[Pure Edition][Root] Superboot style root for MotoX 2014 Pure Edition

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Follow directions, do NOT flash this image. Flashing the image will bootloop you (easily fixed by flashing proper boot.img). You must only BOOT this image. Again DO NOT FLASH IT, I won't help you out of any mess you get yourself into with this.

Unlock your device with Motorola's site
Boot Image
Device will boot up, install su and quickly reboot.
Then install Chainfire's SuperSU from the Play Store

unzip pure2014sb.zip
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot pure2014sb.img

Attachments

• pure2014sb.zip
    7.5 MB · Views: 23,954
Last edited:

TBayTom

Mar 17, 2011
Orlando
Does this wipe your phone data at all? My phone data was completely wiped when I unlocked the bootloader, so I want to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Ziuck

Feb 15, 2011
Can you send that info my way too please? I've unlocked my bootloader but not sure where to go from here...

Last edited:

bostonirishguy13

Mar 17, 2008
Boston
From Droidviews: http://www.droidviews.com/root-motox-2014-pure-edition-with-superboot/

Prerequisites
A Moto X 2014 with unlocked bootloader. You can unlock the bootloader by following the instructions given at Motorola official page.
Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer or download the minimal ADB and fastboot tool from here (unzip it).
Install Motorola USB Drivers on your computer.
Download the modified boot image by jcase: pure2014sb.zip
Open Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your device.

Root MotoX 2014 Pure Edition with Superboot
Having taken care of the prerequisites mentioned above, you can now proceed to root your Moto X 2014. Just follow the steps given below.

1. Extract the pure2014sb.zip file and copy the pure2014sb.img file into the platform-tools folder (in case you have Android SDK installed) or copy the files into the mfastboot v2 folder.

2. While the folder with ADB and fastboot files is open, right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd.

3. Connect your Moto X 2014 to computer using a USB cable.

4. Now type the following command in the cmd window and press the Enter key:
adb reboot bootloader

5. Your phone will reboot into the Fastboot mode.

6. Then issue the following command:

7. When the phone boots up, install su and quickly reboot it.

8. When the device boots up again, go to Google Play store and install the SuperUser app.

iNiREALiZED

Apr 15, 2012
Motorola site says my phone is not elgible for unlocked bootloader. Have Tmo pure edition 2014 Moto X. Any ideas?

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
So for the rest of us that got a carrier phone (not the pure edition) -
I got the ATT one with all the bloat on it. I'd really like to get rid of that crap.
Is there some way I could flash one of the factory gsm images here? via the stock recovery or via adb?
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/recovery-images

As of now, no you cant. ATT may or may not (probably not) get a bootloader unlock. It probably will eventually get root though, and when it does you can use a root app to uninstall those system apps from ATT. No guarantee the phone will work properly after you get rid of them though, it is possible that some OS modifications rely on parts of those apps.

Reactions: cpolly69

cpolly69

Jan 23, 2013
yeah i pretty much can't wait until i get root access -
i'm pretty confident killing the att bloat isn't going to affect the it- i disabled every one of their apps within 10 minutes of having the phone...
i just wish i could load up ti backup and get rid of them...

jonata

Jul 14, 2007
Casette d'Ete
From Droidviews: http://www.droidviews.com/root-motox-2014-pure-edition-with-superboot/

Prerequisites
A Moto X 2014 with unlocked bootloader. You can unlock the bootloader by following the instructions given at Motorola official page.
Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer or download the minimal ADB and fastboot tool from here (unzip it).

Having taken care of the prerequisites mentioned above, you can now proceed to root your Moto X 2014. Just follow the steps given below.

1. Extract the pure2014sb.zip file and copy the pure2014sb.img file into the platform-tools folder (in case you have Android SDK installed) or copy the files into the mfastboot v2 folder.

2. While the folder with ADB and fastboot files is open, right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd.

adb reboot bootloader

8. When the device boots up again, go to Google Play store and install the SuperUser app.
what mean's :
7. When the phone boots up, install su and quickly reboot it
install su = superSU apk ?
thanks for help

sailindawg

May 13, 2012
I would think the su files are in the img file that was previously flashed in an earlier step. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Follow directions, do NOT flash this image. Flashing the image will bootloop you (easily fixed by flashing proper boot.img). You must only BOOT this image. Again DO NOT FLASH IT, I won't help you out of any mess you get yourself into with this.

Unlock your device with Motorola's site
    Boot Image
    Device will boot up, install su and quickly reboot.
    Then install Chainfire's SuperSU from the Play Store

unzip pure2014sb.zip
    adb reboot bootloader

Prerequisites

adb reboot bootloader

Running up in Moto X Retail BR, Tks
    what mean's :
    7. When the phone boots up, install su and quickly reboot it
    install su = superSU apk ?
    thanks for help

This 7th step is automatic. The phone will boot and install su files and quickly reboot after that.
    Once it boots up, go to the store and download SuperSU.
    I booted the file on my XT1092. Now its stuck booting?! I didn't flash it tough. PLEASE HELP SOMEONE!

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

So how to fix the bootloop?
    You will have to flash a complete stock rom to fix it. This root method is for 4.4.4 kitkat. It cannot be used for lollipop nor marshmallow.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk