[Q] Tablet Z bricked?

Search This thread

wullxz

Mar 22, 2014
Hi there,

yesterday I tried to root my new Tablet Z (16GB, LTE, Model: SGP321, Firmware: 10.4.B.0.569) and it doesn't start since then.
I used an ubuntu live CD for all these tasks because fastboot doesn't work on my win 8.1 and my debian wheezy didn't have the libc-dev needed in its repositories (didn't want to mess with packets that weren't yet integrated into my OS).

What I did:
  1. unlock the bootloader according to http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/instructions
  2. I followed the instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/xperia-z/general/how-to-root-10-4-b-0-569-t2590781
    a few annotations to this:
    • the firmware rar didn't include a "Recover.zip", so I used the boot.img directly inside the firmware rar
    • although sony and this CM tutorial use the "-i" parameter of fastboot, I didn't use it because it wasn't used by the tutorial

after I did the "fastboot reboot" step, the device wasn't listed anymore when typing "fastboot devices", which, I think, is okay since the device should restart then.
I think it didn't really restart, because the LED on the side glew red.
I tried to turn on the tablet but it didn't do anything (the LED kept glowing red).
I tried holding vol up and power for a few seconds (until the LED blinked first once and then three times) but the tablet wouldn't do anything except for the LED glowing red. at somepoint, the LED would turn off (I think that happened when I hold vol up and power for more than 10 sec).
I was able to let it glow red again by pressing vol up and power again and release the vol up button before the power button.

I also tried to use the PC companion on my windows machine to repair the tablet but the tablet wasn't even recognized (either using the fastboot-procedure by holding vol up while connecting the tablet nor normal plugging in...)

any ideas what I could do next?

centinel_x

Sep 13, 2014
Same Problem!

Hey wullxz!

I have the same problem. Red LED most of the time, and I cannot make ANY USB connection to the PC. The tablet won't show up in the device manager. So obviously cant use flashtool, nor PC companion. Ive tried all this volume up and down button stuff, but simply cannot get it to show up on the computer.. Tried a different USB cable as well.. Same issue. The USB port is definitely not broken. Its brand new..

Have you found any solution ? Or anyone else? Mine just got back from Sony Repair.. they wont fix it cuz they detected that Ive tampered with the original software.... meaning Warranty Lost!
Great!

wullxz

Mar 22, 2014
hi,

i also sent mine to sony for a repair. i wrote that i did a firmware update and the tablet wouldn't boot afterwards.
i didn't try the bootloader-unlock again afterwards.

centinel_x

Sep 13, 2014
Help Needed!

Tablet Z with unlocked bootloader and rooted 10.1.C.0.370
My issues occured after a downgrade to 4.1.2.

I CAN:
1) Start my tablet, everything normal...
2) Charge my tablet
3) Go into safe mode
4) Go into fastboot mode (solid BLUE LED)
5) Use the memory card and use root apps (maybe this could help restore?)

I CAN NOT:

1) Get my PC to recognize that a USB device is connected. Neither in Mass Storage mode, Media mode, nor fastboot mode.
- Tried with several cables and computers (this is not a driver issue, since it won't show up at all in device manager)
- Flashtool obvious;y says, no device connected

2) Get in to flashmode: device blinks red for about half a second, then green for half a second, and then LED is off. Nothing recognized via USB on PC

3) Get into recovery mode

4) Update over WIFI (fails because unlocled bootloader I suppose)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

wullxz

Mar 22, 2014
i think you should open a new thread for your problem because it seems like it's not really similar to my issue.
you should get more/better replies in an own thread.

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
Tablet Z with unlocked bootloader and rooted 10.1.C.0.370
My issues occured after a downgrade to 4.1.2.

I CAN:
1) Start my tablet, everything normal...
2) Charge my tablet
3) Go into safe mode
4) Go into fastboot mode (solid BLUE LED)
5) Use the memory card and use root apps (maybe this could help restore?)

I CAN NOT:

1) Get my PC to recognize that a USB device is connected. Neither in Mass Storage mode, Media mode, nor fastboot mode.
- Tried with several cables and computers (this is not a driver issue, since it won't show up at all in device manager)
- Flashtool obvious;y says, no device connected

2) Get in to flashmode: device blinks red for about half a second, then green for half a second, and then LED is off. Nothing recognized via USB on PC

3) Get into recovery mode

4) Update over WIFI (fails because unlocled bootloader I suppose)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
let it charge to 100%, check for flashmode drivers installed and then try attaching it to pc only when flashtool asks you to do it.

centinel_x

Sep 13, 2014
let it charge to 100%, check for flashmode drivers installed and then try attaching it to pc only when flashtool asks you to do it.

Hey thanks for your reply... It wont go into flashmode... Theres something fundamentally wrong.. I cant figure out what... I leave it plugged in for 48 hours..but it doesnt really get full.. the most Ill get the orange LED.. like 50%... now its on since about 12 hours.. no LED on at all... strange..

But yea.. no flashmode... Nothing showing up when connecting the USB cable... nothing in device manager..and therefore flashtool sees nothing!

centinel_x

Sep 13, 2014
SOLVED

Problem solved! I can't believe it. Two bad(?) USB cables. Bought a new one, charges fine, flashmode fine. Flashed stock ROM.
However the Camera still doesn't work. Maybe the problem of the cable inside which may have come loose!

Last edited: