Navigation Bar Burn In. Anyone else?

Is your navigation bar burnt into the display?

• Yes, it is

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • No, it's not

Votes: 85 81.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

ShooterLight

Mar 12, 2013
Received my Note 8 11 days ago and I was now looking at a gray picture in my gallery when I noticed the navbar was already burnt into the screen (and the buttons, too). It's barely noticeable, but can definitely be seen if you know what you're looking for.

I've now checked my Nexus 6P which I've been using for a bit more than a year before the Note 8 arrived and it also has the navbar burn-in, but it's as barely noticeable as the Note's one, and that's scary. 1 year of usage and it has the same burn-in as an 11-day old Note 8.

Now, the question is: Am I alone? :(

P.S: Download a gray image (I've attached one for you) and view it fullscreen with max brightness to test it.

Attachments

• Gray.jpg
    Gray.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 8,796

usmaak

Jan 29, 2011
I was really hoping that screen burn in was a thing of the past. My Note 4 had major burnin with the status bar at the top of the screen within the first year of owning it. It's ridiculous and one of the main things that makes me want to avoid OLED screens. LCD screens may be inferior to OLED in most ways, but at least you don't get burn in Burn in within a few days of ownership would have to be a record.

My phone is supposed to finally arrive on Monday. If this is a thing, then I'll just send it back. A lot of money to spend on a device with that flaw.

Tidbits

Mar 5, 2011
Pearl City
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Received my Note 8 11 days ago and I was now looking at a gray picture in my gallery when I noticed the navbar was already burnt into the screen (and the buttons, too). It's barely noticeable, but can definitely be seen if you know what you're looking for.

I've now checked my Nexus 6P which I've been using for a bit more than a year before the Note 8 arrived and it also has the navbar burn-in, but it's as barely noticeable as the Note's one, and that's scary. 1 year of usage and it has the same burn-in as an 11-day old Note 8.

Now, the question is: Am I alone? :(

P.S: Download a gray image (I've attached one for you) and view it fullscreen with max brightness to test it.
I don't see any burn in

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SiNJiN76

Sep 14, 2009
On my Note 4. It's only there if I go out of my way to look for it. I'm sure the Note 8 will be the same. If you snoop around for flaws, it's there on all phones.

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
I have Note 3 since 2013 , used it for over 3 yrs as my daily driver and honestly I have no idea what do you people talk about, there is absolutely nothing resembling burn in on that screen, do I need to add there is no burn in on my new Note 8 either? Come to think of it over the years I also had Galaxy S3, S5, S8 and never seen burn in on those either. I've seen burn in on LCD screens, I couldn't believe it, I don't know how, but I've seen it, however after years of use.
Isn't navbar supposed to disappear after a while, until you bring it up again, or OP locked it in?

marctronixx

Jul 18, 2007
what is the attachment supposed to show? im seeing this on a desktop computer and i don't see anything.

i took your poll. no screen burn in.

Kamikaze_Ice

Sep 20, 2017
OLEDs will always be subject to burn in due to how they work. Since each subpixel is for a SINGLE color, they will age differently because they're not all going to be on at the same time (ex: a pure red will not have green or blue subpixels active, so red would age faster than the other two if left on for days). The larger ones, usually blue, will need more voltage to excite it than the smaller ones (almost always green, as we see more of the green spectrum than blue--look at a CIE colorspace chart and you'll see very little "blue" compared to green). More voltage = faster aging.
This will NEVER be eliminated, and will always happen using current OLED technology (read: need alternative to currently used organic materials not subject to electric decay/aging).

HOWEVER, don't worry about this. For a user to actually introduce image burn in you will need to have your screen BRIGHT (250+ nits at least) AND have a STATIC IMAGE being shown for DAYS.

I'm 99% positive that any image burn in reports, that have NOT done the above, is not image burn in but Image Retention (aka image persistence).
Image Retention is TEMPORARY, and is mostly from electrical build up in display components and will go away once the build up has discharged (pixel is off for a while). On LG OLED HDTVs there is an option to "clear panel noise" which is what this does; don't know if other manufactures have a similar option available.
Alternatively you can add build up to improve screen uniformity by looking at a pure white screen for a few minutes. (google "jscreenfix" to see what I mean by colored noise. There is an old jscreenfix.jar file that's no longer hosted on their site for offline and full screen use. I don't know if it would work on androids as it was made back in Windows XP days).

Again, I'd like to put emphasis on the difference between "image burn in" and "image retention". At a glance they will look identical.
How Samsung has their "always on display" may make finding which you may have difficult. It's possible that the screen is still getting power even with the phone OFF depending on how the circuits and internal components draw power from the internal battery (read: OFF may be an extreme form of SLEEP where the absolute minimum of power is flowing through components if they used some more exotic designs for the sake of reliability).

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
The nav icons move although it's much more subtle than the AOD, just enough to prevent their burning in. It's a little image retention, rest easy tonight.

fabiowood

Jan 17, 2011
How to fix?

Mine there's a mark from waze report button so strong when the screen is white or more light.

Ryland Johnson

Feb 28, 2012
OLEDs will always be subject to burn in due to how they work. Since each subpixel is for a SINGLE color, they will age differently because they're not all going to be on at the same time (ex: a pure red will not have green or blue subpixels active, so red would age faster than the other two if left on for days). The larger ones, usually blue, will need more voltage to excite it than the smaller ones (almost always green, as we see more of the green spectrum than blue--look at a CIE colorspace chart and you'll see very little "blue" compared to green). More voltage = faster aging.
This will NEVER be eliminated, and will always happen using current OLED technology (read: need alternative to currently used organic materials not subject to electric decay/aging).

HOWEVER, don't worry about this. For a user to actually introduce image burn in you will need to have your screen BRIGHT (250+ nits at least) AND have a STATIC IMAGE being shown for DAYS.

I'm 99% positive that any image burn in reports, that have NOT done the above, is not image burn in but Image Retention (aka image persistence).
Image Retention is TEMPORARY, and is mostly from electrical build up in display components and will go away once the build up has discharged (pixel is off for a while). On LG OLED HDTVs there is an option to "clear panel noise" which is what this does; don't know if other manufactures have a similar option available.
Alternatively you can add build up to improve screen uniformity by looking at a pure white screen for a few minutes. (google "jscreenfix" to see what I mean by colored noise. There is an old jscreenfix.jar file that's no longer hosted on their site for offline and full screen use. I don't know if it would work on androids as it was made back in Windows XP days).

Again, I'd like to put emphasis on the difference between "image burn in" and "image retention". At a glance they will look identical.
How Samsung has their "always on display" may make finding which you may have difficult. It's possible that the screen is still getting power even with the phone OFF depending on how the circuits and internal components draw power from the internal battery (read: OFF may be an extreme form of SLEEP where the absolute minimum of power is flowing through components if they used some more exotic designs for the sake of reliability).

Indeed. Very well written post. Thank you for taking the time to write it. My understanding is the same as yours. When I just read the OP's post I thought oh hell here we go again.

Ryland

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not even gonna bite. If it's there, I don't want to know about it haha

I've been using an all black navigation bar overlay, and I'm now noticing some heavy burn-in. I find this a bit surprising, as I was under the impression that AMOLED displays are turned OFF where true black is present. Anyone have any insight they can share?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, when a pixel is true black (#000000) the pixel is actually turned off. Using a black nav bar causes uneven screen wear. The nav icons will burn in at the same rate as the rest of the display, which the nav bar background itself burns in much slower, leading to uneven wear.
    On my Note 4. It's only there if I go out of my way to look for it. I'm sure the Note 8 will be the same. If you snoop around for flaws, it's there on all phones.
    Not on mine. Been using since 9/6