External DAC

Search This thread

billy_boolean

Sep 6, 2008
Lüttich
Hi Guys,

Let's talk about the external DAC.
Afordable, or not...

I don't want to use wireless solution for several reason but this is not the point here.

My favorite :
Ibasso DC01
Unfirtunatielly not compatible with Samsung Galaxy devices. Wiring of the USB-C connector is not fully respected by Samsung.
Some says that it will work on some European devices (Exynos).

It will be soon available as unbalanced under reference ibasso DC02.
Same issue ?

Sonata HD cable II
Review here
I've read everything and anything on this one. I don't know what to think about it. More over it's unbalanced.
Clone from Tempotec
http://www.tempotec.com.cn/en/2-Product/Sonata/SonataHD/index.htm

Last edited:

jawis

Aug 7, 2005
external DAC

I have the Ibasso DAC and will be disappointed if this will not work with the Note 10. I have the Sonata and the Cozoy as well so will be trying them on the N10+ too. I prefer to use the iBasso for the Balanced connection. Does this mean it doesn't work with the Note9? My wife has this phone. I will try the Ibasso on that tonight.

jawis

Aug 7, 2005
USB Dac

Hi Guys,

My favorite :
Ibasso DC01
Unfirtunatielly not compatible with Samsung Galaxy devices. Wiring of the USB-C connector is not fully respected by Samsung.

Review here
I've read everything and anything on this one. I don't know what to think about it. More over it's unbalanced.

I just tried the Ibasso DC-01 with my wife's Note9 (Qualcomm CPU). I have used it with PowerAmp and Tidal and it seems to be working fine.
Can I clarify that the Ibasso has not been working with Samsung phones or just with the Note 10?
I have ordered the Note 10+, but have assumed that the Ibasso will work with the N10+ as well.

billy_boolean

Sep 6, 2008
Lüttich
I just tried the Ibasso DC-01 with my wife's Note9 (Qualcomm CPU). I have used it with PowerAmp and Tidal and it seems to be working fine.
Can I clarify that the Ibasso has not been working with Samsung phones or just with the Note 10?
I have ordered the Note 10+, but have assumed that the Ibasso will work with the N10+ as well.

It seems that they have issue with S9 S10 N9 and N10.
Not all devices are impacted.
See attachment.

Regarding ibasso, a French test website said to have had the problem with 50% of devices. Including S9 S10 and Note9.
Samsun was able to solve the problem via software for other DACs, but they can not do it for ibasso.
This French website advice to test the ibasso before buying.

Attachments

• ibasso.JPG
    ibasso.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 840
Last edited:
Reactions: jawis

jawis

Aug 7, 2005
Dac amps

I came across this usb dac by Dunu at a hifi show recently. Looks similar to the Ibasso, but was unbalanced. I did not catch the model number. I think it will be released soon as well

Attachments

• IMG_20190811_141302.jpg
    IMG_20190811_141302.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 614

Charkatak

Aug 11, 2012
WA
Hi Guys,

Afordable, or not...

I don't want to use wireless solution for several reason but this is not the point here.

My favorite :
Ibasso DC01

Same issue ?

Sonata HD cable II
Review here

Few months ago I purchased TempoTec Sonata HD Hi-Res dongle from Amazon and actually was the first person to review them. Basically it is the same as Hidizs, just re-branded. Actually Hidizs was selling the TempoTec dongle. I asked them what is the difference between your Hidizs and TempoTec, their reply was "basically same thing..." The reason I went with TempoTec, as it was $19.99 and Hidizs that time was $29.99. Now Hidizs went over $40, not cool

Manufacturer's website: http://www.tempotec.com.cn/en/2-Product/Sonata/SonataHD/index.htm
Aliexpress link for TempoTec dongle: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32897632139.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_11545128.subject_0

Last edited:
Reactions: billy_boolean

jawis

Aug 7, 2005
Re: ibasso DC-01

I finally got the N10+ (Qualcomm) today

Have managed to try out the ibasso dc-01 dac this evening.
Crossing fingers, but so far no issues with it on the N10+.

I have used Power-Amp, Tidal and UAP Pro and all the apps have behaved with the dac.

Haven't encountered anything unusual.

Attachments

• IMG_20190822_004021.jpg
    IMG_20190822_004021.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 1,128
  • IMG_20190822_003516.jpg
    IMG_20190822_003516.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 1,137
  • IMG_20190822_003431.jpg
    IMG_20190822_003431.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 1,131

billy_boolean

Sep 6, 2008
Lüttich
I finally got the N10+ (Qualcomm) today

Have managed to try out the ibasso dc-01 dac this evening.
Crossing fingers, but so far no issues with it on the N10+.

I have used Power-Amp, Tidal and UAP Pro and all the apps have behaved with the dac.

Haven't encountered anything unusual.

Good news !
No battery drain ?

have you installed the ibasso application to manage the volume ?

jawis

Aug 7, 2005
Good news !
No battery drain ?

Not noticed battery drain, but perhaps will see how it is tomorrow after a full charge and spend the day with it.

I have not installed any ibasso app, but have volume control with the N10.
I had to set hardware volume with UAPpro and volume works in bit perfect mode fine. Listening to Tidal with UAPpro as I type. Been great so far.

Reactions: billy_boolean

proliant

Oct 10, 2007
First thing first, I am not an audiophile!
Instead of paying the Type-C to 3.5mm Adapter for SS (no stock here anyway), bought the iBasso dc02
- plug and play as expected, no issue
- volume is louder, and clearer
- RHA T20
- Have not tried the iBasso UAC

Tested on:
Samsung Note10+ (Samsung Music Player)
Huawei Honor Note 10 (VLC)

Time to trash the Type C to 3.5mm adapter!

Attachments

• 20190826_213431.jpg
    20190826_213431.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 860
Last edited:

IICRASHII

Jan 21, 2012
Lisse

i got the Ibasso DC02 for my note 10+ exynos and it didn't work ... audio came out from the phone speakers and the Ibasso UAC doesn't see it either ...

AzureSleeper

Feb 5, 2017
Works with Samsung

Just need to restart phone with DAC connected. I am jealous of the people who got it to work. Mine doesn't auto detect the DAC. But if I connect it and restart the Note 10 sees it just fine.

nick_roman

Nov 5, 2019
I would not normally depends on the phone music because most of the mobile phones now are designed to work in games and movies or other type of entertainment except audio. If you like quality music try to use Chord Mojo, Chord Hugo or Other external DAC. I would prepare to buy a separate music player if you love music instead of depending on mobile phones. There are many decent Music player in the market that you can buy, if you like there are quality Astell and Kern Products like SR15 A&norma it just 799 USD and I heard there a sale on other stores like Amazon. If you cannot afford it try buying Fiio like X1 or X3 its cheaper but good quality music as compared with mobile phones. Another advantage is the battery of your phone won't worn out easily because you don't need to charge it from time to time.

mehdikh423

May 7, 2013
Doesn't work

My dc02 doesn't work on oneplus 7 android 10 and huawei 6x my app is uapp and hiby

It work for Arround 1minute and then it make some noise
When i replug the dac it play music Arround 1 minute again

Last edited:

AzureSleeper

Feb 5, 2017
Solution to USB-C Woes

Guys do not fret. There are two workarounds that I've discovered. One of them which is the recent more permanent one relied on talking to the right person at the right moment. Thanks to that person from Samsung Philippines.*

First, the temporary workaround was mentioned here. Keep it connected while rebooting and the system will detect it automatically.

For the permanent solution here it is:

1. Clear the USB settings of your Android device. Settings, Apps, Show System Apps, search USB Settings tap clear cache and clear data.

2. Perform a soft reset. In some phones power and volume down button.

Should now work without restarting it while it is plugged in. Tried plug and unplug multiple times. It now works!*

Hope this helps everyone! Pls post this solution on* social media. :)

gazerock

May 12, 2011
Guys do not fret. There are two workarounds that I've discovered. One of them which is the recent more permanent one relied on talking to the right person at the right moment. Thanks to that person from Samsung Philippines.*

First, the temporary workaround was mentioned here. Keep it connected while rebooting and the system will detect it automatically.

For the permanent solution here it is:

1. Clear the USB settings of your Android device. Settings, Apps, Show System Apps, search USB Settings tap clear cache and clear data.

2. Perform a soft reset. In some phones power and volume down button.

Should now work without restarting it while it is plugged in. Tried plug and unplug multiple times. It now works!*

Hope this helps everyone! Pls post this solution on* social media. :)

It's doesn't work for me, tempotec sonata hd pro, note 10, only reboot with dac connected work for me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It seems that they have issue with S9 S10 N9 and N10.
    Not all devices are impacted.
    See attachment.

Regarding ibasso, a French test website said to have had the problem with 50% of devices. Including S9 S10 and Note9.
    Samsun was able to solve the problem via software for other DACs, but they can not do it for ibasso.
    This French website advice to test the ibasso before buying.
    Hi Guys,

Afordable, or not...

My favorite :
    Ibasso DC01

Same issue ?

Sonata HD cable II
    Review here

Few months ago I purchased TempoTec Sonata HD Hi-Res dongle from Amazon and actually was the first person to review them. Basically it is the same as Hidizs, just re-branded. Actually Hidizs was selling the TempoTec dongle. I asked them what is the difference between your Hidizs and TempoTec, their reply was "basically same thing..." The reason I went with TempoTec, as it was $19.99 and Hidizs that time was $29.99. Now Hidizs went over $40, not cool

Manufacturer's website: http://www.tempotec.com.cn/en/2-Product/Sonata/SonataHD/index.htm
    Aliexpress link for TempoTec dongle: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32897632139.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_11545128.subject_0
    Good news !
    No battery drain ?

Not noticed battery drain, but perhaps will see how it is tomorrow after a full charge and spend the day with it.

I have not installed any ibasso app, but have volume control with the N10.
    I had to set hardware volume with UAPpro and volume works in bit perfect mode fine. Listening to Tidal with UAPpro as I type. Been great so far.