santi.marro

Feb 21, 2014
I've just bought a Chromecast device and I'm trying to
setup it. The problem is that when I plug it to the tv, a message appears
saying "Starting chromecast" and then the Chrome logo. After that, black
screen. Nothing appears. The setup program in my pc can find the device but
I can't see anything on the TV.

My TV model is LG 32LE5500

I tried rebooting the TV by unplugging everything and nothing changed.
Also I tried the Chromecast devide in another TV and it worked there, but it's not my TV and I need it to work in the LG one.

I've tried all hdmi ports and it's the same in all of them. The chrome logo and then black.

The last thing I did is to configure the device from the other TV and then plug it on the TV that doesn't work. I realized that the audio does work, I launched the YouTube app from my cellphone and I could hear the video, but again, black screen.

Could it be that my TV has a resolution of 1900x1080 and not 1920x1080?

Please I will appreaciate any kind of help, I really wanted to use the device and it's useless for me right now

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I've just bought a Chromecast device and I'm trying to
setup it. The problem is that when I plug it to the tv, a message appears
saying "Starting chromecast" and then the Chrome logo. After that, black
screen. Nothing appears. The setup program in my pc can find the device but
I can't see anything on the TV.
Could it be that my TV has a resolution of 1900x1080 and not 1920x1080?
Your TV is 1080p, so it's 1920 horizontal.

IIRC the boot logo sends 480p, then Chromecast negotiates with the TV as to what resolutions are supported.
Your TV might not be playing nice in the negotiation process.

So, try booting Chromecast without it connected to the TV.
  1. Disconnect power from Chromecast
  2. Disconnect Chromecast from TV
  3. Reapply power to Chromecast
  4. Wait for it to boot (wait until LED goes solid steady white)
  5. Turn on TV if it is not already on
  6. Set TV to Chromecast input
  7. Plug Chromecast into TV input

santi.marro

Feb 21, 2014
Your TV is 1080p, so it's 1920 horizontal.

IIRC the boot logo sends 480p, then Chromecast negotiates with the TV as to what resolutions are supported.
Your TV might not be playing nice in the negotiation process.

So, try booting Chromecast without it connected to the TV.
  1. Disconnect power from Chromecast
  2. Disconnect Chromecast from TV
  3. Reapply power to Chromecast
  4. Wait for it to boot (wait until LED goes solid steady white)
  5. Turn on TV if it is not already on
  6. Set TV to Chromecast input
  7. Plug Chromecast into TV input

I tried it and it's the same, a black screen. It works with a monitor that I have and another TV, but, sadly, I need it to work in the LG TV

According to LG, that's a normal 1080p screen.

More likely there's a router setup issue. This may help as a starting point -

The chromecast device works, I checked it and configured it in another TV, but I need it to work in the LG one.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
I tried it and it's the same, a black screen. It works with a monitor that I have and another TV, but, sadly, I need it to work in the LG TV
Very strange. Almost sounds like an HDCP handshake problem.

Try the HDMI extender in case it's just not plugging in quite right.

Other than that, you can try disabling HDMI CEC (LG calls it SimpLink) and see if that makes a difference.

Do you know what firmware build it has? (Chromecast app will tell you)

santi.marro

Feb 21, 2014
Very strange. Almost sounds like an HDCP handshake problem.

Try the HDMI extender in case it's just not plugging in quite right.

Other than that, you can try disabling HDMI CEC (LG calls it SimpLink) and see if that makes a difference.

Do you know what firmware build it has? (Chromecast app will tell you)

I've just tried the device with the extender and SimpLink deactivated and it's the same again :(

Here I leave a screenshot of the Chromecast app attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-21-19-29-44.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-21-19-29-44.png
    64 KB · Views: 1,105

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
I've just tried the device with the extender and SimpLink deactivated and it's the same again :(

Here I leave a screenshot of the Chromecast app attached
Nice names. :)

Well, you're on the latest firmware build (15250) so either Google broke something in the newest update, or your TV is finicky.

Since your TV is Smart, it might have a firmware update available.

Wait... The specs say "TruMotion 100Hz" - is your TV PAL? It might not support NTSC input...

EarlyMon

Jun 23, 2010
Nice names. :)

Well, you're on the latest firmware build (15250) so either Google broke something in the newest update, or your TV is finicky.

Since your TV is Smart, it might have a firmware update available.

Wait... The specs say "TruMotion 100Hz" - is your TV PAL? It might not support NTSC input...

HDMI doesn't care about PAL vs NTSC frequencies by design, exactly why so many in the UK were able to adopt early last year.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
HDMI doesn't care about PAL vs NTSC frequencies by design, exactly why so many in the UK were able to adopt early last year.
While I agree that it shouldn't matter in this day and age, they still exist separately in the EDID data because of the differing pixel clocks.

It's possible (though ill-advised) for a modern display to reject an input signal based on it being 50/100 Hz or 60/120 Hz.
I deal with a lot of AV stuff and have run into this issue from time to time.

Reactions: EarlyMon

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
:) I'm learning every day... sometimes the hard way.

Traditionally European TV sets have been more forgiving than their US counterparts, accepting NTSC "nudged" into PAL-60 or NTSC 4.43 in the analog realm.

While the transition to HD did unify the display resolutions and pixel aspect ratios (everything's square, yay!), the differences in refresh/sampling rates remained. :(

One day my friend, one day... everything will be 600 Hz or better so 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 fps content will all be supported and play without judder or needing interpolation. :cyclops:

So back to the topic at hand, it's possible the OP's TV doesn't know what to do with a 30/60 Hz input from Chromecast, though that would be quite silly of LG to impose such a restriction. Still, silly happens more often than you think for all kinds of reasons (gray market sales due to varying exchange rates and import/export laws often is a concern, as we burden on regional support that got no revenue from the foreign sale).
TBH, I don't know for certain whether Chromecast is capable of 25/50 Hz output, it might be. But being that Google isn't selling it outside of US/Canada yet, I doubt they've tested it.

>> Anybody in Europe, can you confirm me whether Chromecast outputs 720/50p, 1080/50i or 1080/50p to your TV? <<

Last edited:
Reactions: santi.marro

kDnZP

Dec 21, 2013
Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393067713842.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393067713842.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 222
Reactions: EarlyMon

santi.marro

Feb 21, 2014
Thank you for all your replies,

For what I know, my TV accept NTSC but I'm not 100% sure. I am from South America by the way, in theory electronics here are NTSC.

That TV in the picture you posted is very similar to the one I have. Did you have any problem using the chromecast device?

EarlyMon

Jun 23, 2010
The link I gave was from the Eastern Mediterranean, I was more curious about verifying your resolution at the time. There's a 60/120 Hz (NTSC) version of your set, same model number, popular in several South American countries.

I apologize for adding the confusion.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Thank you for all your replies,

For what I know, my TV accept NTSC but I'm not 100% sure. I am from South America by the way, in theory electronics here are NTSC.

That TV in the picture you posted is very similar to the one I have. Did you have any problem using the chromecast device?

Hmm, should work.

Worst-case, since you have other displays that Chromecast does display properly on, you could try this: (it worked on 13300, haven't had need or opportunity to try it on 14975 or 15250)
  1. Locate working monitor and LG TV in close proximity
  2. Connect Chromecast to working monitor and wall power
  3. Once Chromecast is booted, unplug Chromecast from monitor only
  4. Plug Chromecast into LG TV

Likely this will not survive a Chromecast reboot though... :(

AustinMartin

Jul 18, 2011
I've got a Sanyo DP50740, and my Chromecast is now showing this same behavior. It used to work fine, but I think that the update to firmware 15250 broke something with hdcp in some TV's.

I filed a bug with Google, but the end result was that the google helpdesk can't tell what was updated in the latest build.

I suggest you file a similar bug with Google, so that they see that this is happening with multple TV models.

Until they fix this I'm stuck with a paperweight.

:(

AustinMartin

Jul 18, 2011
It won't sync up even if you hot-plug Chromecast HDMI after it's already booted?

Nope, tried that. The only thing I haven't tried is to boot up plugged into another device then plug in. Don't have any portable monitors with hdmi input. It might be that they fixed this glitch in the latest firmware.

This is the annoyance of allowing google to update firmware at will. They can break your device, and there's then nothing you can do except wait for the next release. That's why I encourage the original poster to file a bug with them. That's their only window into what's happening.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Nope, tried that. The only thing I haven't tried is to boot up plugged into another device then plug in.
They can break your device, and there's then nothing you can do except wait for the next release. That's why I encourage the original poster to file a bug with them. That's their only window into what's happening.
The no HDMI and different HDMI scenarios should be different, they have been in my case at least, but understand not having a practical means to try.

Agree. That's the danger of forced updates.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    While I agree that it shouldn't matter in this day and age, they still exist separately in the EDID data because of the differing pixel clocks.

It's possible (though ill-advised) for a modern display to reject an input signal based on it being 50/100 Hz or 60/120 Hz.
    I deal with a lot of AV stuff and have run into this issue from time to time.
    :) I'm learning every day... sometimes the hard way.

Traditionally European TV sets have been more forgiving than their US counterparts, accepting NTSC "nudged" into PAL-60 or NTSC 4.43 in the analog realm.

While the transition to HD did unify the display resolutions and pixel aspect ratios (everything's square, yay!), the differences in refresh/sampling rates remained. :(

One day my friend, one day... everything will be 600 Hz or better so 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 fps content will all be supported and play without judder or needing interpolation. :cyclops:

So back to the topic at hand, it's possible the OP's TV doesn't know what to do with a 30/60 Hz input from Chromecast, though that would be quite silly of LG to impose such a restriction. Still, silly happens more often than you think for all kinds of reasons (gray market sales due to varying exchange rates and import/export laws often is a concern, as we burden on regional support that got no revenue from the foreign sale).
    TBH, I don't know for certain whether Chromecast is capable of 25/50 Hz output, it might be. But being that Google isn't selling it outside of US/Canada yet, I doubt they've tested it.

>> Anybody in Europe, can you confirm me whether Chromecast outputs 720/50p, 1080/50i or 1080/50p to your TV? <<
    Hi bhiga, that didn't helped either... but thanks for the help.

I have spoken with mighty ddggttff3 he made me try a "vanilla" 16041 which didn't make it and asked me to open up a thread at google chromecast support.

So anyone with similar issues should post in this thread:

https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/chromecast/xXyNrzm-e8g/discussion

Cheers!
    The projector's OSD now shows "640x480 @60,00 Hz". Attaching the Chromecast to my HP monitor does not work as the Chromecast decides on 1080p output at 30,00 Hz, which is not supported by the monitor.

Is there something I can do about this problem, maybe with a rooted Chromecast OS? Or is it telling me that it just won't work with my old projector?
    Root currently won't help with resolution detection/selection.

Your image is blurry because each of those 640x480 pixels is being stretched to 3 pixels wide and 2.5 pixels tall. ;)
    This could be due to lack of HDCP, as downconverting to analog SD is an option when there's no HDCP negotiation.

What you probably need is either a converter that negotiates as HDCP-compliant and can set the EDID information like I mentioned earlier (HDfury3), or an inline device like Dr. HDMI* that can force specific EDIDs - that way Chromecast won't choose a stupid resolution.

Not sure how much more money you want to invest in this project though...

* No, I do not get paid by the HDfury folks - I just reference their products often because I have had good experience with them personally and in the case of Dr. HDMI, it's cheaper than similar products from Gefen and others.