[Q] How can I get vibration working again?

Search This thread

GA_Android

Feb 19, 2015
Since I rooted and installed successfully, several different ROMs, I am at a loss as to why vibration functionality is no longer working.
The only thing I did not do was restore to my original back up since a dev friend of mine wiped it out! Any insights are welcome and thanks in advance.
AT&T HTC One M8
Currently running 5.0.1 Lollipop on a version of 3.4.0 Kernel.
I am not a developer and am new to this whole thing. I figured the easiest thing to do it to share my ABOUT screen. Again, everything is working EXCEPT for the vibration.

If there is any other info which could help, please ask and I will do my best to get the info to you ASAP.

15%2B-%2B1

GA_Android

Feb 19, 2015
No, I don't think so. It was working fine until I raised and installed a new ROM. I had received 4.4.4 OTA and still it worked, but one I installed what appears to be GPE 5.0.1 I have not been able to get it working.
I am trying to troubleshoot, but the software methid I know for this will not work. I'm wondering if theme is a way to issue a command via adb which would ensure it should be working to verify if it is invest hard are related or not.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Since I rooted and installed successfully, several different ROMs, I am at a loss as to why vibration functionality is no longer working.
The only thing I did not do was restore to my original back up since a dev friend of mine wiped it out! Any insights are welcome and thanks in ]

"The only thing" you did not do? Are you sure? Did you try to revert to stock 4.4.4? Did you RUU? Did you update the firmware?

Instead of saying what you "didn't" do, its much more helpful to fully describe what you did do. Just mentioning that you tried "several different ROMs" without specifying which ones, doesn't help us much to help you.

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

but one I installed what appears to be GPE 5.0.1 I have not been able to get it working.

Need to be specific on what ROM, or how you got to GPE. Otherwise, its hard to help.

S-off or s-on?

Did you do a RUU conversion to GPE?

GA_Android

Feb 19, 2015
ROM Lollipop 5.0.1 LRX22C
All I did was flash the boot.img and it does appears I'm on GPE but not sure how or why.
S on

I had been on stock 4.4.4 OTA and did a complete backup using TWRP but that got wiped out.
Ive tired to find a way back to 4.4.4 just to troubleshoot, but have been unsuccessful.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. This situation was handed to me.

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
ROM Lollipop 5.0.1 LRX22C
All I did was flash the boot.img and it does appears I'm on GPE but not sure how or why.

Its not clear whether that is a stock ROM, or custom, or where it came from.

You just flashed boot.img? How about the rest of the ROM?

Ive tired to find a way back to 4.4.4 just to troubleshoot, but have been unsuccessful.

Relock the bootloader with the command: fastboot oem lock

Then download and run the official 4.4.4 RUU (with phone connected to PC): http://dl3.htc.com/application/RUU_M8_UL_K444_SENSE60_ATT_MR_Cingular_US_3.42.502.1_Radio_4.0.U606061@41216A_40.34.C35006.02_F_release_407726_signed_2.exe

RUU will wipe the phone. So backup any important personal data before RUU.

GA_Android

Feb 19, 2015
Sorry. I was trying to reply from my phone during a meeting. I should have known better

The goal was to get on a version of lollipop GPE.
I installed TWRP, created a backup.
Backed up all others details to my PC
Found what I thought was a compatible stock lollipop GPE ROM
Flashed the boot.img via adb
Then I used TWRP to wipe/factory reset
Then flashed the ROM from bootloader>recovery>TWRP.
The ROM came from this site.

After that install, I noticed the issue with no vibration. Looked all over for info or others with the same issue, but no luck.
A developer friend was helping troubleshoot that problem and he totally wiped the phone including my backup of stock 4.4.4 OTA, so restore was no longer possible. (Side note: The look on his face when I explained that he just wiped away the backups was PRICELESS. He was horrified!)
He then attempted to do some firmware flashes etc... soft bricked the phone so I took over from there.

Since then, I have been able to get back to the working stock Lollipop 5.0.1 GPE, (all working except vibration) and also tried 5.0.1 SkyDragon 39.0 WWE with the same no vibe issue, so currently I am restored back to the stock Lollipop 5.0.1 GPE
Anything older I have tried, I get no phone service or not SIM detected. I have tired various firmwares etc, to remedy from there, still no dice.

Barring any further insight, I'll try your suggestion. I really appreciate your input and the links. Thanks a bunch.
Regarding your suggestion, if I relock the bootloader, how would I unlock it again? Same process via HTCdev?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I suggest never asking that friend for help again! lol
In particular, wiping something from the phone without knowing what he was wiping is a n00b mistake, and not usually something someone with any experience would do.

Regarding your suggestion, if I relock the bootloader, how would I unlock it again? Same process via HTCdev?

Sometimes you can just fastboot the old token again. But if that doesn't work, then yes just go through the process again on HTCDev.com to request a new token.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Its not normally required to flash boot.img separately on this device. In fact, when you flashed the ROM, you over-wrote the boot.img that you flashed manually, anyway.

Not sure what stock GPE LP ROM you are referring to (and I know you can't link yet with <10 posts). But at least for LP Sense ROMs like Skydragon 39, its required to have the LP firmware otherwise you are going to have some bugs. For GPE ROMs, you need to refer to the specific ROM thread to see what firmware is required.

Last edited:
Reactions: GA_Android

GA_Android

Feb 19, 2015
Its not clear whether that is a stock ROM, or custom, or where it came from.

You just flashed boot.img? How about the rest of the ROM?

Relock the bootloader with the command: fastboot oem lock

Then download and run the official 4.4.4 RUU (with phone connected to PC): http://dl3.htc.com/application/RUU_M8_UL_K444_SENSE60_ATT_MR_Cingular_US_3.42.502.1_Radio_4.0.U606061@41216A_40.34.C35006.02_F_release_407726_signed_2.exe

RUU will wipe the phone. So backup any important personal data before RUU.

In particular, wiping something from the phone without knowing what he was wiping is a n00b mistake, and not usually something someone with any experience would do.

Sometimes you can just fastboot the old token again. But if that doesn't work, then yes just go through the process again on HTCDev.com to request a new token.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Its not normally required to flash boot.img separately on this device. In fact, when you flashed the ROM, you over-wrote the boot.img that you flashed manually, anyway.

Not sure what stock GPE LP ROM you are referring to (and I know you can't link yet with <10 posts). But at least for LP Sense ROMs like Skydragon 39, its required to have the LP firmware otherwise you are going to have some bugs. For GPE ROMs, you need to refer to the specific ROM thread to see what firmware is required.

Thanks for helping. I got it all back to stock and still, the problems persists so I called AT&T advanced support and they are replacing it. I will be back soon as I plan to root my new phone when I get it AND I plan play around with my Galaxy Tab 10.1!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Maybe it's an actual hardware issue.

Meaning you used RUU?

Yes. I locked bootloader and used the RUU and vibration is still dead. So clearly it was no software issue. JUst very unhappy coincidence of timing with the ROM installs and a hardware failure.
    Replacement on the way.