[APP ViperRez] Htc Locations/ Footprints

Search This thread

Budderz

May 23, 2012
For those of you running ViperRez and miss the Htc Locations;(Footprints) app from Venasaur, I have a quick solution to get it working again.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yxhovh7z35z9zbx/jRrZKD36JX

1. Download the zips and two folders in the link and place them on your phone
2. Flash the zips in recovery first
3. Take the files from system_app and copy them to /system/app using a file explorer(root explorer) and change the permissions to rw-r-r for all files
4. Take the files from system_lib and copy them to /system/lib using a file explorer(root explorer) and change the permissions to rw-r-r for all files
5. Reboot phone and enjoy the Htc locations app again :D

P.s. The reason I use Locations is because I live in a rural area without internet all the time and its nice to have offline gps maps when I go hiking and such without them expiring after 30 days like google maps, so if its not to much trouble could you put it in as an option in aroma Joelz? I'm sure others in rural areas would appreciate it as much as me. Plus your rom is the only sense 4.0 one that I've gotten Locations to work on.

Last edited:

Budderz

May 23, 2012
I tried but I don't know which lib or framework files it needs to go along with the apk's, if someone else knows then I'm sure it would be just as easy as htc locations.

Budderz

May 23, 2012
mine keeps telling me it cant connect to the server right after it tells me to download, retry gets the same result. Cancel leaves the program. Thos are my only options. Any ideas?

I've added "Footprints_system_files_signed.zip" to the dropbox folder, try flashing both of the zips in recovery first then replacing the system/app and system/lib files and be sure you fixed the permissions to read/write for user and read only for the other two (rw,r,r)

jbeitel

Jan 26, 2007
In a Galaxy far far away
beitel.us
I added those but it still says can't connect to server for downloading location files (before the app launches). Any ideas? Maybe an alternate way to get them?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Budderz

May 23, 2012
If I didn't work I have no clue as I'm not a really a developer or anything I just noticed another thread that got locations working on another phone so I just took the files needed for them to run from the team pkmn rom (since its a sense 4.0 rom for rezound that had locations working on it) put them in there right place on my phone rebooted and it worked for me. When I took the files from the other phone and tryed it didn't work and gave me the same problems your having. Silly question but your trying this in a rezound and not another phone right ? If you using a different phone you'll need to find a rom for that phone with a similar build that has locations working, pull the files from it and put them on your rom. Also some people say to install LocationsInstaller.apk but when I tryed to install it it wouldn't work so I just stuck it in system/app rebooted and the location app appeared in my launcher finally.

Also not sure if this has anything to do with it but when I was running xXx I downloaded the maps of the west and midwest to use offline, So I already had the offline data for the maps when I attempted to get this working. Also its off by about 50 feet but when I'm hiking the backcountry without internet I can live with 50 feet.

My advice would be to try and install the LocationsInstaller.apk and see if it actually installs and if it does reboot your phone and try to launch the app, if it launches it should tell you its out of date and needs to download files, let it do its thing reboot again and if all went well it should work. If it doesn't I'm out of ideas for now and maybe someone else (developer) can chime in with there thoughts.

I never intended for this to be for the community but I figured if it worked for me it might for others. If all else fails for you there's and app called "Maps (-)" in the market that appears to have offline maps and lots of customizing but to get full features you need "Maps (+)" which costs $2.99 and im a cheapskate lol. MapsWithMe also seems like a good alternative that is 100% free

Last edited:

rsobczuk

May 31, 2007
Warsaw
Hi,
I did exactly as it is in this instruction on my Desire HD with custom Jelly Android and have an error:
Unfortunately Location launcher has stopped.
Any ideas how to fix it?
Thanks...
Rafal

Frazercrib

Jul 15, 2013
Lagos
Sorry if am posting on the wrong thread, but pls does anybody have an alternative download link for the viperrez rom?..the link on the main thread is dead