[Q] Hiding an app from windowsphone.com marketplace

Search This thread

kevyn82

Mar 2, 2011
Riva del Garda
Hello guys,

Do you think that is possible to hide an app from being visible on queries on the windowsphone.com marketplace but keep it visible on searches trough the phone?

I am not considering the case of private/public betas

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Well, there are private stores, such as the business stores and such, which are invite-only. Then there's "private" stores like the OEM stores and such, where some phones can see that store but it's not normally reachable from another phone or the website.

I don't know of any other such option. What's the use case?

kevyn82

Mar 2, 2011
Riva del Garda
Well, I don't want to get into the matter too much, since it is not a problem (and I don't want to talk about piracy)
but there is an app in the Italian marketplace developed by my carrier, which app isn't obviously available outside the Italian marketplace.
I was able to download it and install it by searching for it through the phone marketplace. But the same app isn't visible on the windowsphone.com marketplace.
When I search for it I get as a suggestion, on the auto-complete list, the name of the app. But then as soon as I open it, the page says that it couldn't find the app.

It is really intriguing.

rbrunner7

Apr 16, 2012
www.megos.ch
Possibly bad data

I would not rule out a small error in the database behind the Marketplace as the reason for this phenomenon.

I personally had several cases where I checked the Marketplace with IE on my PC for interesting apps among the daily new apps, and when I clicked on the link to the publisher in the app description to see who made that app and check whether that publisher made other apps as well, I got an error message "no such publisher".

I think this "small data error" theory really is as probable as some hidden Marketplace feature that so far noboby knows the details about...

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Mobile Operators (MOs, or carriers) can have their own private stores just like OEMs. I actually know where the files the control this on your phone are located, and they can be modified or overwritten (my OEM Marketplace XAPs replace the OEM ones). Items from MO or OEM stores don't appear in the "public" views of the Marketplace, such as the website.

Reactions: kevyn82

kevyn82

Mar 2, 2011
Riva del Garda
But how is it possible that I can access my MO private marketplace by using a phone branded by another carrier?
I understand that it is just a string to edit in the registry, but can they do it over the air? or the phone isn't smart enough to change it, like it changes MMS and APN settings by changing SIM card?
Thanks

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Do *NOT* change the registry to do this! I'm not even sure if that would work short-term, and long-term it would mess up your phone (break the Marketplace and all apps installed from it until you hard-reset).

There are a couple of apps that will safely change the MOMarketplace. They are similar to my OEM Marketplace XAPs, except they work as actual apps that you install and then make a selection in (requires root-unlock). One of them even allows you to lock the file read-only so the phone doesn't overwrite it with its branded one.

kevyn82

Mar 2, 2011
Riva del Garda
Thanks,
I don't want to change or edit the registry.
I just wanted to know how it works:

my question was:

how is it possible that I can access my TIM ITALIA private marketplace since I am using a VODAFONE ITALY branded phone?

Apparently is not a registry key. There should be something on the SIM Card,
unless LG's app "Network configurator" changes that key according to the SIM Card insert.

Where did you read that I want to change that registry key?

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
Do *NOT* change the registry to do this! I'm not even sure if that would work short-term, and long-term it would mess up your phone (break the Marketplace and all apps installed from it until you hard-reset).

There are a couple of apps that will safely change the MOMarketplace. They are similar to my OEM Marketplace XAPs, except they work as actual apps that you install and then make a selection in (requires root-unlock). One of them even allows you to lock the file read-only so the phone doesn't overwrite it with its branded one.

Why not just save a copy of your prefered file, and after an updated copy that over the restricted mess ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mobile Operators (MOs, or carriers) can have their own private stores just like OEMs. I actually know where the files the control this on your phone are located, and they can be modified or overwritten (my OEM Marketplace XAPs replace the OEM ones). Items from MO or OEM stores don't appear in the "public" views of the Marketplace, such as the website.