Help - can't flash anything!

Search This thread

Amo5

Nov 27, 2014
Hello, well i have SGH-I777 and about a week ago the phone frezee so i turn it off and when i turned it on its just stuck on "Samsung galaxy" logo and i can not go in recovery mode.
Because i can go just into Download mode i tried to flash rom with Odin but idk what went worng now i have this message:
firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select recovery mode in kies & try again.
I still can go to Download mode and use Odin but i tried to flash 4 (!) diffrenet "stock rom" but everyone of them wont work and the proccess stoped in the middle(factoryfs.img or sbl.bin or setupconnection or NAND Write Start!!)
So i give up and ask for help here! please what should i do and what im doing worng?
I download the stock rom from here and galaxys2root and some other places and nothing work everything stuck at some point..

HELP PLEASE! How can i fix this problem? and which rom i shold have after this (i had CM 10.1.3 and he have some problems and crash from time to time) is there any other better rom?
Thank you so much!

StoneyJSG

Jul 28, 2014
Hello, well i have SGH-I777 and about a week ago the phone frezee so i turn it off and when i turned it on its just stuck on "Samsung galaxy" logo and i can not go in recovery mode.
Because i can go just into Download mode i tried to flash rom with Odin but idk what went worng now i have this message:
firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select recovery mode in kies & try again.
I still can go to Download mode and use Odin but i tried to flash 4 (!) diffrenet "stock rom" but everyone of them wont work and the proccess stoped in the middle(factoryfs.img or sbl.bin or setupconnection or NAND Write Start!!)
So i give up and ask for help here! please what should i do and what im doing worng?
I download the stock rom from here and galaxys2root and some other places and nothing work everything stuck at some point..

HELP PLEASE! How can i fix this problem? and which rom i shold have after this (i had CM 10.1.3 and he have some problems and crash from time to time) is there any other better rom?
Thank you so much!

Your phone seems to be soft bricked. Are the stock roms you downloaded .tar files or .md5 files? If they are .zip files or .rar files, uncompress them with 7zip. Did you put them in the PDA slot in ODIN?

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
@Amo5,

Sorry to be so late to answer your question, but I have been traveling out of town for the holiday.

Go to the Download Repository and get the latest stock distribution, I777UCMD8 Stock Binaries (Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean). Enter download mode and flash that, and see if the flash will complete. If the flash completes, but the phone does not boot past the splash screen, enter recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset.

If the flash is not successful, your phone may have nand read/write corruption, so post back here with the results of the above, and I will post the instructions for clearing nand r/w corruption.

Amo5

Nov 27, 2014
Your phone seems to be soft bricked. Are the stock roms you downloaded .tar files or .md5 files? If they are .zip files or .rar files, uncompress them with 7zip. Did you put them in the PDA slot in ODIN?
Thank you for your answer, I already understood this soft brick and I downloaded of coruse the .tar files and I put them in the PDA slot in ODIN.
@Amo5,

Sorry to be so late to answer your question, but I have been traveling out of town for the holiday.

Go to the Download Repository and get the latest stock distribution, I777UCMD8 Stock Binaries (Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean). Enter download mode and flash that, and see if the flash will complete. If the flash completes, but the phone does not boot past the splash screen, enter recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset.

If the flash is not successful, your phone may have nand read/write corruption, so post back here with the results of the above, and I will post the instructions for clearing nand r/w corruption.
Thank you so much for your answer, you have nothing to be sorry about :)
I download the file from here like you said and the flash stuck again at SBL1.bin , anyway i can't go in recovery mode.
So it is nand read/write corruption like you said? what should i do now?
Thanks again both!

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Thanks again both!

The problem MAY be NAND read/write corruption. It is also possible that you have a bad or flaky connection between the phone and the computer. Sometimes failed flash is due to USB cable or micro USB connector on the phone, or you may need to use a different USB port on the computer, or even another computer. If the problem is NAND read/write corruption, then the following should clear it.

Instructions to clear nand read/write corruption. Instructions are specific; do them in order, and don't skip.

Odin3 v1.85 is recommended.

1) Download the Tar version of Siyah 2.6.14 Kernel. Flash it in PDA. Without ticking Re-Partitioning

2) Flash the Tar.md5 of the full stock Gingerbread distribution from the Download Repository, I777UCKH7 including the bootloaders and everything, in the PDA slot.

3) If that is successful you are done. If it is not, then:

4) Download the SBL Bootloader from the Download Repository. Flash it as PDA in ODIN, without ticking Re-Partitioning. (Please observe normal bootloader flashing caution.)

5) Flash the Kernel, as in step 1.

6) Flash the full stock Gingerbread distribution, as in step 2.

Amo5

Nov 27, 2014
The problem MAY be NAND read/write corruption. It is also possible that you have a bad or flaky connection between the phone and the computer. Sometimes failed flash is due to USB cable or micro USB connector on the phone, or you may need to use a different USB port on the computer, or even another computer. If the problem is NAND read/write corruption, then the following should clear it.

Instructions to clear nand read/write corruption. Instructions are specific; do them in order, and don't skip.

1) Download the Tar version of Siyah 2.6.14 Kernel. Flash it in PDA. Without ticking Re-Partitioning

2) Flash the Tar.md5 of the full stock Gingerbread distribution from the Download Repository, I777UCKH7 including the bootloaders and everything, in the PDA slot.

4) Download the SBL Bootloader from the Download Repository. Flash it as PDA in ODIN, without ticking Re-Partitioning. (Please observe normal bootloader flashing caution.)

Thank you again, the Siyah 2.6.14 Kernel doesnt work, its stuck also at NAND Write Start!!
I tried also the full stock and its doesnt work also, about the SBL Bootloader i cant find the download there colud you give me the direct link? i get confused with all the links and descriptions there.

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Thank you again, the Siyah 2.6.14 Kernel doesnt work, its stuck also at NAND Write Start!!
I tried also the full stock and its doesnt work also, about the SBL Bootloader i cant find the download there colud you give me the direct link? i get confused with all the links and descriptions there.

The I777 SBL is the very first item in the Download Repository.

Reactions: cyril279

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Its also stuck at NAND Write Start!! part, why nothing is working?

I would first suspect a problem with the connection. As I wrote previously:

Try different cables. Try different USB port on the computer. If you can get access to a different computer, try flashing from that. That will be a good start to troubleshooting this issue.

Amo5

Nov 27, 2014

Try different cables. Try different USB port on the computer. If you can get access to a different computer, try flashing from that. That will be a good start to troubleshooting this issue.
I tried a diffrenets USB cables and USB port, next setp is another computer? and what if it doesnt work?
TY again for all the help!

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
I tried a diffrenets USB cables and USB port, next setp is another computer? and what if it doesnt work?

In 99.9% of cases (I'm not going to say it's an absolute, but nearly so), when the phone can go into download mode it can be flashed. I'm not sure I know all the possible factors that would interfere with a flash, but the connection between the phone and the computer probably accounts for the vast majority of cases.

Have you ever had any problems with the USB port on the phone? You might try cleaning it with alcohol, not 80% as it has too much water in it, at least 90% or better.

Another thing you could try is flashing it using Heimdall from the command line instead of using Odin.

Amo5

Nov 27, 2014
In 99.9% of cases (I'm not going to say it's an absolute, but nearly so), when the phone can go into download mode it can be flashed. I'm not sure I know all the possible factors that would interfere with a flash, but the connection between the phone and the computer probably accounts for the vast majority of cases.

Have you ever had any problems with the USB port on the phone? You might try cleaning it with alcohol, not 80% as it has too much water in it, at least 90% or better.

Another thing you could try is flashing it using Heimdall from the command line instead of using Odin.

sorry for my late answer, i have been away for the last week.
I just tried diffrenet latptop and again with my PC and same result still stuck at NAND Write Start or SBL1 its depened at the file im trying to flash(stock/kernel/sbl)
of coruse I tried different USB cables and even micro USB.
what next? :(

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
sorry for my late answer, i have been away for the last week.
I just tried diffrenet latptop and again with my PC and same result still stuck at NAND Write Start or SBL1 its depened at the file im trying to flash(stock/kernel/sbl)
of coruse I tried different USB cables and even micro USB.
what next? :(

There is little else I can add to help find a solution to your issue. I've already covered pretty much what I know about the SGH-I777 with respect to your issues.

Even though you have been unable to flash with the things you have tried so far, it still may flash for you if you keep working with it. I have seen users report in the forums here that they were able to get a successful flash on the xth try (I don't remember, 5th, 10th, 15th?)

It could possibly be an issue with your micro usb port on the phone? What have you done to trouble shoot that?

There are some things that could cause the reported behavior that are not related to the connection between the phone and the computer. I have seen one or two reports of actual memory module damage that would allow the phone to boot, but not to function correctly. In such a case, the damage is in a non-critical area of the memory.

If you live near an AT&T service center (not a store), you might take the phone in to the technicians there and ask if they can help you out. I know the phone is rather old and out of warranty, but they still might help.

You could send the phone to Samsung for repair. There will be a charge. I think you could determine how much by calling them ahead of time.

Reactions: SteveMurphy

Amo5

Nov 27, 2014
There is little else I can add to help find a solution to your issue. I've already covered pretty much what I know about the SGH-I777 with respect to your issues.

Even though you have been unable to flash with the things you have tried so far, it still may flash for you if you keep working with it. I have seen users report in the forums here that they were able to get a successful flash on the xth try (I don't remember, 5th, 10th, 15th?)

It could possibly be an issue with your micro usb port on the phone? What have you done to trouble shoot that?

There are some things that could cause the reported behavior that are not related to the connection between the phone and the computer. I have seen one or two reports of actual memory module damage that would allow the phone to boot, but not to function correctly. In such a case, the damage is in a non-critical area of the memory.

If you live near an AT&T service center (not a store), you might take the phone in to the technicians there and ask if they can help you out. I know the phone is rather old and out of warranty, but they still might help.

You could send the phone to Samsung for repair. There will be a charge. I think you could determine how much by calling them ahead of time.
Well my counter is about 25 now and many times the flash isnt count..
I living in country without AT&T service so i guess i send the phone to some lab or something..
About the connection between the phone and the computer i had troubles with it in the past so i just move to "Wifi file transfer" so i dont know if the problem still relavent, anyway i checked it in 2 differents computers and many USB cables.
SO what you saying is keep trying OR send it to some lab?
thanks again for all your help buddy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks again both!

@Amo5,

Its also stuck at NAND Write Start!! part, why nothing is working?

The I777 SBL is the very first item in the Download Repository.