app/root_Superuser.apk)

Hasn't seemed to do anything different.. Removing all SuperUser files, ran out of time to
experiment with. Annoyed that now even my Root Explorer isn't working, I seem to be going
backwards and not forwards!!

After un-rooting (using SRSRoot) I once again have access to my Root Explorer??? Weird.

Last edited: