[Stock Firmware]Restore Barnes & Nobel Nook Tablet 16G 1.4.0 from SDCard

Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
This is for the Nook Tablet 16Gig version only. Do not use with 8Gig version

Introduction
Making a magic SDCard which will take you back to stock 1.4.0 is easy!

This method will allow you to restore 1.4.0 firmware onto your Nook Tablet. Personally, I think holding the buttons and halting the device boot 8 times in a row is a bit time consuming. So, here is how you make a "Magic SDCard".

Instructions
Just follow these 4 easy steps to restore your device to 1.4.0.
  1. Download this file: http://devftp.xda-developers.com/files/AdamOutler/NookTablet/acclaim_update.zip (Do not change the file name. Make sure it is named "acclaim_update.zip" without quotes).
  2. Copy the file on a Micro SDCard.
  3. Insert the Micro SDCard into your Nook Tablet
  4. Turn on your Nook and observe a factory restoration.

Conclusion
This will initiate Recovery Mode and flash the entire zip. acclaim_update.zip will restore your device to stock firmware and wipe all user data. I will be working on other methods and I believe it is possible to force the device to boot it's entire firmware from Micro SDCard.

Troubleshooting
"N" Button is inoperative
solution:
  1. Press and hold the Power and "N" Button until the device reboots.
  2. Continue to hold the Power and "N" button until the device reboots 8 times. This will wipe data and restore the "N" button functionality

SDCard method does not work
solutions:
  1. Ensure you have a Nook Tablet, not a Nook Color (funny as it sounds, this is a big problem)
  2. redownload the acclaim_update.zip
  3. Use the Nook settings menu to format the sdcard
  4. Use a different SDCard

Video walkthrough
This video will walk you through switching firmware versions, rooting, backing up, and several other techniques

Last edited:

patruns

May 30, 2011
At the risk of sounding clueless..... How will placing a .zip file on a non-bootable card help? What about the signed bootloader issue? Are we assuming the Nook Tablet is not broken to the point it will not boot on it's own?

Reactions: speljester

liquidzoo

Mar 17, 2010
Florence, AZ
Part of the boot process checks the SD Card for this exact file (and checks the contents I assume). If it exists, it gets executed. Someone else has already confirmed this works, though we can't yet get it to work for any other firmware (ICS, etc).

xdahgary

Aug 18, 2010
Nice. Use the old 1.4.0 factory image to restore. Brilliant.
Now if only we can do that with custom roms.

rvr350

Nov 18, 2011
Initial registration process with B&N

Does this .zip boots up just as if the NT came out of the box? if so, would the initial registration process with B&N push the 1.4.1 to us, or rather the NT pulls it from B&N?

Reactions: nook_lover

liquidzoo

Mar 17, 2010
Florence, AZ
It will (I believe) reset it to an out-of-the-box condition. The registration process might pull the update automatically...if you set up wifi. Don't set it up (right away), and you won't have an issue. Go in, root, side-load what you need to block the update, and you should be good to go.

AugustusBot

Nov 22, 2011
according to BN's website, the update takes 5-10 min to download onto your device, and they instruct you NOT to power it off while this is occurring.

I would think you have a few minutes when it comes up to quickly find and install a few apps you may need for the 'fixing' process, (es file explorer, mount /system), then shut off the wifi.

Worst case scenario, you lose 5 minutes and are forced to restore again...

mohawkx

Nov 27, 2011
A few painfully obvious noob questions. I have a 16gb sd card installed in my tablet. I have sideloaded numerous apps and they show up on my go launcher. Can I use that sd card to install the download you recommend? I assume you mean download the link you provided to my computer and then side load it to my SD card from the usb port on my computer.
Do I need to port all my side loaded apps from the go launcher onto my computer prior to this installation as the factory reset will wipe out all my third party sideloads?

Sorry for the questions. I'm sure this is obvious to most if not all on here but I learned to use a keyboard with a Underwood manual typewriter in 1957 and I'm just now getting comfortable with windows XP.

Kazba1626

Oct 28, 2009
Can this be done over the new B&N update? I don't have a Nook Tablet yet and was wondering before I buy it if I can still root it.

Voyaging

Nov 29, 2011
What if you haven't received OTA yet?

I am really nervous. I bought my wife a NT for Xmas...i rooted it and loaded it with everything she'd like to have on it. Then, i turned it off, wrapped it, and placed under tree.

When she opens it Xmas morning, will it automatically load this 1.4.Bull****? Is there anything that can be done to prevent the update before it happens so that you don't lose hours of work?

Thanks,
Tommy

Voyaging

Nov 29, 2011
I am really nervous. I bought my wife a NT for Xmas...i rooted it and loaded it with everything she'd like to have on it. Then, i turned it off, wrapped it, and placed under tree.

When she opens it Xmas morning, will it automatically load this 1.4.Bull****? Is there anything that can be done to prevent the update before it happens so that you don't lose hours of work?

Thanks,
Tommy

Okay, so i went in Titanium backup and froze the devicemanger and bn cloud service. That will enable me to NOT receive this update, correct?

Montisaquadeis

Nov 16, 2011
If you installed the gapps with indirects root script you shouldnt have to worry about the update as it installs FOTAKill.apk as well which should kill ota updates like this.

Edit: Does this mean the tablet is unbrickable if you end up bricking it by messing with its software?

Last edited:
Reactions: Voyaging

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
If you installed the gapps with indirects root script you shouldnt have to worry about the update as it installs FOTAKill.apk as well which should kill ota updates like this.

Edit: Does this mean the tablet is unbrickable if you end up bricking it by messing with its software?

Not yet.. we need to prove it.. however, it will take all the root folder files in the update.zip uncompressed and named in a special way to do that.

Reactions: ftokc and xdahgary

mukyo

Feb 25, 2009
I just checked and my wife NT is still 1.0.
What is the improvement of 1.4.0? Seems like i missed it.
And can i use this package to upgrade from 1.0?
Much thanks

. . . i use xda app for gtab. . .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is for the Nook Tablet 16Gig version only. Do not use with 8Gig version

Introduction
    Making a magic SDCard which will take you back to stock 1.4.0 is easy!

This method will allow you to restore 1.4.0 firmware onto your Nook Tablet. Personally, I think holding the buttons and halting the device boot 8 times in a row is a bit time consuming. So, here is how you make a "Magic SDCard".

Instructions
    Just follow these 4 easy steps to restore your device to 1.4.0.
    1. Download this file: http://devftp.xda-developers.com/files/AdamOutler/NookTablet/acclaim_update.zip (Do not change the file name. Make sure it is named "acclaim_update.zip" without quotes).
    2. Copy the file on a Micro SDCard.
    3. Insert the Micro SDCard into your Nook Tablet
    4. Turn on your Nook and observe a factory restoration.

Conclusion
    This will initiate Recovery Mode and flash the entire zip. acclaim_update.zip will restore your device to stock firmware and wipe all user data. I will be working on other methods and I believe it is possible to force the device to boot it's entire firmware from Micro SDCard.

Troubleshooting
    "N" Button is inoperative
    solution:
    1. Press and hold the Power and "N" Button until the device reboots.
    2. Continue to hold the Power and "N" button until the device reboots 8 times. This will wipe data and restore the "N" button functionality

SDCard method does not work
    solutions:
    1. Ensure you have a Nook Tablet, not a Nook Color (funny as it sounds, this is a big problem)
    2. redownload the acclaim_update.zip
    3. Use the Nook settings menu to format the sdcard
    4. Use a different SDCard

Video walkthrough
    This video will walk you through switching firmware versions, rooting, backing up, and several other techniques
    I added a "Troubleshooting" section to the first post.

Troubleshooting
    The sideloaded app "Homecatcher" has been reported to cause problems with the "N" button upon restoration of this device. Remove homecatcher from your device before using this recovery. If you have problems after restoring to 1.4.0, please unregister your device. Unregistering will clear out the user data which is attempting to remap your Nook button.
    acclaim_update.zip NOOK 1.4.0 edit to my post of Nov. 5, 2018

The following should take you directly to the Wayback Machine archive of the NOOK 1.4.0 acclaim_update.zip file. (I am so glad that I bookmarked it!)

I tested the following 6 times on a Windows 7 PC before posting this. I will also test it again after this post is applied.

1.) Click on this link or copy it to another tab in your web browser: https://web.archive.org/web/20120120164254/https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1402190

2.) Under Instructions Number 1: Click on the embedded link and it will download immediately.

Here's Hoping!
    Part of the boot process checks the SD Card for this exact file (and checks the contents I assume). If it exists, it gets executed. Someone else has already confirmed this works, though we can't yet get it to work for any other firmware (ICS, etc).
    Just to be clear, this doesn't require root right?

No. Root is not required.