[Tutorial]: How to change the size of a .ttf font file

Search This thread

d_1000

Jun 25, 2010
Chicago NW 'Burbs
Ever wanted to change the base size of the system font file? I spent quite a bit of time looking into this and I found and open source program called FontForge which will modify the .ttf font file. It will run on both Win and Mac.

Here are 300+ existing flashable Font-Packs 300+ existing flashable Font-Packs which you can use and even modify the size of the .ttf file within and re-insert using 7-zip.

Font Forge Instructions:

I spent hours, trying to figure this out, but it is really rather simple...now! FontForge is very powerful and I know how to modify the font size and that is it. I am by NO MEANS an expert!

Once the the selected .ttf file is open - FontForge ALWAYS fc's on my macbook the first time I open a file. Once I relaunch, it is fine...just the nature of the beast.

1. go to: Edit>Select>SelectAll (all characters should be selected)
2. go to: Element>Tansformations>Transform
3. On the transform menu, I have chosen to increase by 20%...make sure all boxes below are checked.

20percent_transform.jpg

4. Click ok
5. It should now render them 20% larger (or whatever you choose)
6. go to: File>Generate Fonts
make sure you change filename to keep the original clean and de-select validate - otherwise you will get about 200 warnings

gen_fonts.jpg

7. Click ok...there will be a couple of warnings that appear, but I have not found any visible font issues or errors-you can ignore them - hat is it. When you close Font Forge, it will ask you about saving changes...if you do, it creates another file type, but I have never paid attention to it.

:D

Last edited:

david1171

Apr 29, 2009
Thank you for this, been wanting to do it for a while.

Edit: Well it took forever to get everything set up to run on windows, but I finally got the Ubuntu font to not be cut off when used as Clockopia.ttf in DeskClock.apk/assets/fonts/Clockopia.ttf. I wouldn't use it for anything else other that Clockopia.ttf because I had to move the numbers -220 on the y axis after resizing them to be 20 percent smaller than normal.

The file is not to be flashed in recovery and is only in the .zip file so that I could upload it to the post.

Attachments

• Clockopia.zip
    67.9 KB · Views: 777
Last edited:

Smokem_I

Nov 24, 2010
Peoria
Nice tutorial bro! I'm gonna give this a shot this weekend :)

Sent from my BluMagic CM7 Glacier using the Blu Premium App

trapzz

Aug 13, 2011
how can i export my phone's font from system/font to alter its size using fontforge? when i connect my phone to my pc, i'm only able to see files on my sd card, not the phone's entire system.

boulder96

Mar 20, 2011
Hi i'm new to fontforge, and I need some help installing it. When I type ./doinstall into cygwin it says 'bash: ./doinstall No such file or directory" Apparently, there is no 'doinstall' folder. Help would be appreciated thanks.

webwolf_3000

Mar 2, 2009
Derbyshire
Program crashes on Windows 7 every time. show stopper...
Anyone else manage to use the windows version ?

Looking at the windows logs, it appears to be an issue with 64bit windows, I'll give it a shot on my netbook later.

Last edited:

GinGeae

Mar 20, 2013
Thanks alot! It is very impressive to see all those clear steps which is given by you.... For mi, it is still works like a charm. Cheers...

yugimotto

Feb 4, 2014
TTF

do u know what clock font style is in the image?

Attachments

• Generic-GS4-Leaning-Left-BLK_-J-Lock-Screen1.jpg
    Generic-GS4-Leaning-Left-BLK_-J-Lock-Screen1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 174

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ever wanted to change the base size of the system font file? I spent quite a bit of time looking into this and I found and open source program called FontForge which will modify the .ttf font file. It will run on both Win and Mac.

Here are 300+ existing flashable Font-Packs 300+ existing flashable Font-Packs which you can use and even modify the size of the .ttf file within and re-insert using 7-zip.

Font Forge Instructions:

I spent hours, trying to figure this out, but it is really rather simple...now! FontForge is very powerful and I know how to modify the font size and that is it. I am by NO MEANS an expert!

Once the the selected .ttf file is open - FontForge ALWAYS fc's on my macbook the first time I open a file. Once I relaunch, it is fine...just the nature of the beast.

1. go to: Edit>Select>SelectAll (all characters should be selected)
    2. go to: Element>Tansformations>Transform
    3. On the transform menu, I have chosen to increase by 20%...make sure all boxes below are checked.

20percent_transform.jpg

4. Click ok
    5. It should now render them 20% larger (or whatever you choose)
    6. go to: File>Generate Fonts
    make sure you change filename to keep the original clean and de-select validate - otherwise you will get about 200 warnings

gen_fonts.jpg

7. Click ok...there will be a couple of warnings that appear, but I have not found any visible font issues or errors-you can ignore them - hat is it. When you close Font Forge, it will ask you about saving changes...if you do, it creates another file type, but I have never paid attention to it.

:D