[Fixed] [Bug] SMB shows "Can't play this link" if the passport has an "@" char

Search This thread

Yelleke

Jun 8, 2020
We apologise for the delayed response.
Could you please check if you can access the file after changing the password to alphanumeric (i.e. without any special characters)?

I have set my server password to 12345678
I could browse thru all directories and see every file
but when I try to open a MP4 file it says

Can't play this link

back to VLC from F-droid

MXPlayer

Nov 3, 2015
mx.j2inter.com
I have set my server password to 12345678
I could browse thru all directories and see every file
but when I try to open a MP4 file it says

Can't play this link

back to VLC from F-droid

Request you to update your app to 1.25.5 or newer and check again. This may fix your issues. If you are already using the same, please collect a bug report from the help menu quickly after noticing the problem and share with us through a private message so that we can assist you in a better manner.

MXPlayer

Nov 3, 2015
mx.j2inter.com
My device: Xiaomi MAX2 with MIUI9.5 (Android 7.1.1), SMB server is Win10 LTSC(opened smb1.x/cifs), In Version Pro 1.25.5, bug 1 & 3 fixed,
about bug 2: I have to keep the player running in the foreground to continue playing the next music. If I switch the player to the background, when the current music is played and automatically switched to the next music, it will can't play, now I switch back to foreground, the player prompt:"can't play this link", I click 'ok' to play.

Yes, you're right. I tried it again as you said: when playing the music on SMB, automatically switch is invalid, the next music button in the status bar is also invalid.

Could you please try this build and report back if it fixes your background playback issues?
MX Player Pro (arm64-v8a)
MX Player Pro (arm-v7a)
MX Player (arm64-v8a)
MX Player (arm-v7a)

Reactions: PillarsZhang

Yelleke

Jun 8, 2020
Request you to update your app to 1.25.5 or newer and check again. This may fix your issues. If you are already using the same, please collect a bug report from the help menu quickly after noticing the problem and share with us through a private message so that we can assist you in a better manner.

This test was done with the new (google drive) 1.25.5 version.
And as a new member on this board, I cant post report files or send them thru priv. message

MXPlayer

Nov 3, 2015
mx.j2inter.com
This test was done with the new (google drive) 1.25.5 version.
And as a new member on this board, I cant post report files or send them thru priv. message

Could you please confirm if you are using any custom codec? We have recently noticed that some of the users are using custom codec v1.24.0 with MX Player v1.25.0 by simply renaming it. We have also noticed that some pirated or modified versions of MX Player are also using the incompatible codecs. As MX Player 1.24.x doesn't have this fix, force loading it into 1.25.x can lead to such issues.

In case if you are using any custom codecs or a modified version of the app, please uninstall it and install the official builds from the following post and check again with default settings. If the problem persists, collect a bug report from the help menu quickly after reproducing the problem and share with us at support@mxplayer.in. Please don't forget to quote the link of this thread while sending the bug report. It will help us to assist you in a better manner.

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=83034299&postcount=24

Yelleke

Jun 8, 2020
Did some testing today on my Samsung S10e
everything is done over ethernet, no wifi or cellular
NAS password set to: "S3crEt'-#0O7% (for testing only)

reinstalled fresh firmware, with patched AP
Re-installed BeyondROM 6.8 (Love it) full data wipe

downloaded and upgraded all google crap and finish installation.

setup and hide Magisk

Installed Mx Player Pro from the "Don't be evil" store
connected to my NAS and played a mp4 and ...
-> network video plays

setup adaway, to block "telemetry" (aka spyware (what do apps sent, network passwords ???) 57320 domains blocked)
reboot phone
-> network video plays

install Afwall(Donate) and setup rules to block allmost everything grant Mx only LAN
reboot phone
-> network video plays

removed ethernet cable and setup my wifi and no ! on the wifi icon
-> network video plays over wifi

My nex step would be, DEBLOAT the useless crapp and install my fav apps
And I think this is the problem, we delete to much.

Because after the debloat, the ! on the wifi icon appears and... can't play this link, kicks in
Now I have to find what I deleted wich caused this wifi ! to show up

my guess:
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 'com.samsung.android.server.wifi.mobilewips.client'
the one thats connect to gooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle.com and google.onion

My conclusion: can't play this link is a USER error/fault.
Now, where are those xxx movies located on my NAS

RashiMrBRD

Mar 2, 2020
Failed to Resolve the Host

Hi I'm using MX player pro 1.26.7 armv7a Android (Q). I don't know what happen but I suddenly having troubled connecting with local network via the app, it seems fine when I'm using es file explorer nor mixplorer to play any videos with mx player

ybpuFhJMggGAhEbd8

silverag123

Mar 28, 2021
I just stumbled to this thread after posting my post about this problem (sorry for not seeing it before :( ) - but I must say that this problem is still present in latest version of free (non-pro) MX Player for Android TV on Google playstore - 1.34.5 (ARMv7 NEON) .

I don't use any special character in username nor in password - only letters and numbers - but in latest MX Player version for Android TV, I can't play anything from my Windows shared folder. I see all files from shared folders in MX Player (it read filenames from shared folder fine and without problems) but as soon as I select anything to play, it fails with "Can't play this link". The same files MX Player plays well in internal storage - so it is not due to file format.. It is something with reading content of files from shared folder.

Also, same files from the same share VLC plays fine... But I don't like VLC due to various problems I have with it (audio delays etc.). MX Player is my favorite - but I need ability to play files from network share... :(

As I note in the beginning of post, I am using latest version from of MX Player for Android TV on Google playstore - 1.34.5 (ARMv7 NEON) - standard (non-pro) version that can be run on Android TV stick/box etc.

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
I just stumbled to this thread after posting my post about this problem (sorry for not seeing it before :( ) - but I must say that this problem is still present in latest version of free (non-pro) MX Player for Android TV on Google playstore - 1.34.5 (ARMv7 NEON) .

I don't use any special character in username nor in password - only letters and numbers - but in latest MX Player version for Android TV, I can't play anything from my Windows shared folder. I see all files from shared folders in MX Player (it read filenames from shared folder fine and without problems) but as soon as I select anything to play, it fails with "Can't play this link". The same files MX Player plays well in internal storage - so it is not due to file format.. It is something with reading content of files from shared folder.

Also, same files from the same share VLC plays fine... But I don't like VLC due to various problems I have with it (audio delays etc.). MX Player is my favorite - but I need ability to play files from network share... :(

As I note in the beginning of post, I am using latest version from of MX Player for Android TV on Google playstore - 1.34.5 (ARMv7 NEON) - standard (non-pro) version that can be run on Android TV stick/box etc.

Can you please try MX Player 1.35 and let us know if it fixes your problems? In case if it's not yet appearing on your device, you can grab the APK from https://mx.j2inter.com/download and install it manually.

silverag123

Mar 28, 2021
I downloaded from your site and installed PlayerAd-neon-market-vc1310001343-vn1.35.3-0.apk (version compatible with my Mi TV stick). And problem is still the same. :(

I must note that there are no special characters anywhere - I am using only numbers and letters in username, password, folder and file names... But it still won't work in latest 1.35.3.

:(

abubasim

Sorry but I am happy with version 1.25.5 at the moment and a bit busy with other stuff so I can't update to the latest version, reproduce the problem and then uninstall and install the old version again.
A quick update on my old post: the problem only affects my Sony Z4 tablet still running Android 6.0.1. There I need to stick to version 1.25.5.
The latest version of MX Player available from the Play Store is able to authenticate with my NAS without problems when installed on my Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite running MIUI 11.0.3 (Android 9).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i have met the same problem while use smbv3 and the username have an "@".

smbv2 works well in most situtation expect the filename are not simple.
    I think mx player dev should implement more advance smb v2 + support

We would like to let you know that MX Player already supports SMBv2+. In case if you are facing any issues, please collect a bug report quickly after reproducing the issues and share with us. It will help us to investigate further.

i have met the same problem while use smbv3 and the username have an "@".

smbv2 works well in most situtation expect the filename are not simple.

Thanks for bringing this into our notice. We have escalated this with our relevant team and will do our best to get it resolved at the earliest. Meanwhile, your patience is appreciated.
    [BUG Report]About Local Network function

Thank you for MX player, I found 4 bugs in SMB(Local Network) function:

1. In versions after 1.24.4 (excluding 1.24.4), When I add my SMB server in "Local Network", If the username or password contains special characters (such as $), you can browse smb files but can't play it, and the prompt:"can't play this link".

2. In all versions with smb (including 1.24.4), When playing music in the SMB, if the mx player is switched to the background, when the current music is played and auto switched to the next music, it will can't play, and the prompt:"can't play this link".

3. In version 1.24.5 pro, I added an smb server in "Local Network", When I leave the "Local Network" or close the mx player pro, and then enter the "Local Network", the added SMB server will disappear.

4. On the Android TV platform, the left sidebar is automatically hidden, so I can't access the "Local Network".
    @PillarsZhang @il1707 @Suar99 @powerxing
    We have released a quick update that addresses your issues. Could you please update your MX Player to 1.25.5 and check again? In case if the update is not yet showing up for you, you can also download the same from our website http://apps.mxplayer.in/download or http://mx.j2inter.com/download and install manually.
    Thanks a lot. I just downloaded and tested it. The problem (char "@") has been fixed well. :eek:
    Waiting for the pro version.

Thanks for the heads up :)
    We have updated the pro version download links. Please check again now.