[APP] 27-OCT-2010 Circular battery Indicator with % (No root required)

Search This thread

irkan

Nov 26, 2009
Hi

*For the latest update, check the bottom of the post, ENJOY*

Desire
yesterday i wanted to get a battery status bar for my desire just like the picture below

44749876.png

found a thread here that explain how to get it

Super Circle Battery with % |Version A-I & Z (Custom)| Desire 2.2 ROM

Problem
However i found out that i am un-able to use it because the requirments for installing (what i have been told in the thread) is that your device has to be

1. Rooted
2. Have different ROM than the stock ROM

personally i find it very inconvenient to root & flash a new ROM just to get this battery circular percentage (thats all i want, I am pretty satisfied with the stock FROYO 2.2)

Solution
I have modified an APK, used an existing programming logic (Battery Indicator - Open Source Project) but with different presentation.

the APK can be installed to your Desire (and probably other android phones without any problems) and it will show you what you want in the notification bar, just like in the screenshot below
23475device1s.png

Advantages
- You will not need to root your device (this APP will not change any system files in the framework-res.apk)
- You will not need to install different ROM
- Small size APK, you can just download, install and enjoy :)

Disclaimer
I have tested this APP on my Desire with stock FROYO 2.2 without any problems I have not tested it on any other device.
The App does not alter any system files, worst case scenario you will get FC. but just to be on the safe side, install on your own risk ;)

wold appreciate any feedbacks

Credits
- Battery Indicator from Darshan Computing (Freeware & Open Source)
- Graphics provided by Fightspit (Thank you!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer some of the questions
- the Circular Battery Indicator does not use a lot of battery resources, the device broadcasts a message when the battery status changes, the app catches this broadcast and update itself to show the right percentage, it is as simple as that, so it is extremely light weight on the CPU.

-It is impossible to remove/hide the original battery icon on the status bar without root privileges, and if you have root you dont need this app, chances are you already found away to alter the original/stock battery icon to match your desire (check first post for the link on how to change stock battery icon if you have root).

-I am considering uploading this to the market, to reach a bigger market and making the updating process easier, dont have lots of time to do this now, but i am surly considering it

-for all the people who are interested in the control switch more than the app itself Lol ... its called "SwitchPro" widget

Enjoy
Irkan

UPDATE 27-OCT-2010
A version for the Desire's twin brother, Nexus One :) (and all other phones that has white status bar) check the attachments for downloads

cbiz.jpg

UPDATE 17-OCT-2010
Fixed some small FC issue reported by a friend :)

UPDATE 16-OCT-2010
Alright a new version, with gradient color fill, less complicated code, and new icon :)

grids.png

deviceum.png

if you liked the app, hit the "Thanks" button ;)

Attachments

• circular_battery_indicator.apk
    442.2 KB · Views: 48,816
  • circular_battery_indicator(for_white_bars).apk
    442.2 KB · Views: 12,759
Last edited:

mik101

Jul 13, 2010
I like this idea for non-rooted users. Nice work!
Anyone have any ideas for hiding the original one? (without needing root preferably since obviously with root you could install this as a morph/flash).

irkan

Nov 26, 2009
I like this idea for non-rooted users. Nice work!
Anyone have any ideas for hiding the original one? (without needing root preferably since obviously with root you could install this as a morph/flash).

that could be tricky, since altering any default component in the bar requires system privilege (i.e. root)

irkan

Nov 26, 2009

thanx for passing by :)

How can I hide the origional one and move the circle in its place i do have root but do not know how to hide the origional and move the circle one. Im using DX

check http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=724778

read the whole post :) I used Battery Indicator (Open Source Project) as a base and gave the owner credits (Darshan Computing)

Last edited:
Reactions: turkdos

euqiddis

Sep 11, 2010
London
My bad, the first link that i downloaded was definately Battry indicator, but i've just tried it now and got it working on my Wildfire. Thanks again.

irkan

Nov 26, 2009
My bad, the first link that i downloaded was definately Battry indicator, but i've just tried it now and got it working on my Wildfire. Thanks again.

Ahaa i guess because wildwfire is using mdpi so it took old icons, not hdpi, first version i developed was for hdpi only, but now both have same icons

how is the graphics in your wildfire (app graphics) are they choppy or anything?

Jufis

Sep 19, 2010
offtopic: how to get that bar with flight mode, vibration, 3g, bluetooth etc. buttons? I have that too but there's only like 4 different buttons.

looks awesome! i'm gonna try and see how it works for me:)

Last edited:

PollPixx

Apr 27, 2009
Works very well over here, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my rooted X10i using tapatalk preparing to go out to watch soccer....

fabiomsouto

Oct 9, 2010
Tested on Vodafone 845, works perfectly.
The circular indicator looks a bit pixelated though. Perhaps it has something to do with the screen resolution?

Anyway, great app!

kwankl

Sep 27, 2010
I can't see the % number (in white) clearly in my Nexus One (status bar is in white).

michael too

Jul 22, 2010
I have the same problem as kwankl, except I can't see the number at all. Is it possible to have a version with black numbers?
Thx

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
where did you get that power control widget with all the extra stuff on it?

Averix

Jun 18, 2010
Kahului
Anyone have any comments on how battery intensive this battery monitor is? Most of the other widgets or notification apps I've tried seem to have a serious impact on battery life. Quick Battery is probably my favorite so far and seems to drain the least juice. I like this one's look much better, so I hope it doesn't chew battery.

BTW, display icon looks great on an EVO. Text is clear and readable too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

*For the latest update, check the bottom of the post, ENJOY*

Desire
    yesterday i wanted to get a battery status bar for my desire just like the picture below

44749876.png

found a thread here that explain how to get it

Super Circle Battery with % |Version A-I & Z (Custom)| Desire 2.2 ROM

Problem
    However i found out that i am un-able to use it because the requirments for installing (what i have been told in the thread) is that your device has to be

1. Rooted
    2. Have different ROM than the stock ROM

personally i find it very inconvenient to root & flash a new ROM just to get this battery circular percentage (thats all i want, I am pretty satisfied with the stock FROYO 2.2)

Solution
    I have modified an APK, used an existing programming logic (Battery Indicator - Open Source Project) but with different presentation.

the APK can be installed to your Desire (and probably other android phones without any problems) and it will show you what you want in the notification bar, just like in the screenshot below
    23475device1s.png

Advantages
    - You will not need to root your device (this APP will not change any system files in the framework-res.apk)
    - You will not need to install different ROM
    - Small size APK, you can just download, install and enjoy :)

Disclaimer
    I have tested this APP on my Desire with stock FROYO 2.2 without any problems I have not tested it on any other device.
    The App does not alter any system files, worst case scenario you will get FC. but just to be on the safe side, install on your own risk ;)

wold appreciate any feedbacks

Credits
    - Battery Indicator from Darshan Computing (Freeware & Open Source)
    - Graphics provided by Fightspit (Thank you!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer some of the questions
    - the Circular Battery Indicator does not use a lot of battery resources, the device broadcasts a message when the battery status changes, the app catches this broadcast and update itself to show the right percentage, it is as simple as that, so it is extremely light weight on the CPU.

-It is impossible to remove/hide the original battery icon on the status bar without root privileges, and if you have root you dont need this app, chances are you already found away to alter the original/stock battery icon to match your desire (check first post for the link on how to change stock battery icon if you have root).

-I am considering uploading this to the market, to reach a bigger market and making the updating process easier, dont have lots of time to do this now, but i am surly considering it

-for all the people who are interested in the control switch more than the app itself Lol ... its called "SwitchPro" widget

Enjoy
    Irkan

UPDATE 27-OCT-2010
    A version for the Desire's twin brother, Nexus One :) (and all other phones that has white status bar) check the attachments for downloads

cbiz.jpg

UPDATE 17-OCT-2010
    Fixed some small FC issue reported by a friend :)

UPDATE 16-OCT-2010
    Alright a new version, with gradient color fill, less complicated code, and new icon :)

grids.png

deviceum.png

if you liked the app, hit the "Thanks" button ;)
    +1

Any word on whether this is possible/planned?

Greetings

As i said in the first post.

this is impossible without changing system files, which requires "root" privileges, and the thing about this app that it does not require root / changing system files, its very safe, thats its main feature.

so until android allows "normal" users to add / remove basic things from notification bar, this is impossible with this app unfortunately.

if you have root, you can visit http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=724778

its an excellent thread (actually this is the thread that inspired me to do this app) from Fightspit that describes how you get what you want if you have root.

I have many ideas to improve this app, the thing is, i have many more important stuff going on right now, hopefully when i have some free time i will have a go at it.

and if u like the app, dont forget the "Thanks" button ;)

thanx for passing by :)

How can I hide the origional one and move the circle in its place i do have root but do not know how to hide the origional and move the circle one. Im using DX

check http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=724778

read the whole post :) I used Battery Indicator (Open Source Project) as a base and gave the owner credits (Darshan Computing)
    Circular Battery Indicator with BLACK text (For white bars)

h t t p://youruploads.tk/uploads/circular_battery_indicator.apk
    nice app! thank you very much! Simple yet cool!