[FIX] Screen Lift & Washed Out Screen

Search This thread

sharp2G

Nov 8, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
From my Nexus 7 RMA units, I still found these issues, so with the help of the XDA community I took matters into my own hands.

Screen Lift & LCD Ripples

1. Power off your Nexus 7
2. Open the back cover (I used a credit card)
3. Since the screen lift issue is on the left hand side, remove all the screws (5 silver 1 black on the bottom left if you can [I couldn't]) on the left hand side
4. Using a blow dryer, warm up the entire left back hand side while gently applying pressure for about 2-3 minutes.
5. Flip your Nexus 7 so it is facing you (camera side up) and once again apply pressure from the top to bottom.
6. Re-screw
7. Put back cover on

***NOTE*** By fixing the screen separation it appears you also prevent LCD screen rippling on the left hand side, as well as screen creaking Coolio! :high five:

Credit goes out to Thoram for finding this

Washed out Screen after Watching Full Screen Videos [NEED ROOT]

1. Download Script Manager from the Play Store
2. Download https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd6ucv4spwn5u1n/SmartDimmer-OFF.sh and save to SD card
3. Allow Script Manager SU privileges
4. Go to where you saved the ".sh" script and highlight "Su" and "Boot" then click "Save" and "Exit"
5. Restart your device

***NOTE*** Upon boot up you should see that "Smanager ads have been granted SU privileges...." That's how you know your script has been applied on boot up.

Credit goes out to Metallice for finding this

Last edited:

eager27

Jul 20, 2012
re - the screen lift fix above:

this makes no difference to my screen lift or creaky screen. Neither did it on the unit that I RMA'd last week. Nor changing screw tension and/ or clamping.

the only thing that did make a difference was the washer/ shim method, but that only stopped the creaking, not the lift.

miketoasty

Sep 13, 2010
Just a note for the screen wash out, if you apply this fix you will notice decreased battery life while watching videos. Just figured I mention.

Reactions: GrkEngineer

sharp2G

Nov 8, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
re - the screen lift fix above:

this makes no difference to my screen lift or creaky screen. Neither did it on the unit that I RMA'd last week. Nor changing screw tension and/ or clamping.

the only thing that did make a difference was the washer/ shim method, but that only stopped the creaking, not the lift.

I guess the only reasonable assumption is that screen lifting is a it different for everyone. when I opened it up all my screws were tight, buy after applying this fix I no longer have screen lifting or creaking or LCD ripples.

jutley

Mar 23, 2006
UK
Do google even know about the screen washed out problem why don't they release a ota fix?

sharp2G

Nov 8, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Do google even know about the screen washed out problem why don't they release a ota fix?

well apparently it has to do with nvidia drivers so calling Google and harassing them about nvidia is the best you could probably do. without doubt Google and nvidia will do something, but not for a while in my opinion. so when someone asks you why you would root a stock jelly bean device, well this is why. I love the fixes found on xda!

Sent from my HTC One X

saadi703

Jan 26, 2007
Thanks a lot the script for the screen washed out problem has worked flawlessly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

hyperdude111

Sep 1, 2010
How long ago did you apply the screen lift fix? I tried the other fix and it only lasted for a few hours before lifting again.

sharp2G

Nov 8, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Last edited:

peestandingup

Nov 10, 2009
Wow, thanks for the script! It did wonders on the colors & brightness just in general (without playing a video or anything).

I wonder why Google doesn't push this out asap? Seems like such an easy fix.

bsw11

Aug 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
alphabase.com
Thanks for this script. I applied it and noticed a difference, but in comparing the image to my G-Note screen, there is still a major difference between the 2 mainly in the brillance of colors.

Can anyone else verify that is the case or not?

If so, will another image processing tweak like the Bravia help or is the Samsung a better panel?

Saenzscene

Jun 30, 2011
El Paso
Thanks for this script. I applied it and noticed a difference, but in comparing the image to my G-Note screen, there is still a major difference between the 2 mainly in the brillance of colors.

Can anyone else verify that is the case or not?

If so, will another image processing tweak like the Bravia help or is the Samsung a better panel?

I'm pretty sure its due to the super amoled display. The colors are saturated so they will look way brighter. I use a one x and the colors are brighter there to but I have yet to root and try this script. Looking forward to trying it out. Still love the display though.

Sent from my Nexus 7

parmend

Apr 11, 2010
Fort Worth
Do you think Google will fix the washed out colors via ota ? I keep hearing from people that there coming out with new screens but you would think it could be fixed through software .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From my Nexus 7 RMA units, I still found these issues, so with the help of the XDA community I took matters into my own hands.

Screen Lift & LCD Ripples

1. Power off your Nexus 7
    2. Open the back cover (I used a credit card)
    3. Since the screen lift issue is on the left hand side, remove all the screws (5 silver 1 black on the bottom left if you can [I couldn't]) on the left hand side
    4. Using a blow dryer, warm up the entire left back hand side while gently applying pressure for about 2-3 minutes.
    5. Flip your Nexus 7 so it is facing you (camera side up) and once again apply pressure from the top to bottom.
    6. Re-screw
    7. Put back cover on

***NOTE*** By fixing the screen separation it appears you also prevent LCD screen rippling on the left hand side, as well as screen creaking Coolio! :high five:

Credit goes out to Thoram for finding this

Washed out Screen after Watching Full Screen Videos [NEED ROOT]

1. Download Script Manager from the Play Store
    2. Download https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd6ucv4spwn5u1n/SmartDimmer-OFF.sh and save to SD card
    3. Allow Script Manager SU privileges
    4. Go to where you saved the ".sh" script and highlight "Su" and "Boot" then click "Save" and "Exit"
    5. Restart your device

***NOTE*** Upon boot up you should see that "Smanager ads have been granted SU privileges...." That's how you know your script has been applied on boot up.

Credit goes out to Metallice for finding this
    Just a note for the screen wash out, if you apply this fix you will notice decreased battery life while watching videos. Just figured I mention.