Hard Brick on Asus ZenPad S8 (Z580CA) or Z580C

Search This thread

bert_747

Sep 30, 2012
HARD BRICK NO MORE!!! Asus ZenPad S8.0 Fix

I made the sad retarded mistake in updating a manual zip file thru CMW... I know retarded... anyways this caused the tablet to Hard Brick bootloader only with very little options, you might even have your serial number showing up as all 1's.
Usually this isn't a big deal sadly this tablet gets little to no love on the internet it seems... This is a guide to help anyone un-brick their tablet

Step 1. First this is more of a windows 10 issue than anything but some driver installs thru the Asus Flash Tool might fail.. something to do about Driver Certificates, so you'll want to disable that on your Win 10.. here a tutorial link for more youtube link HERE

Step 2. Installing the proper Drivers if you haven't already, which will all be in this zip folder HERE

Make sure you installed the ADB-Setup | Intel Android Drv Setup | Asus Android USB Drivers | Asus Flash Tool Installer 1.14

Step 3. Next you'll want to download the .raw file for the ZenPad can be found HERE

Step 4. Open your Asus Flash Tool Installer, boot up your device in the boot mode. (Hold Down the Volume Up + Power ) till you see a little android man with a hardhat.

Step 5. Plug in your device and you should see your device show up as shown HERE, next you'll want to select the model in the model drop down.... Z580C or Z580CA.. then select file. Now if it only lets you select zip thats okay. On the open file dialog box you'll see you can type in the file, simply type in the file path of the .raw file. Once you have that check on Erase Content which will erase all your internal content, and hit flash... let it run until the blue light on the program is green and has flashed succefully.

JCIWuDu.png

JldLaZP.png

LhKrIAY.png

Now you may still get on a bootloop when it restarts, if that happens simply again restart in boot loader screen and do a hard reset and you'll be good to go! Afterwards just throw that new Marshmallow update in the internal and restart .. and you'll device will ask if you want to update now u got your tablet back and Marshmallow!!! I hope this helps if you have any troubles with the links, images please feel free to let me know pm or reply to this post!!! Best of Luck!

.RAW File was provided by Portzebie! Thanks again bud!!

Last edited:

tfq535

Sep 20, 2016
Thanks for this guide. You mentioned .img file, but the file has a .raw extension. Do I need to change the extension from .raw to .img ? Yor response will be highly appreciated. my device is Z580CA.
Thanks again.

Reactions: bert_747

portezbie

Mar 31, 2012
Thanks for this guide. You mentioned .img file, but the file has a .raw extension. Do I need to change the extension from .raw to .img ? Yor response will be highly appreciated. my device is Z580CA.
Thanks again.

Just followed the guide and after a little tinkering was able to get it to work. You don't need to change the file extension.

A few additional notes:

-to install the asus android drivers (not sure if it's even necessary but), open the ASUS_Android_USB_Drivers folder, then the android folder, then right click android_winusb.inf and select install.

-in the asus flash tool, after you select model, the location of the raw file and wipe, make sure you click on the SN to select the device. I didn't do this the first few times and it didn't do anything.

Last edited:

tfq535

Sep 20, 2016
Just followed the guide and after a little tinkering was able to get it to work. You don't need to change the file extension.

A few additional notes:

-to install the asus android drivers (not sure if it's even necessar but), open the ASUS_Android_USB_Drivers folder, then the android folder, then right click android_winusb.inf and select install.

-in the asus flash tool, after you select model, the location of the raw file and wipe, make sure you click on the SN to select the device. I didn't do this the first few times and it didn't do anything.

Thanks again, it worked like a charm.

PMikeP

Jul 12, 2013
Step 5. Plug in your device and you should see your device show up as shown HERE, next you'll want to select the model in the model drop down.... Z580C or Z580CA.. then select file. Now if it only lets you select zip thats okay. On the open file dialog box you'll see you can type in the file, simply type in the file path of the .img file. Once you have that check on Erase Content which will erase all your internal content, and hit flash... let it run until the blue light on the program is green and has flashed succefully.

Thanks for the guide.

The link to your screenshot is missing.

Reactions: bert_747

Groger

Jul 26, 2010
a little question,

is it possible to get xfstk files to restore a corrupt bootloader?

thx,,,

magnus_bn

Oct 2, 2016
Bonn
ASUS Flashtool doesn't start flashing

Hi all, apprechiated all the posts above however, came across another issue when trying to downgrade from MM 6.0.1 to Lollipop
1. Hooked up my Z580CA tablet as described above.
2. ASUS flashtool recognized my device (right serial number and blue light on)
3. I was not able to put in the raw-file location, only (neither with backslash or without)
4. When pasting path and including backslash I was able to select the raw file (H:\EDV\Tablet\Android 5 LP\RAW\Z580C_all_WW_user_V4.6.1.raw was quoted in the file name window)
5. When I hit start, the flashtool ask for confirmation upon wiping data.
6. Nothing happens :(
Does anybody have a clue what went wrong

Servaas

Dec 5, 2010
Does anyone know how to upgrade again to MM after flashing this rom?

EDIT: CAUTION People, there seems to be no way to upgrade back to MM after flashing this ROM.

Last edited:

edu47

May 17, 2012
Yes you can upgrade

Does anyone know how to upgrade again to MM after flashing this rom?

EDIT: CAUTION People, there seems to be no way to upgrade back to MM after flashing this ROM.
I downgraded from marshmallow to lollipop with this instrucción and then upgraded again todo mm. It worked without any troubles

Servaas

Dec 5, 2010
I downgraded from marshmallow to lollipop with this instrucción and then upgraded again todo mm. It worked without any troubles

And you did this by downloading the .zip file from Asus Support? Then you placed it on the internal memory of the Zenpad? Unzipped or zipped?

EDIT: Until someone more senior comes to this thread and confirms that they have a. Used the provided .raw file, and b. updated afterwards with the precise steps i'm very much questioning this .raw file legitimately.

Last edited:

edu47

May 17, 2012
And you did this by downloading the .zip file from Asus Support? Then you placed it on the internal memory of the Zenpad? Unzipped or zipped?

EDIT: Until someone more senior comes to this thread and confirms that they have a. Used the provided .raw file, and b. updated afterwards with the precise steps i'm very much questioning this .raw file legitimately.
download on asus homepage the file "UL-P01M-WW-5.4.3.0-user.zip", just copy it like it is on the root of your internal sdcard.
restart your zenpad and it will show you the message, upgrade available.
Edit:are you sure you on lollipop? If you are on Marshmallow ,the device wont recognize the systemupgrade.
if you re rooted it may also wont work

Last edited:

Servaas

Dec 5, 2010

download on asus homepage the file "UL-P01M-WW-5.4.3.0-user.zip", just copy it like it is on the root of your internal sdcard.
restart your zenpad and it will show you the message, upgrade available.
Edit:are you sure you on lollipop? If you are on Marshmallow ,the device wont recognize the systemupgrade.
if you re rooted it may also wont work

All of it does nothing for me. I'm stuck on 5.0. To people reading this use this .raw file at your own risk.

edu47

May 17, 2012
All of it does nothing for me. I'm stuck on 5.0. To people reading this use this .raw file at your own risk.

Did you made an factory reset after installing lollipop on fastboot mode?
Switch your device off. Turn it on by pressing volume up and powerbottom at the same time.
When the little androidman appears you can stop pressing both bottoms.
Choose factory reset with volume bottom and confirm with power bottom.

Servaas

Dec 5, 2010
Did you made an factory reset after installing lollipop on fastboot mode?
Switch your device off. Turn it on by pressing volume up and powerbottom at the same time.
When the little androidman appears you can stop pressing both bottoms.
Choose factory reset with volume bottom and confirm with power bottom.

I just did this, this is my second tablet by the way, I returned the other one and this second one also does NOTHING when trying to update.

Its a shame really, its a great product but the lousy support on Asus side does little to inspire to again purchase from them. Honestly who rips out multiple user support on a tablet?

I'm all out of options to be honest, I have tried everything even variations on suggested sulotions but nothing works to make the update pop up.

This .raw file to me is broken when there is no way to update beyond that. But I need multi user support so I guess ill just stay on 5.0.

edu47

May 17, 2012
I just did this, this is my second tablet by the way, I returned the other one and this second one also does NOTHING when trying to update.

Its a shame really, its a great product but the lousy support on Asus side does little to inspire to again purchase from them. Honestly who rips out multiple user support on a tablet?

I'm all out of options to be honest, I have tried everything even variations on suggested sulotions but nothing works to make the update pop up.

This .raw file to me is broken when there is no way to update beyond that. But I need multi user support so I guess ill just stay on 5.0.

Probably you still on lollipop by this version "Z580C_all_WW_user_V4.6.1.raw" from the tutorial . Get from asus usa website the "UL-P01M-WW-4.7.1.0-user.zip" and update to latest lollipop version . Then it might update again to mm.
Here the link
h ttp://www.asus.com/us/Tablets/ASUS_ZenPad_S_80_Z580CA/HelpDesk_Download/

Servaas

Dec 5, 2010
Probably you still on lollipop by this version "Z580C_all_WW_user_V4.6.1.raw" from the tutorial . Get from asus usa website the "UL-P01M-WW-4.7.1.0-user.zip" and update to latest lollipop version . Then it might update again to mm.
Here the link
h ttp://www.asus.com/us/Tablets/ASUS_ZenPad_S_80_Z580CA/HelpDesk_Download/

This zip file also doesnt register, nothing pops up and no, when pushing the update button it also does nothing.

It would seem that the OP provided a nice 5.0 raw file that renders your tablet un updateble.

I'll be returning this tablet and going for the only available option in the netherlands the samsung 8 incher.

newappz

Dec 13, 2011
Z580C tablet is bricked, it happened on update, I think battery was too low. Screen is black all the time, under windows device manager it connects as other devices, MOOREFIELD device with no drivers and I can hear from windows sounds that it reboots after some time. All post #1 drivers are installed.
Please help.
Thank you

Last edited:

mesjanloar

Jan 19, 2011
Hi all, apprechiated all the posts above however, came across another issue when trying to downgrade from MM 6.0.1 to Lollipop
1. Hooked up my Z580CA tablet as described above.
2. ASUS flashtool recognized my device (right serial number and blue light on)
3. I was not able to put in the raw-file location, only (neither with backslash or without)
4. When pasting path and including backslash I was able to select the raw file (H:\EDV\Tablet\Android 5 LP\RAW\Z580C_all_WW_user_V4.6.1.raw was quoted in the file name window)
5. When I hit start, the flashtool ask for confirmation upon wiping data.
6. Nothing happens :(
Does anybody have a clue what went wrong

Had the same problem and what I did to make it work was.
1. Lunch Asus Flash Tool
2. Connect device in download mode (volume up + power)
3. Wait for device to be visible in Asus Flash Tool ( Serial number + blue dot) - you may need to restart tablet using reboot droidboot
4. Select model number
5. Point to raw file and choose to erase data (accept the prompt )
6 Hit Start

What I also did prior to that was factory reset of tablet

hope that helps you

Reactions: bkkzak

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HARD BRICK NO MORE!!! Asus ZenPad S8.0 Fix

I made the sad retarded mistake in updating a manual zip file thru CMW... I know retarded... anyways this caused the tablet to Hard Brick bootloader only with very little options, you might even have your serial number showing up as all 1's.
    Usually this isn't a big deal sadly this tablet gets little to no love on the internet it seems... This is a guide to help anyone un-brick their tablet

Step 1. First this is more of a windows 10 issue than anything but some driver installs thru the Asus Flash Tool might fail.. something to do about Driver Certificates, so you'll want to disable that on your Win 10.. here a tutorial link for more youtube link HERE

Step 2. Installing the proper Drivers if you haven't already, which will all be in this zip folder HERE

Make sure you installed the ADB-Setup | Intel Android Drv Setup | Asus Android USB Drivers | Asus Flash Tool Installer 1.14

Step 3. Next you'll want to download the .raw file for the ZenPad can be found HERE

Step 4. Open your Asus Flash Tool Installer, boot up your device in the boot mode. (Hold Down the Volume Up + Power ) till you see a little android man with a hardhat.

Step 5. Plug in your device and you should see your device show up as shown HERE, next you'll want to select the model in the model drop down.... Z580C or Z580CA.. then select file. Now if it only lets you select zip thats okay. On the open file dialog box you'll see you can type in the file, simply type in the file path of the .raw file. Once you have that check on Erase Content which will erase all your internal content, and hit flash... let it run until the blue light on the program is green and has flashed succefully.

JCIWuDu.png

JldLaZP.png

LhKrIAY.png

Now you may still get on a bootloop when it restarts, if that happens simply again restart in boot loader screen and do a hard reset and you'll be good to go! Afterwards just throw that new Marshmallow update in the internal and restart .. and you'll device will ask if you want to update now u got your tablet back and Marshmallow!!! I hope this helps if you have any troubles with the links, images please feel free to let me know pm or reply to this post!!! Best of Luck!

.RAW File was provided by Portzebie! Thanks again bud!!
    Thanks again.

A few additional notes:

-to install the asus android drivers (not sure if it's even necessary but), open the ASUS_Android_USB_Drivers folder, then the android folder, then right click android_winusb.inf and select install.

A few additional notes:

-to install the asus android drivers (not sure if it's even necessar but), open the ASUS_Android_USB_Drivers folder, then the android folder, then right click android_winusb.inf and select install.

Thanks again, it worked like a charm.
    Thanks again.
    Step 5. Plug in your device and you should see your device show up as shown HERE, next you'll want to select the model in the model drop down.... Z580C or Z580CA.. then select file. Now if it only lets you select zip thats okay. On the open file dialog box you'll see you can type in the file, simply type in the file path of the .img file. Once you have that check on Erase Content which will erase all your internal content, and hit flash... let it run until the blue light on the program is green and has flashed succefully.

Thanks for the guide.

The link to your screenshot is missing.