At&t unlimited data throttling ?

Search This thread

samomamo

Jul 17, 2010
Hi, I have a unlimited data and f-in At&t throttling after 2 gb. What is the point of this man. This phone companies think we are stupid, calling it unlimited and throttling after 2 gbt's. And the government doesn't see this that they are lying to people.

I ordered the galaxy note for 299 once I recive it I'm canceling my account and f them not paying anything.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Reactions: demetriew

planoman

Nov 30, 2010
Plano, Texas
Hi, I have a unlimited data and f-in At&t throttling after 2 gb. What is the point of this man. This phone companies think we are stupid, calling it unlimited and throttling after 2 gbt's. And the government doesn't see this that they are lying to people.

I ordered the galaxy note for 299 once I recive it I'm canceling my account and f them not paying anything.

so you paid 299 for a brick?

samomamo

Jul 17, 2010
so you paid 299 for a brick?

No I will unlock it and use it. Or sell it .

And I'm not going to pay the early termination fee, if they can change their policy every time they want, I can change my policy too f m.

Last edited:

planoman

Nov 30, 2010
Plano, Texas
No I will unlock it and use it. Or sell it .

And I'm not going to pay the early termination fee, if they can change their policy every time they want, I can change my policy too f m.

As you use your t mobile SGSII phone...and once they lock the IMEI? It will be a $299 brick! Just a thought, you might want to think through your plan...to bring ATT down.

DanMc85

Jan 6, 2008
USA

They don't throttle if you are on an unlimited plan unless you are in the top 5%. I had a customer last month who used 28GB in one month streaming netflix all day every day. Needless to say he was being throttled. They actually put a code on your account if you are being throttled that any rep can see and they send you an automated text message. So it is not a surprise, so unless you got this text then you are experiencing slower speeds for some other reason.

Reactions: vileofmsz

samomamo

Jul 17, 2010
As you use your t mobile SGSII phone...and once they lock the IMEI? It will be a $299 brick! Just a thought, you might want to think through your plan...to bring ATT down.

They can't lock the imei, second the phone will be sold by that time.

samomamo

Jul 17, 2010
They don't throttle if you are on an unlimited plan unless you are in the top 5%. I had a customer last month who used 28GB in one month streaming netflix all day every day. Needless to say he was being throttled. They actually put a code on your account if you are being throttled that any rep can see and they send you an automated text message. So it is not a surprise, so unless you got this text then you are experiencing slower speeds for some other reason.

If its UNLIMITED the its supposed to be UNLIMITED OK. Maybe i want to use 100 gb Not unlimited 2 kbps:). Them my policy is limited too:) I have 5 lines I will order 5 noted for 299 then sell them the cancel and f them. And I will not pay etf fee let them ruin my credit I don't give a ...

Last edited:

giantenemybird

Oct 28, 2011
Austin, TX
I've downloaded 8gigs in a month before without being throttled.

If you're leaving AT&T, you have these options:

Verizon. Basically the same as AT&T except a few dollars more. No unlimited data. They throttle.

T-Mobile. Crappy coverage. Less expensive. Throttles you after 2 gigs.

Sprint. Crappy coverage. Unlimited data with no throttling, but it's only a matter of time until their customer base grows and their network has to stop unlimited and start throttling. You'll be in the same position eventually with crappier coverage.

Random bad credit carrier: Good luck with that.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

If its UNLIMITED the its supposed to be UNLIMITED OK. Not unlimited 2 kbps:)

The term "unlimited" doesn't specify a speed.

Maroon Mushroom

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, Oregon

If it really bothers you, then switch to the 3gb data plan.

If it bothers you even more, file an official FCC complaint. Many people already have.

We throttle the top 5%. The top 5% varies per market. I regularly pass 10gb and I have had no message on my personal account.

And think about what your other options are.
-2gb on T-Mobile
-Limited LTE data on Verizon, same as us. (they throttle too)
-Sprint - sure you get unlimited. but they have the slowest data out of all the carriers

samomamo

Jul 17, 2010
So we have to bend over and take it? That's what we are doing now.

boxerlover02

Jan 20, 2009
Sagamore hills, Ohio
So your saying anybody that uses more then 2-3 gbs is in the "top 5%"? I just got the text that I'm approaching the top 5% and I'm just over 3gbs. I agree with the OP it's a load of BS if I sign up for something that's labeled unlimited it should be unlimited. I think its BS that they throttle it so low most apps like YouTube wont even work right. And for the government stepping in that'll take some REAL change in government, there is to much money changing hands in politics for real change to happen and get rid of the corporate government take over. I can't believe for one second that only 5% of at&t customers use less then 2gbs a month. If they started throttling at like 10 or so i would have no problem but after 2-3 they want us to get rid of our unlimited and go to a tiered plan so they can charge a crap ton of money and line their pockets just like the rest of the corporate greed out there!!!

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

Maroon Mushroom

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, Oregon
So we have to bend over and take it? That's what we are doing now.

File an FCC complaint. All the carriers have awful data plans.

So your saying anybody that uses more then 2-3 gbs is in the "top 5%"? I just got the text that I'm approaching the top 5% and I'm just over 3gbs. I agree with the OP it's a load of BS if I sign up for something that's labeled unlimited it should be unlimited. I think its BS that they throttle it so low most apps like YouTube wont even work right. And for the government stepping in that'll take some REAL change in government, there is to much money changing hands in politics for real change to happen and get rid of the corporate government take over. I can't believe for one second that only 5% of at&t customers use less then 2gbs a month. If they started throttling at like 10 or so i would have no problem but after 2-3 they want us to get rid of our unlimited and go to a tiered plan so they can charge a crap ton of money and line their pockets just like the rest of the corporate greed out there!!!

The amount at which you get throttled varies per market.

And I disagree with it too. It sucks.

boxerlover02

Jan 20, 2009
Sagamore hills, Ohio
The fact that you say that it varies from market to market sounds like its very ripe for abuse on their part. I can't see how it could be justifiable to throttle me at a little over 3gb when you are using over 10 a month. Sounds like you know an end around the very system you work for. It all boils down to corporate greed and the fact that we in the USA have let companies like this get away with so much for so long that its just 2nd nature and everybody wants to say its the consumers fault.

Willthrill

Feb 4, 2012
LA
I had a text 1 day before my cycle ended saying I am approaching the top 5%

Now you ask how much data I had used do you.... 1.5 gb
Now that is complete horse sh*t

00mred00

Aug 11, 2010
Princeton Tx
Guys verizon does not currently throttle LTE customers, they do throttle 3g.

as for the APN tricks...we are noticing on the Skyrocket forum that for many it is not working any more.

The best you can do is continue to call in and have the specific throttle call response center note your account of any issues you are experiencing while throttled (i.e. I was throttled for 8 days during my last billing cycle and no web pages would load, text messaging stopped working, the market gave no connection errors, mms was not working at all) so that they know this is doing more harm than simply limiting speeds.

That and file a SPECIFIC FCC complaint. So far FCC complaints have done nothing but initiate a contact from ATT that this is the new policy.

The major problem is that as the throttle policy continues, the top 5% will drop as people use less data. This and the fact that the call center uses the consumer calling in to complain as an opportunity to have them switch to a tiered plan, on which they will not be throttled.

The given response is intended by ATT to be

1. The throttle policy is intended to be a temporary solution to the evergrowing need for growing spectrum and the currently congested network.

2. For immediate relief one can use wifi when available and one does have the option of changing to a tiered plan, which is not throttled.

Is it BS, yes, but it is what it is.

I did the math and we are better off staying with ATT right this moment.
Our six lines of service would cost much much more on any other carrier. In my case I could actually switch to the 5 gb plan and use 3gb over and still pay less than at the competing carriers.

drpal181

Mar 25, 2008
How is the amount in the top 5% determened? I got my line way back in the day when smartphones were taboo and not "trendey" and it was known as cingular. I didnt half to pull matrix hack to get teathering. The software was on the disk and the instructions were on the owners manual. Why are long time customers have to be restricted now? I got my unlimited plan because I want and can make use my data. I got trottled only after two to three day in the billing cycle. I stream spurs basketball on nba league pass moble which would jusiffy getting such a plan. Why do I need to pay for wifi when I already paying for the use of unlimited data? Wifi is for the customers that need to ration thier limited data.

samomamo

Jul 17, 2010
My brothers what can we do seriously to damage At&t for BS ing us. Tomorrow the can say anyone using 100 MB is top 5%.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We need an Occupy ATT. I am the 5%

Sent from my MB508 using xda premium
    I wish the people who throw around the phrase "abusing the network" would take a step back and see what a tool of the carriers that makes them look like. Carriers invented the term for the sole purpose of disguising their greedy, money grab tactics.

A person abusing the network would be someone maliciously damaging or negatively impacting it, such as someone writing a script to constantly download random data just to purposely tie up bandwidth. 99.9% of the people you disparagers are calling abusers are not! They're just users who happen to be heavy users.

The internet has evolved, and with it, many wonderful sites and services. They're there to be used and enjoyed, and mobile networks were created to make them more accessible! There's nothing wrong with using the network as intended. In any population there will be a distribution of usage levels from very heavy to very light, with most averaging in the middle. The very light balance the very heavy. What we're seeing here with the people on grandfathered unlimited plans is the natural usage level, which carriers are trying to restrict and shape into more profit. But if there's no malignant intent, there's no abuse.

The wireless carriers are raking in record profits; they have plenty of cash to build out to suit demand. They simply find it more profitable and easier to abuse their monopolistic power in this thoroughly screwed wireless market by jacking up prices and using anti-competitive measures like long contracts and device exclusivities and non-interoperability to keep customers, rather than improving service. Of course every company pursues profits above all, rightfully so, but in this broken system, the carriers are the abusers, of their customer base!

So please, stop echoing the carriers' misused term of network abuser!

(Btw, I average ~300MB per month, so I'm a pretty light user, but I still stand up for others rights.)

Also when using acronyms for gigabyte and megabyte you do not need to put a "s" to make it plural, it's just GB and MB. Also for transfer rates it's either:

GBPS - Gigabits per second
    GBps - Gigabytes per second
    MBPS - Megabits per second
    MBps - Megabytes per second

Also note that there is a huge difference in bits and bytes.

You got that wrong. the "p", which stands for per, is always lower case. It's the "B" which is either upper or lower case depending on bits or bytes.

b = bit
    B = byte

There are 8 bits per byte.

Megabit per second = Mbit/s, Mb/s, or Mbps
    Megabyte per second = MB/s or MBps
    Giga... = same as Mega but G in place of M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units

If it really bothers you, then switch to the 3gb data plan.

If it bothers you even more, file an official FCC complaint. Many people already have.

We throttle the top 5%. The top 5% varies per market. I regularly pass 10gb and I have had no message on my personal account.

And think about what your other options are.
    -2gb on T-Mobile
    -Limited LTE data on Verizon, same as us. (they throttle too)
    -Sprint - sure you get unlimited. but they have the slowest data out of all the carriers
    You call it greed? Fine.

I call it business. They're all out to make money. It's a pretty simple concept. If you don't like it, you don't HAVE to use their products.

It's insulting to imply that someone you don't know is "sheeple". I try to have a big picture view, not just what benefits me personally.

If anything, your view can be seen as sheeple, since it's shared by the masses. But I won't be the one to say it. You can have your opinion, and I can have mine. I don't see why you came out of your cave to even do this.

That's fine for most businesses, but not wireless carriers. If BMW wants to require you sign a 2 year contract to buy only their gasoline at $12 a gallon in order to purchase one of their cars, no problem! Anybody can start up a car company, and there are many car companies out there, so competition keeps things reasonable.

Wireless spectrum is a limited resource that belongs to the people and is leased to wireless carriers. There is a huge barrier to startup and strict limitations due to the limited spectrum. Unchecked corporate greed is NOT ok here; regulation is needed, and currently our wireless market is in the ****ter, with competition almost non-existant beyond cursory motions for appearance.
    Data throttling...?
    I have unlimited data but I'm not familiar with this term can you explain this to me