Oct 12, 2012
Shah Alam
When will it out?? Does the touchscreen on the controller works?? o_O

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

cindylove

Apr 14, 2011
When will it out?? Does the touchscreen on the controller works?? o_O

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

on march it will be shipped to the backers on kickstarter. on april it will be delivered to the people who pre ordered on ouya.tv and after that you can buy it probably in may everywhere else.

Of couse does the touchscreen on the controller work.
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUJQtXI8Tx4

brizey

Aug 6, 2011
Might have to pick one of these up. As for the why if you have a tablet or smartphone? I'd gladly pay $100 to not have to dink around opening up my av cabinet to plug in my phone or tablet to my surround receiver. From what I have read it does not have an Ethernet port which is disappointing since it is a fixed device, but I guess it is cheap. Would be better for streaming...but really a htpc trumps everything for playing video and I have one, so mostly just a game console for the kids for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

mancur

Feb 28, 2009
Might have to pick one of these up. As for the why if you have a tablet or smartphone? I'd gladly pay $100 to not have to dink around opening up my av cabinet to plug in my phone or tablet to my surround receiver. From what I have read it does not have an Ethernet port which is disappointing since it is a fixed device, but I guess it is cheap. Would be better for streaming...but really a htpc trumps everything for playing video and I have one, so mostly just a game console for the kids for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
The Wikipedia states that it does have an Ethernet port. I'm hoping it does, because wireless N isn't always fast enough for high bit rate 1080p videos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouya

lui8906

Oct 1, 2010
Can't wait for this console. It has so much potential to be such a cool and cheap media option for TV as well especially with XBMC. :D

gregpxc

Aug 25, 2011
Pretty excited for this. I am not a huge fan of Android on my phone but would love a little something like this for a project device!

krispycorn

Jan 15, 2013
XBMC was my main reason to purchase. I'm hoping it will have the power to do Aeon Nox skin and 1080p content over Wifi, so I can put it at any place in house. Purchased one for now w extra controller. If it works well w XBMC will be buying a second one for the kids TV so they have on demand kids movies from my ripped to hdd bluray collection. Things like games, other useful apps, old school emu, etc are just cherry on top :).

Only thing I am hoping for is a IR accessory, much like Logitech's one for the ps3. Would be great to be able to turn it on in an Activity w the Harmony One. I already use Yatse for XBMC on my N4, so a third controller (ouya controller) to turn it on would be a shame, but hopefully someone comes up w something...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

mancur

Feb 28, 2009
XBMC was my main reason to purchase. I'm hoping it will have the power to do Aeon Nox skin and 1080p content over Wifi, so I can put it at any place in house. Purchased one for now w extra controller. If it works well w XBMC will be buying a second one for the kids TV so they have on demand kids movies from my ripped to hdd bluray collection. Things like games, other useful apps, old school emu, etc are just cherry on top :).
My exact reason and thinking as well.

As far as processing horsepower: I'm running the hardware beta builds of XBMC today on the Nexus 7 and am able to decode 1080P up to 20Mbps. Over 2.4GHz wireless N, I do see some pauses for "buffering" on files with bitrates above ~14Mbps, which is either saturating the bandwidth of the Wifi connection or the hardware is unable to keep up. At this point, I can't be sure which.

So, considering that the Ouya uses the same cpu as the Nexus 7, except it's clocked 33% faster, it should have no trouble with 1080P content.

And, I believe the Ouya runs wireless N at 5GHz, which has more throughput than at 2.4GHz, where the Nexus 7 must operate, so wireless speeds may not be an issue either.

Overall, this thing should kick ass with XBMC.

BTW, if anyone's interested in trying the hardware decoding beta builds of XBMC for Android, you can find them here. Pick the one with "hwaccel" in the title:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/

Reactions: krispycorn

krispycorn

Jan 15, 2013
Good to hear. Haven't tried the HW accel builds yet. I currently have XBMC running thru PC as second monitor on TV as my comp is in the home theater room as well. I slowly want to move away from this setup though. Hoping for an IR accessory for integration w Harmony remote activities...

krispycorn

Jan 15, 2013
So is OUYA getting a specific build of XBMC for it only or will it use the normal XBMC Android app (and in future the hw accel versions once they are out of beta and merged)...?

scensorecho

Jul 21, 2010
Still unsure about it

I mean, I'd probably use it for streaming, but the Xbox is pulling that off perfectly right now, and the next "console" I buy will most likely be the Steambox. But for $99... Might have to rethink that

krispycorn

Jan 15, 2013
Do you mean old xbox, as in XBMC on old xbox? Cause if you're doing just dlna media streaming, that doesn't compare at all to XBMC imo w up to date Frodo, art scraping, the visuals of UI skins like Nox, TV Tunes, plugins like Sports Devil etc. I used to do DLNA myself straight to my PS3, but it feels archaic now compared to XBMC...

mancur

Feb 28, 2009
Do you mean old xbox, as in XBMC on old xbox? Cause if you're doing just dlna media streaming, that doesn't compare at all to XBMC imo w up to date Frodo, art scraping, the visuals of UI skins like Nox, TV Tunes, plugins like Sports Devil etc. I used to do DLNA myself straight to my PS3, but it feels archaic now compared to XBMC...

XBMC + OUYA
http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/08/07/xbmc-and-ouya-oh-yeah/

It's not clear if it'll be a special build that appears in the Ouya store, or if you just sideload the Android app, but it'll work. I already see Ouya specific stuff in the XBMC merge notes.

Reactions: krispycorn

lordhardware

Apr 15, 2010
Melbourne
To everybody saying "I can use a controller on my s3"

Sure you can... but can you connect 4 and play multiplayer games developed solely for this console?

...Yeah

To everybody saying "I can use a controller on my s3"

Sure you can... but can you connect 4 and play multiplayer games developed solely for this console? ....

That's a big maybe, and possible not. Not because of the controller, but more the developed solely for this console. According the Google Play's page for Sixasxias Controller, it will support up the four controllers.

As for Ouya developed games unless there is device or Ouya specific check build into the game, it may be possible to side load on another mobile device. And if the hardware is similar enough, it may run well. Obviously, and in theory, those games will be optimized to run on the Ouya.

Unfortunately, at this point, the Ouya does have some redundancy in regards to capabilities when compared to other Android mobile devices. It will other benefits that will set it apart. One, it'll always be connected to the TV. Other devices, probably not because people will use their Android mobile devices on the go, which means you have to hook up cables to the TV or leave them out. This can be hassle or not aesthetically pleasing. Won't get disrupted from an incoming call while gaming on the device; No issues with console power since it won't run on battery power. I'm sure there will be something software wise, but I don't know enough on Ouya's software to make a decent guess.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    to some degree you're right, it does seem to be a redundant device. And more than a few of us have done exactly that. On the same token, not that many games on Android and programmed to use a controller such as Dead Space, Need for Speed, Angry Birds, and so forth. Yet, some are such as Dead Trigger, GTAIII (granted this is a port),and Shadowgun.

Why someone would want this, is an excellent question that is more on subjectivity, than objectivity. Personally, I got it to support an alternative to mainstream consoles--Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo. I don't piicture anything like this becoming a big threat to them, but as Michael Patcher said, could be a nice second console. One that is just always hooked up to the TV, rather than having to leave the wire hooked up the TV. And as a practical matter, not all mobile devices have microHDMI and HML outputs. HML does not always give enough juice to charge a phone, but slows the discharge rate.

Some controllers need root access to the phone such as the Playstation Sixaxias, well the Sixaxias Controller application does. I would venture to guess that most mobile phone owners are NOT rooted. Some controllers don't such as the Wiimote and maybe some generic blue tooth controllers, but how well they work may be questionable. I know the OnLive universal controller works, but only well with OnLive; I've tried Dead Trigger and Shadowgun and wasn't able to program the buttons.

In addition, I think some people are hoping if there are enough numbers, it will attract more developers. This could mean more better quality games, and maybe some new interesting ideas that would otherwise be too expensive or risky on other platforms. That's part of the point of Ouya is for low entry cost into game development into the living room. I know that's part of my hope.

I figured it's only a $100. I've blow that without thinking with going out to eat or other similar activities, so it's not like I'll miss the money. It wouldn't be the first time I've gotten tech where the company went under. If were able to use Google Play or side load games, the console will be usable even if the company goes under.
    My exact reason and thinking as well.

As far as processing horsepower: I'm running the hardware beta builds of XBMC today on the Nexus 7 and am able to decode 1080P up to 20Mbps. Over 2.4GHz wireless N, I do see some pauses for "buffering" on files with bitrates above ~14Mbps, which is either saturating the bandwidth of the Wifi connection or the hardware is unable to keep up. At this point, I can't be sure which.

So, considering that the Ouya uses the same cpu as the Nexus 7, except it's clocked 33% faster, it should have no trouble with 1080P content.

And, I believe the Ouya runs wireless N at 5GHz, which has more throughput than at 2.4GHz, where the Nexus 7 must operate, so wireless speeds may not be an issue either.

Overall, this thing should kick ass with XBMC.

BTW, if anyone's interested in trying the hardware decoding beta builds of XBMC for Android, you can find them here. Pick the one with "hwaccel" in the title:
    http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/

XBMC + OUYA
    http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/08/07/xbmc-and-ouya-oh-yeah/

It's not clear if it'll be a special build that appears in the Ouya store, or if you just sideload the Android app, but it'll work. I already see Ouya specific stuff in the XBMC merge notes.
    Maybe. Just depends on what you're trying to run on the PC.

The issue, although the PC is a lot more robust, it also costs a lot more than a hundred dollars. And some of the games on Android are not on the PC, and vise versa.

As for the controller, probably could be hooked up. I suspect it'll be blue tooth. Worse case, it'll have generic HID controller drivers.