[GUIDE] How to get root on the 10.1v

Search This thread

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney
BEFORE YOU BEGIN

As always, mucking with your device at this level is risky. If you follow this process, you do so entirely at your own risk. I accept no responsibility for any detrimental effects resulting from following this process, or for any problems associated with the updated files. Only if you accept these risks should you use these instructions.

PREREQUISITES
  • Unlocked bootloader (see my guide to do this)
  • Working fastboot (also see my guide )
  • Patience

NOTES
I developed and followed this process on Ubuntu Natty, 64bit. I see no reason why it should not work on any other platform, since the only tool used is fastboot and the syntax for fastboot is the same on any platform. if you need to know how to get fastboot working, there are already many guides for that (see my how to unlock your bootloader thread, for example)

BUTTON CONFUSION
When in landscape mode, with the camera at the top, the power button is on the left 'vertical' side of the tab. On the top is the volume rocker. In this orientation:
- The LEFT side of the volume rocker is VOLUME DOWN
- The RIGHT side of the volume rocker is VOLUME UP
This might seem obvious, but to anyone who is used to phones, this is the opposite, since they were designed to be used in Portrait mode.

PREPARE
1) With your Tab in fastboot mode (step 1 of "GETTING ROOT" below), make sure you have a working fastboot implementation:
Code:
fastboot devices
If all is well, you should see your device serial number. If there is a problem, you won't get any response.

2) Downlad View attachment skitzandroid-10-1v-root_0.2.zip and View attachment skitzandroid-stock-recovery.zip

3) Create a folder on your desktop called "root"
Code:
mkdir ~/Desktop/root
for Ubuntu or
Code:
md %userprofile%\desktop\root
for Windows
This will be referred to as the working directory throughout the rest of this guide

4) Copy skitzandroid-10-1v-root.zip to your working directory (DO NOT UNZIP!)

5) Extract the skitzandroid-recovery.img file from skitzandroid-stock-recovery.zip to your working folder. Your working folder should now have 1 IMG file and one ZIP file.

6) This was an afterthought - Make sure fastboot is somewhere in your path (ie can be executed from anywhere). To test, 'cd' to any random folder and type 'fastboot' and make sure it runs.

7) Copy the skitzandroid-10-1v-root.zip file to the root of your sdcard. You can eithe drag/drop, or run:
Code:
adb push skitzandroid-10-1v-root.zip /sdcard/
from your working directory

...now the easy part

GETTING ROOT

1) Power off your Tab and power it back on, while holding the VOLUME DOWN button.

2) When the DOWNLOAD / FASTBOOT icons appear, press VOLUME DOWN again to select FASTBOOT icon (the one with the USB logo) and press VOLUME UP to confirm selection.

3) Confirm you are now in fastboot mode and do a:
Code:
fastboot devices
If all is well, you should see your device serial number.

4) Open a terminal / CMD prompt and CD to your working folder
Code:
cd ~/Desktop/root
for Ubuntu or
Code:
cd %userprofile%\desktop\root
for Windows

5) Run the following command:
Temp Root:
Code:
fastboot boot skitzandroid-recovery.img
..and wait. It might not look like anything is happening but it is.
Permanent Root:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery skitzandroid-recovery.img

6) You should now have a recovery menu. Use the volume rocker (up/down navigates menu options) to select "Install zip from SDCARD" (or something like that - if someone can post the exact menu item wording, I will update the guide). Press (tap!) the POWER button to confirm the menu selection

7) Navigate to the root of your internal storage (/sdcard), select the skitzandroid-10-1v-root.zip file and press (tap!) the POWER button to confirm selection.

8) Once complete, use the Volume rocker to select "REBOOT" from the menu and press (tap!!!) the POWER button to confirm selection.

9) You're done! Press the thanks button on this thread to continue ;)

TESTING

1) Once your Tab boots up, check your apps menu to confirm the existence of SuperUser app.
2) With the Tab attached to your PC via USB cable, do the following:
Code:
adb shell
su
..and watch the screen on your Tab for a SuperUser prompt. If you see this, congratulations!

If you have never rooted a phone/tablet before, go get Titanium Backup Pro and ROM Manager from the market. As soon as the custom ROMs start flowing in, you'll be all set to go.

Edit: How about thanking smaskell who was very patient and persistent in dumping the image from his Google IO 10.1 - for the good of his fellow XDA members. Without his help, this would not be possible.

Last edited:

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney
Note that the above process doesn't flash the recovery, just loads it.

If you want to flash the recovery permanently, all you need to do is follow the guide above and then, in step 5, use this command instead:
Code:

You will then have a permanent recovery which you can get to by doing:
Code:
adb shell
su
reboot recovery
at any time.

Note that doing just
...for some bizarre reason does not boot to recovery. Open up a shell first, as shown above.

I will also give you credit in the guide for having "Balls of Steel" to steal a phrase from PaulObrien :D

EDIT:
...and the Balls of Steel award goes to *drumroll*
:cool: Egan :cool:
...for having the balls to flash the recovery. Thanks egan. If I was in a battle, I'd definitely want you in our squad :D

Last edited:

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney
FAQ
  • Does it need unlocked bootloader? Yes, see my other guide for this.
  • Do I need to wipe, or will it wipe my device? No and No.
  • Can I return my device to factory default config? Yes. This process does not flash the partition unless you follow the process in post 2 which is optional.

Changelog
0.2 - Added busybox (can be flashed over the top of 0.1 without wipe)
0.1 - Initial Relase

Factory Voda Tab Images

Last edited:
Reactions: GSO and Mallkon

Egan

May 29, 2010
Thanks a lot bcmobile and smaskell! Ill give it a go around launch.

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA Premium App

black beard

Jan 7, 2010
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already - but is there anyway of getting temp root on these devices so I can backup all my apps and data (properly) before unlocking / flashing recovery / rooting??

Reactions: bcmobile

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney
This wont make any changes to the partitions. You could undo the whole process by just deleting a few files.

The process in my second post would actually flash the image, and would be permanent if you had no 'factory' recovery image to flash back.

The 'standard' process in post 1 is normally used for testing and doesn't overwrite the recovery partition

gjroeleveld

Aug 17, 2010
Thornton Heath
Thanks a lot. Works like a charm

Now to make a full "original" fastboot flashable restore fileset:
Boot: dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/sdcard/boot.img
System: dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 of=/sdcard/system.img

Would this be enough to have a proper "original" image? (With the small addition of root offcourse)

(Did a dd of dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/sdcard/efs.img too, just to have a backup :)

Will see if I can make a full nandroid back-up now
Before flashing any recovery images etc..

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney
Thanks a lot. Works like a charm

Now to make a full "original" fastboot flashable restore fileset:
Boot: dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/sdcard/boot.img
System: dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 of=/sdcard/system.img

Would this be enough to have a proper "original" image? (With the small addition of root offcourse)

(Did a dd of dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/sdcard/efs.img too, just to have a backup :)

Will see if I can make a full nandroid back-up now
Before flashing any recovery images etc..

That's all the backup I have done so I hope so :)

Just uploading a new version of the update zip (v0.2) which includes busybox

black beard

Jan 7, 2010
This wont make any changes to the partitions. You could undo the whole process by just deleting a few files.

The process in my second post would actually flash the image, and would be permanent if you had no 'factory' recovery image to flash back.

The 'standard' process in post 1 is normally used for testing and doesn't overwrite the recovery partition

Sorry, I realise that applying the root won't wipe anything, but unlocking the bootloader comes with a nice factory reset if I'm not mistaken..

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney
Sorry, I realise that applying the root won't wipe anything, but unlocking the bootloader comes with a nice factory reset if I'm not mistaken..

That is part of the recovery image, not the unlocked bootloader.

You can always put back a stock image using fastboot which is one of the really nice things about fastboot unlocking vs bootloader exploits. "fastboot oem unlock" can then be undone by "fastboot oem lock" and nobody would know the diff.

Last edited:

CorrieM

May 14, 2010
Centurion
Thanks,

Also remember to enable USB debugging after you have done the unlocked bootloader, took me 5 min to to realize why adb did not want to work, 5 scary :eek: min after the reboot.

gjroeleveld

Aug 17, 2010
Thornton Heath
I've tried to make a proper nandroid backup but haven't been able too.
Tried with romdump 0.72 but that crashes :-(

Most tutorials use Rom Manager, but that needs some work from @koush before we can use it.

I'll google on :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BEFORE YOU BEGIN

As always, mucking with your device at this level is risky. If you follow this process, you do so entirely at your own risk. I accept no responsibility for any detrimental effects resulting from following this process, or for any problems associated with the updated files. Only if you accept these risks should you use these instructions.

PREREQUISITES
    • Unlocked bootloader (see my guide to do this)
    • Working fastboot (also see my guide )
    • Patience

NOTES
    I developed and followed this process on Ubuntu Natty, 64bit. I see no reason why it should not work on any other platform, since the only tool used is fastboot and the syntax for fastboot is the same on any platform. if you need to know how to get fastboot working, there are already many guides for that (see my how to unlock your bootloader thread, for example)

BUTTON CONFUSION
    When in landscape mode, with the camera at the top, the power button is on the left 'vertical' side of the tab. On the top is the volume rocker. In this orientation:
    - The LEFT side of the volume rocker is VOLUME DOWN
    - The RIGHT side of the volume rocker is VOLUME UP
    This might seem obvious, but to anyone who is used to phones, this is the opposite, since they were designed to be used in Portrait mode.

PREPARE
    1) With your Tab in fastboot mode (step 1 of "GETTING ROOT" below), make sure you have a working fastboot implementation:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    If all is well, you should see your device serial number. If there is a problem, you won't get any response.

2) Downlad View attachment skitzandroid-10-1v-root_0.2.zip and View attachment skitzandroid-stock-recovery.zip

3) Create a folder on your desktop called "root"
    Code:
    mkdir ~/Desktop/root
    for Ubuntu or
    Code:
    md %userprofile%\desktop\root
    for Windows
    This will be referred to as the working directory throughout the rest of this guide

4) Copy skitzandroid-10-1v-root.zip to your working directory (DO NOT UNZIP!)

5) Extract the skitzandroid-recovery.img file from skitzandroid-stock-recovery.zip to your working folder. Your working folder should now have 1 IMG file and one ZIP file.

6) This was an afterthought - Make sure fastboot is somewhere in your path (ie can be executed from anywhere). To test, 'cd' to any random folder and type 'fastboot' and make sure it runs.

7) Copy the skitzandroid-10-1v-root.zip file to the root of your sdcard. You can eithe drag/drop, or run:
    Code:
    adb push skitzandroid-10-1v-root.zip /sdcard/
    from your working directory

...now the easy part

GETTING ROOT

1) Power off your Tab and power it back on, while holding the VOLUME DOWN button.

2) When the DOWNLOAD / FASTBOOT icons appear, press VOLUME DOWN again to select FASTBOOT icon (the one with the USB logo) and press VOLUME UP to confirm selection.

3) Confirm you are now in fastboot mode and do a:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    If all is well, you should see your device serial number.

4) Open a terminal / CMD prompt and CD to your working folder
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/root
    for Ubuntu or
    Code:
    cd %userprofile%\desktop\root
    for Windows

5) Run the following command:
    Temp Root:
    Code:
    fastboot boot skitzandroid-recovery.img
    ..and wait. It might not look like anything is happening but it is.
    Permanent Root:
    Code:

6) You should now have a recovery menu. Use the volume rocker (up/down navigates menu options) to select "Install zip from SDCARD" (or something like that - if someone can post the exact menu item wording, I will update the guide). Press (tap!) the POWER button to confirm the menu selection

7) Navigate to the root of your internal storage (/sdcard), select the skitzandroid-10-1v-root.zip file and press (tap!) the POWER button to confirm selection.

8) Once complete, use the Volume rocker to select "REBOOT" from the menu and press (tap!!!) the POWER button to confirm selection.

9) You're done! Press the thanks button on this thread to continue ;)

TESTING

1) Once your Tab boots up, check your apps menu to confirm the existence of SuperUser app.
    2) With the Tab attached to your PC via USB cable, do the following:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    ..and watch the screen on your Tab for a SuperUser prompt. If you see this, congratulations!

If you have never rooted a phone/tablet before, go get Titanium Backup Pro and ROM Manager from the market. As soon as the custom ROMs start flowing in, you'll be all set to go.

Edit: How about thanking smaskell who was very patient and persistent in dumping the image from his Google IO 10.1 - for the good of his fellow XDA members. Without his help, this would not be possible.
    Note that the above process doesn't flash the recovery, just loads it.

If you want to flash the recovery permanently, all you need to do is follow the guide above and then, in step 5, use this command instead:
    Code:

You will then have a permanent recovery which you can get to by doing:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    reboot recovery
    at any time.

Note that doing just
    ...for some bizarre reason does not boot to recovery. Open up a shell first, as shown above.

I will also give you credit in the guide for having "Balls of Steel" to steal a phrase from PaulObrien :D

EDIT:
    ...and the Balls of Steel award goes to *drumroll*
    :cool: Egan :cool:
    ...for having the balls to flash the recovery. Thanks egan. If I was in a battle, I'd definitely want you in our squad :D
    I tried to root my tab on ICS (4.0.4).
    First I tried to use the latest droidbasement recovery, but it didn't boot. So I used the old recovery.img, then applied the skitzandroid-10-1v-root_0.2.zip
    That worked and I rebootet the tab.
    Now I have a Superuser App. But the problem is: it doesn't give any root permissions. No confirm dialog, nothing in superuser log.

How can I get superuser to work in ICS again?

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

I tried to root my tab on ICS (4.0.4).
    First I tried to use the latest droidbasement recovery, but it didn't boot. So I used the old recovery.img, then applied the skitzandroid-10-1v-root_0.2.zip
    That worked and I rebootet the tab.
    Now I have a Superuser App. But the problem is: it doesn't give any root permissions. No confirm dialog, nothing in superuser log.

How can I get superuser to work in ICS again?

Got It. Thanks to isimobile!! :good:

Works nearly like the tutorial in the first post. But you need to flash the new su binary afterwards too.
    su binary for ARM from here: http://androidsu.com/superuser/
    Copy that to /sdcard and reboot in fastboot (usb mode).
    fastboot boot skitzandroid-recovery.img, then update su from sdcard
    Thats it.
    FAQ
    • Does it need unlocked bootloader? Yes, see my other guide for this.
    • Do I need to wipe, or will it wipe my device? No and No.
    • Can I return my device to factory default config? Yes. This process does not flash the partition unless you follow the process in post 2 which is optional.

Changelog
    0.2 - Added busybox (can be flashed over the top of 0.1 without wipe)
    0.1 - Initial Relase

Factory Voda Tab Images
    COWS ePlana

Hi Le Dam,

I've been trying to root my Tab but had the same problem as you...
    I guess this has to do with the superuser zip file from h**p://androidsu.com/superuser/.
    Could you please confirm which of the files you used?

su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip

or

Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip

Thanks

Hi durius,

First, I flash su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip but I but I have not seen any change.
    In second time, I've flashed Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip and it work !

I can't say if you must flash only Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip or if you must flash su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip AND Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip?

(sorry for my bad english, I usually speak french)

;)

Come back to tell us if it works!