Korean Firmware update November 20 2015

Search This thread

supersoulfly

Dec 29, 2010
Seoul, Korea
Well Korea got another firmware update this morning. The update never gave details but here is what I've found so far:

In the settings under Device, there is now an "Auto open apps" option. Basically when you scroll through your apps list, whatever app you stop on will automatically open.

Also in the settings under "connections" there's an alert option now to be notified via vibration when disconnected from your phone.

Under the display setting there's now a screen timeout option. 15 secs, 30 secs, 1 min, or 5 minutes.

Also some bloatware was added. Apps added were a world clock, starbucks, a korean navigation app, and the flipboard news briefing app. There's also a few watchfaces added, nothing new, same ones shown at the initial unveiling. All of them can be uninstalled thankfully.

There's a notification indicator option now also in display. It will make a little orange circle appear on your watchface until you've viewed the notification. Only works if you don't have notifications set to automatically turn on your screen in the Gear Android app.

When reading the text of a notification, it will make the font larger if you double tap the screen.

Cosmetic differences:
now says "add widget" under the + symbol when you scroll all the way right.

On a notification, when you swipe up to dismiss, it now shows a trash can.

For a notification reply, the emoji symbol has been replaced with a more traditional circle happy face.

When you scroll right on the watchfaces menu there's an option to "Add template" now. It then lets you choose from the watchfaces that can be stylized and make a new face from them.

eJTOeOH.png

TV81qLG.png

Last edited:

donky kong 017

May 13, 2011
Vienna
Thx for sharing.
How are the updates rolled out? Seems that austria does not get much love from Sammy...
Is there a way to force the update?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Jrsharp70

Dec 11, 2012
I can't believe they didn't map the top button to toggle most recent app... it's so annoying having to go back to the app screen to get to your music app while running... the button is basically wasted without a double click or long press option.

I glad they brought back the vibrate when disconnected function.

tstreete

Oct 20, 2015
I can't believe they didn't map the top button to toggle most recent app... it's so annoying having to go back to the app screen to get to your music app while running... the button is basically wasted without a double click or long press option.

In SHealth I'm able to swipe/twist to the right and get to the music controller, which then returns to SHealth when I press the back button.

supersoulfly

Dec 29, 2010
Seoul, Korea
Coming from Pebble I expected apps to be persistent and not just to have the watch exit home to the watchface everytime the display times out. It's really nice to have a persistent app for a music player. I could adjust the track or volume without looking at my wrist. And it's also greatly needed for the stopwatch. A settings option for persistent apps would be great.

becca0327

Oct 29, 2011
My Gear app updated this morning, I see no change in the watch. The app on the phone has a whole new layout, but nothing has changed on the watch. Still shows the same J3 software version. I rebooted the watch and nothing. Do I have to reboot my phone? I hate to try this as it always breaks my weather app and I have to totally uninstall all gear apps on the phone and factory reset the watch to get it working again.

ColMustard

Jan 28, 2012
North of Boston, MA
My Gear app updated this morning, I see no change in the watch. The app on the phone has a whole new layout, but nothing has changed on the watch. Still shows the same J3 software version. I rebooted the watch and nothing. Do I have to reboot my phone? I hate to try this as it always breaks my weather app and I have to totally uninstall all gear apps on the phone and factory reset the watch to get it working again.

If it's not a Korean Watch, just be patient. The app was updated, but they have not pushed the new firmware out to the rest of the world. To confirm this, go to Settings->About Gear->Update Gear Software->Update now.

elvishot0017

Jul 14, 2009
display time out

So I got the update on my classic watch, there is 5 new watchfaces.
There is also a new option on the display settings so now you can choose the time from 15 sec up to 5 min.

If i set the display timeout on 5 min it's nothing change...
So I do not understand what the problem is or the new options mean???
Could anyone help me?

Regards

Elvis

montbazon

Mar 14, 2012
Berlin
You guys are lucky.

In korea some devices that are updated got stuck at booting logo.

I think it will be soon fixed and then you can get this update.

dmacias

Feb 1, 2008

I agree there should be a long press top button feature. The way I deal with this problem is I set long press home to the music player. Then to access apps you press home then press home again.

syuusuke

Sep 12, 2011
Cupertino, CA
Encrypted Phone

So I have the Nexus 5X, aka phone is encrypted.

My watch is from Korea and the app does have an update, but I get the error message that it cannot install because phone is encrypted. Any solutions?

FitzAusTex

Jul 31, 2010
My Gear Fit, which isn't actually Tizen, but resembles it a bit, has an option for what you want to do after timeout - return to watch face, or remain on last app. Very handy, and Samsung could certainly add this option, since they already know how it works.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well Korea got another firmware update this morning. The update never gave details but here is what I've found so far:

In the settings under Device, there is now an "Auto open apps" option. Basically when you scroll through your apps list, whatever app you stop on will automatically open.

Also in the settings under "connections" there's an alert option now to be notified via vibration when disconnected from your phone.

Under the display setting there's now a screen timeout option. 15 secs, 30 secs, 1 min, or 5 minutes.

Also some bloatware was added. Apps added were a world clock, starbucks, a korean navigation app, and the flipboard news briefing app. There's also a few watchfaces added, nothing new, same ones shown at the initial unveiling. All of them can be uninstalled thankfully.

There's a notification indicator option now also in display. It will make a little orange circle appear on your watchface until you've viewed the notification. Only works if you don't have notifications set to automatically turn on your screen in the Gear Android app.

When reading the text of a notification, it will make the font larger if you double tap the screen.

Cosmetic differences:
    now says "add widget" under the + symbol when you scroll all the way right.

On a notification, when you swipe up to dismiss, it now shows a trash can.

For a notification reply, the emoji symbol has been replaced with a more traditional circle happy face.

When you scroll right on the watchfaces menu there's an option to "Add template" now. It then lets you choose from the watchfaces that can be stylized and make a new face from them.

eJTOeOH.png

TV81qLG.png
    I'm looking forward to having the "Vibration when disconnected" feature back. Had it with the Gear S
    Any update on sleep monitoring?
    Some decent additions there, but I was really hoping Sleep Tracking would be included. :(

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    @supersoulfly Does the ambient mode screen stay on when one sets the setting like this?

Watch always on: yes
    Wake up gesture: off

With the above setting, my display keeps turning itself off after a while. Super annoying.

My display only stays on all the time if both settings are set to On.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I'll test it out this morning. I don't usually have the wake up gesture on.

Based off my experience though, I'm suspecting it's the watchface you're using. I recall when I used the Tuner Military watchface, with the wake up gesture off, my always on face would frequently shut itself off. I only recall having that issue with that specific watchface. I will test it out with the Calendar Analog face to make sure.