Rooting Atrix HD on Jelly Bean

Search This thread

bconcio

Apr 7, 2011
Is the phone supposed to mount when connecting USB to Ubuntu? And should I have it as a media device when plugging in? I did everything in the instructions and installed the fsutils and I'm still getting

sudo: unable to execute /tmp/share/adb: No such file or directory
ubuntu@ubuntu:/tmp/share$ sudo /tmp/share/adb shell /storage/rfs0/pwn

I'm on Ubuntu 12.10 (64) should I try a different distro?

EDIT: It's because my storage connection was rfs1 instead or rfs0. If you're having that problem check the storage number on your phone.

Last edited:

dosmac

Jul 20, 2009
Is the phone supposed to mount when connecting USB to Ubuntu? And should I have it as a media device when plugging in? I did everything in the instructions and installed the fsutils and I'm still getting

ubuntu@ubuntu:/tmp/share$ sudo /tmp/share/adb shell /storage/rfs0/pwn

I'm on Ubuntu 12.10 (64) should I try a different distro?

I did it on 12.04 using VMWare Player and posted instructions a few pages back. The VMWare forces the USB connection I think and it works fine for me :) ATT Atrix HD

martythebrit

Jul 12, 2007
Worked like a charm.

Worked like a charm from a flash drive Ubuntu 12.10 install.

If you're wondering, all your data is safe, it doesn't reset the phone.

The only issue I had was the SuperSU binary wouldn't update. So I uninstalled it directly from the Play store then re-insatlled from Play. I noticed that SuperSU was updated today. (Feb.23rd).

Thanks you for this!

Last edited:

mjharless

Jan 19, 2010
Did not work on Electrify M(RAZR M clone)

Tried several times. Connected fine. Get the busybox access denied error. Wondering if it matters what version of "files" app you have. Could someone who got it to work check what version of the "files" app you have?

antp121

Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey
ugh vzw razr m doesnt have remote storage :( we have Backup Assistant Plus instead :/ dumb vzw...

edit: anyone care to pull the files app from their atrix? worth a shot i guess

Last edited:

fastvan67

Jan 16, 2010
Well, I have been scanning the forum looking for this particular problem. Haven't seen it yet.
All went well with the setting up of Ubuntu and all the codes to type in. And yes my phone has Debugging enabled. My problem came in when I had to put in my IP address and such in my phone to link to the Ubuntu system. It tell me that the information is incorrect. I have rechecked my IP and put in everything exactly as stated in the instructions.
Did I miss something or does anyone know what I did wrong?

grant2

Oct 14, 2012
Open the "File Manager" app, and select "Remote storage". Click "Add storage", and fill in fields as follows:
Ok took me a while to figure this out: The app to do this is called "Files"

BTW, it's been mentioned before, but: If you are using VMWare player... make sure your internet is in "bridged mode" ... this makes your ubuntu virtual machine connect directly to your router... this will allow your phone to connect to it via wi-fi on your home network.

If you don't use bridged mode, I don't think any device except the host computer can talk to the VM!

Last edited:

hugoqueiroz94

Jun 21, 2012
FLN
I'm using live cd, and when i get to this part:
sudo /tmp/share/adb kill-server
sudo /tmp/share/adb shell /storage/rfs0/pwn

I get this error:
sudo: unable to execute /tmp/share/adb: No such file or director

I'm using ES file explorer.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update:
    I'm leaving this post here for posterity's sake, but an easier root method is now available at:
    http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/15208-root-motochopper-yet-another-android-root-exploit/

The package may be downloaded at http://vulnfactory.org/public/motochopper.zip

---

As promised, this post describes how to root the Atrix HD Jelly Bean build. This should also work on other Motorola 4.1.2 builds (Razr/Razr Maxx, Razr HD, Razr M, etc.).

The exploit requires setting up a special Samba share and mounting this share on your phone using the File Manager app. I apologize that this process may seem involved for some of you, and request that members of this community help each other out if some of you are having problems completing the procedure. I'm not able to provide individual tech support to every user who wants to root this phone.

The following instructions require a working Linux installation. The following instructions are for Ubuntu. If you don't want to install Ubuntu permanently on your machine, I suggest using a LiveCD installation. Instructions on setting this up are described here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD#How-To_LiveCD_Ubuntu

Once you're booted into Ubuntu, open a terminal. Create a new directory for your Samba share:

Code:
    mkdir /tmp/share

Next, install the samba package:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install samba

Edit the configuration file for samba:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

Add the following lines to the end of the configuration file and save your changes:

Code:
    [share]
    	path = /tmp/share
    	available = yes
    	valid users = guest
    	read only = yes
    	browsable = yes
    	public = yes

Close the text editor once you've saved your changes.

Next, create a user for the Samba share by typing in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo useradd guest -m -G users

Set a password for the new user. Remember this password:

Code:
    sudo passwd guest

Provide a password here and press enter. You won't see the characters you're typing, so be careful.

Next, set a password on the share. Use the same password you just provided:

Code:
    sudo smbpasswd -a guest

Type the password you created before and press enter.

Next, restart the Samba server:

Code:
    sudo restart smbd

Finally, download and prepare the required files to the Samba share:

Code:
    cd /tmp/share
    wget [url]http://vulnfactory.org/public/motoshare.tgz[/url]
    tar xvf motoshare.tgz
    sudo chown root:root pwn
    sudo chmod 6755 pwn

At this point, you'll need to know the IP address of your Linux host, which you can get by running "ifconfig" from your terminal (it should be of the form "192.168.x.x").

Next, move over to your Android device. Ensure you have enabled USB Debugging Mode (under Settings -> Development Settings). Ensure your device is connected via Wifi.

Open the "File Manager" app, and select "Remote storage". Click "Add storage", and fill in fields as follows:

Code:
    Host IP address:		[your Linux machine's IP address]
    Domain name:			WORKGROUP
    Shared folder name:		share
    User:				guest
    Password:			[the password you created above]

At this point, the phone will mount your Linux share. To complete the process, plug in your phone via USB to your Linux machine, and type the following in your Linux terminal:

Code:
    sudo /tmp/share/adb kill-server
    sudo /tmp/share/adb shell /storage/rfs0/pwn

If it's successful, this should print "[+] Rooting complete!".

Finally, install Supersu by typing the following in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo /tmp/share/adb install /tmp/share/eu.chainfire.supersu.apk

Congratulations, enjoy your rooted device.

I can't stress this enough: I can't provide individualized tech support for everyone on this forum. Please help each other.

TTLayland has been successfully rooted using this technique and has volunteered to help. If you get stuck and can't find support on these forums, feel free to email him at ttlayland (at) gmail (dot) com.

Paypal:
    http://goo.gl/zBGb0
    Ok, everybody is going to need to wait a bit while I sort out some technical issues. Don't worry, the exploit is already confirmed to work, it's just a matter of making it possible for you all to easily use it.
    Can everyone please stop quoting the OP. Just hit reply!

Sent from my phone.
    And this is why need to mod the apk to install on my razr i.

You can unlock your RAZR i and root anytime you want. Something these users would do in a split second if they could.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    +1 for windows version

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium

There is a technical problem in doing a windows version from what I understand. Its not that difficult to boot a Linux LiveCD or LiveUSB don't even have to install it on your computer.

EDIT: If you need help post it here :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2