[Q] Buying Nexus 5 doubts because of privacy concerns

Search This thread

AngelicDemon

Jul 17, 2012
hi xda!
i am thinking of buying a N5 but the thing that bothers me the most is the BRUTAL changes that google has made to android kitkat.
things like merging sms to hangout and reading all the incoming calls numbers and even if some one is not in your phone list they may show you the caller's name from google database,so they actually track all the calls that you have and save all the sms that you sent or received.
i think that this is TERRIBLE and it really bothers me.
what do you think is there a way to fix this issue?

sucsss

Feb 14, 2011
nobody is forcing you to use those apps. install alternatives. you don't even have to use google play store.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
hi xda!
i am thinking of buying a N5 but the thing that bothers me the most is the BRUTAL changes that google has made to android kitkat.
things like merging sms to hangout and reading all the incoming calls numbers and even if some one is not in your phone list they may show you the caller's name from google database,so they actually track all the calls that you have and save all the sms that you sent or received.

Our privacy is allready gone, thanks to NSA and other national and global security services.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
hi xda!

They are coming.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
things like merging sms to hangout

What has this got to do with privacy?

treading all the incoming calls numbers and even if some one is not in your phone list they may show you the caller's name

This is called reverse look up. Carriers have been doing this for years and land line providers. It simply matches the number up with known directories of numbers. Its not new and its not related to privacy either

so they actually track all the calls that you have

1) who says they're tracking?
2) if they are "tracking" what makes you think they weren't already tracking?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
If you're that concerned you could always wrap your head in tin foil

Reactions: bblzd
H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

Hi,

Even by just surfing on the web and by posting on a forum and your privacy is (or could be) corrupted, then...... :D

Last edited:

Nexii

Aug 9, 2012
Houston,TX
Its more like caller ID. That you have at home. Same thing. Its just applied to mobile now.

Sent from a Nexii Device

theesotericone

Sep 22, 2013
tin-foil-hat.jpg

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
hi xda!

Google already knows more about you than your own mother does, so I wouldn't be too concerned about privacy anymore. It's looooong gone.

MAXGEN

Feb 19, 2014
Things could change if people decided not do business with these companies. As far as a constitution that affords you some rights of privacy, it only works if people are proactively fighting for it and not actively hiding under the blankets.

Frankie73

Nov 26, 2013
near Vienna
IIRC you are asked if google may use your number for this new "show callers name"-service. You can simply say "no" there. I really don't see any difference in privacy between the N5 and other smartphones. And as some ppl here already mentioned, full privacy is almost impossible in these days unless you are a hermit who lives in a cave or in the woods;) Did you know for example that the NSA can turn on your microphone or your camera anytime if they want? So pls smile when you look at your phone, somebody may be watching you :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you're that concerned you could always wrap your head in tin foil