[Guide] How to get the most out of your brand spanking new G3!

Search This thread

poczynek

Jul 10, 2012
Sydney
Just thought I’d put a short guide together on what I think are some things to do to get the most out of your spanking new LG G3 when you get it or you already have it. Most of you guys might already know most of this or might not. Just thought it might help some people. This ain’t rocket science but every little bit helps!

Battery:

This is the hardest thing to do because like a fingerprint everyone has a different set up with apps and how they use their phone (wifi vs 3g vs 4g etc) that screen on time will always vary. Also you don’t want to turn everything off and cripple your brand new smartphone just for your battery. There’s a balance.

However here are some general things to do that do help:

1. Install Greenify from the Playstore. I have found this is the number one way to stop drainage. This app will hibernate apps when not in use. It doesn’t stop their functionality at all but hibernates them.

2. Don’t use Google Now. I think it’s a gimmick and does bugger all for me however if you use it it will drain your battery big time. Of course if you love it then use it!

3. Don’t use location services. Another big drainer. Just use it when you need it. However if you have apps that need it then of course leave it on!

4. Use ‘auto’ on screen brightness. Mine is on ‘auto’ but at 100% and the brightness is perfectly ok for me.

5. If you continue to get big drainage then download Betterbatterystats from the Playstore and look at the ‘wakelocks’ – this way you will be able to see what’s draining your battery. As a general rule your phone should go into deep sleep for at least 80% of the time.

With this phone I am getting around 5 to 5.5 hours Screen on Time. You should be getting around that too.

Performance:

Here are a few things only that really do help with speed and performance:

1. The whole thermal throttling thing is a pain i.e. LG’s decision to turn down brightness when it gets hot. However there is something you can do and which I have now done for two weeks with no adverse problems. Turn it off! Put this in the phone app: 3845#*400# and then scroll down to 'high temperature property' and switch to enable and do the same for 'thermal daemon mitigation'. Please note my model is ‘400’ so this will work in the number sequence above. For models with other numbers I am pretty sure you just substitute and put that number in e.g. 855.

2. Go to Dev Options and change the transition animation scale, the animator duration scale and the window animation scale to 0.5. This little thing speeds up your phone like nothing else.

3. Root your phone with towelroot. One click root! And then start debloating. Get rid of whatever you want by downloading Titanium Backup and going into each app and freezing whatever you want. Freezing is safer than uninstalling but does the same thing. Debloating is a must!

4. So once rooted then start using xPosed modules by downloading and installing the xPosed framework and then rebooting.

These are my personal Top 3:

a. Download the brilliant xPosed module ‘TweaksBox’ by P_Toti located at:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2792242

And donate something to him! This allows you to change so much with this phone. I dunno where to start. It is superb.

b. I dislike the LG skin so immediately download the Google launcher – to me it is the fastest launcher out there beating Nova and Apex. This launcher cannot be customised however there is a fantastic xPosed module that allows you to customise everything - Xposed Gel settings located here:

http://xdaforums.com/xposed/modules/mod-xposed-gel-settings-t2647275

And donate to him too!

c. How good would it be to extend your nav bar seamlessly if you slide your finger! Well you can – download Xtended nav bar here:

http://xdaforums.com/xposed/modules/mod-xtended-navbar-t2787228

And donate to him too!

I can’t think of anything else but these things definitely help.

And get ready for your G3 – it is super duper great!

nap007

Sep 28, 2008
lol donate this donate that, you sounded like their marketing... nice tips though, I'd like to ask between betterbattery stats and gsam battery monitor, which one better?

will towelroot work on the d855 version?

also what is the difference between greenify's hibernating with titanium backup's freezing?

Last edited:
Reactions: poczynek

poczynek

Jul 10, 2012
Sydney
lol donate this donate that, you sounded like their marketing... nice tips though, I'd like to ask between betterbattery stats and gsam battery monitor, which one better?

will towelroot work on the d855 version?

also what is the difference between greenify's hibernating with titanium backup's freezing?

Ha yes someone's got to donate! They do so much and get so little.

Yes the only reason I said bbs is because I'm used to it. Gsam does the same thing essentially.

Yes from what I read towelroot should work.

Greenify hibernates an app in the background if you are not using it whilst freezing apps effectively uninstalls them without the pain of then being actually uninstalled. And you can unfreeze them any time.

Reactions: Indurus

nap007

Sep 28, 2008
okay, again thanks for creating this thread, btw how do we take screenshots from g3?

daveaus

Jul 13, 2004
If you turn off the "Ok Google" listener you will save most off the battery drainage, I find Google Now pretty handy.

Last edited:

Spewy1

May 29, 2011
Manchester
Is there any danger turning off the thermal thingy. Could the phone completely overheat?

Last edited:

Jan 4, 2013
I'll just confirm for anyone wondering that indeed the turning off the thermal throttling does work by changing the device model number to "855" on the UK version :)

No adverse effects in last half hour or so and have been trying to run demanding tasks to see how it go's

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
You can uninstall all of the bloat without any issues. It also helps with your battery life. I usual get 4 hours of screen time post charge. That's more than most people can get on a stock kernel, and it's great for a 2k display.

Sent from my LG-F400S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1403961921344.jpg
    1403961921344.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,044

nap007

Sep 28, 2008
surprised this thread does not get more attention, I guess most xda members are experts...

btw does g3 has pre installed torch app (cannot find it in mine, I'm pleasantly surprised that there is just little bloatwares pre installed in my phone...) ? if not what is the best non bloated torch app to use?

and also I'm such a noob, can someone link me a guide to use tapatalk efficiently? :D

thanks for the help

nap007

Sep 28, 2008
What is the best torch app you recommend?

Also task manager? Doesn't the android multitasking app work finely for that?

Spewy1

May 29, 2011
Manchester
I am using"flashlight hd led" which seems fine.
Yes android does, I just liked the task manager on the G2, not sure why they didn't keep it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just thought I’d put a short guide together on what I think are some things to do to get the most out of your spanking new LG G3 when you get it or you already have it. Most of you guys might already know most of this or might not. Just thought it might help some people. This ain’t rocket science but every little bit helps!

Battery:

This is the hardest thing to do because like a fingerprint everyone has a different set up with apps and how they use their phone (wifi vs 3g vs 4g etc) that screen on time will always vary. Also you don’t want to turn everything off and cripple your brand new smartphone just for your battery. There’s a balance.

However here are some general things to do that do help:

1. Install Greenify from the Playstore. I have found this is the number one way to stop drainage. This app will hibernate apps when not in use. It doesn’t stop their functionality at all but hibernates them.

2. Don’t use Google Now. I think it’s a gimmick and does bugger all for me however if you use it it will drain your battery big time. Of course if you love it then use it!

3. Don’t use location services. Another big drainer. Just use it when you need it. However if you have apps that need it then of course leave it on!

4. Use ‘auto’ on screen brightness. Mine is on ‘auto’ but at 100% and the brightness is perfectly ok for me.

5. If you continue to get big drainage then download Betterbatterystats from the Playstore and look at the ‘wakelocks’ – this way you will be able to see what’s draining your battery. As a general rule your phone should go into deep sleep for at least 80% of the time.

With this phone I am getting around 5 to 5.5 hours Screen on Time. You should be getting around that too.

Performance:

Here are a few things only that really do help with speed and performance:

1. The whole thermal throttling thing is a pain i.e. LG’s decision to turn down brightness when it gets hot. However there is something you can do and which I have now done for two weeks with no adverse problems. Turn it off! Put this in the phone app: 3845#*400# and then scroll down to 'high temperature property' and switch to enable and do the same for 'thermal daemon mitigation'. Please note my model is ‘400’ so this will work in the number sequence above. For models with other numbers I am pretty sure you just substitute and put that number in e.g. 855.

2. Go to Dev Options and change the transition animation scale, the animator duration scale and the window animation scale to 0.5. This little thing speeds up your phone like nothing else.

3. Root your phone with towelroot. One click root! And then start debloating. Get rid of whatever you want by downloading Titanium Backup and going into each app and freezing whatever you want. Freezing is safer than uninstalling but does the same thing. Debloating is a must!

4. So once rooted then start using xPosed modules by downloading and installing the xPosed framework and then rebooting.

These are my personal Top 3:

a. Download the brilliant xPosed module ‘TweaksBox’ by P_Toti located at:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2792242

And donate something to him! This allows you to change so much with this phone. I dunno where to start. It is superb.

b. I dislike the LG skin so immediately download the Google launcher – to me it is the fastest launcher out there beating Nova and Apex. This launcher cannot be customised however there is a fantastic xPosed module that allows you to customise everything - Xposed Gel settings located here:

http://xdaforums.com/xposed/modules/mod-xposed-gel-settings-t2647275

And donate to him too!

c. How good would it be to extend your nav bar seamlessly if you slide your finger! Well you can – download Xtended nav bar here:

http://xdaforums.com/xposed/modules/mod-xtended-navbar-t2787228

And donate to him too!

I can’t think of anything else but these things definitely help.

And get ready for your G3 – it is super duper great!
    Great post OP. It has got me off on the right track. towelroot is brilliant.

Maybe it is worth mentioning installing a superuser manager like SuperSU if you root the device? SuperSU from chainfire seems to work great here.

For a torch app - I am wary of most of the torch apps in Play Store as they ask for unnecessary permissions and are quite bloated and sometimes full of ads and other crap. Here is a good open source one with no ads, and only the most basic permissions. It has no settings - just a simple on/off button! It is working well on my G3. Shame it doesn't have anything in the notification drawer for quick access when it is on.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scottmain.android.searchlight

Would be interested to hear of other good torch apps that don't want bad permissions or display ads.

Debloating wise there isn't much to do. Freeze the McAfee rubbish. Fortunately LG didn't put too much 3rd party rubbish on the device, although there is a fair bit of LG software on there!

---------- Post added 29th June 2014 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 28th June 2014 at 11:50 PM ----------

Found a better torch app. Spicy Flashlight.

Again no permissions or ads, but this one has a working widget that means you can toggle the light directly without opening the app, and if you use it that way the light persists even if you turn the screen off, open other apps, whatever, until you toggle it off again. Only thing it is a shame it doesn't have an auto-off after x minutes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spicysoftware.spicytaschenlampe
    At this stage there's no thread yet with a list of safe LG apps to freeze. Saying that have a look through your list in titanium backup and you could probably work out a few that can be safely frozen.

If it helps, here's a list of system apps that I disabled with titanium backup. Have been using the phone for close to a week since then and haven't encountered any serious issue yet.

Hope it's useful :)
    What we need is a lost of LG apps that can safely be frozen, and what it is they all do.

Sent from my LG G3
    I'll just confirm for anyone wondering that indeed the turning off the thermal throttling does work by changing the device model number to "855" on the UK version :)

No adverse effects in last half hour or so and have been trying to run demanding tasks to see how it go's