[Q] MTP on linux Ubuntu

Search This thread

Bumble-Bee

Senior Recognized Developer & Original Autobot
Feb 21, 2009
twitter.com
anyone been able to sync music/video's to there transformer from a linux machine ?

I have all of the mtp stuff set up for other devices, but i cannot get the transformer to show up ...

Any help would be appreciated :)

crater

Feb 16, 2009
I don't believe the TF is an MTP device... it simply mounts as storage. Drag/Drop your music.

Roach2010

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2008
Glasgow
I don't believe the TF is an MTP device... it simply mounts as storage. Drag/Drop your music.
It is actually an MTP device. This allows us to access the storage area without making it unavailable to the device like a USB mount does.

Here's how to get your Transformer to show up in Ubuntu for example. This includes stuff you will have setup but this will help others too.

Code:
$ sudo apt-get install mtpfs
$ sudo mkdir /media/transformer
$ sudo chmod 775 /media/transformer
$ sudo mtpfs -o allow_other /media/transformer

You should now be able to see the device under /media/transformer

To remove the device type:
Code:
$ sudo umount mtpfs

You may also need add a rule for the device to see it in Ubuntu:
Code:
$ sudo vi /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

Add this line to the 51-android.rules file:
Code:
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0b05", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4e0f", MODE="0666", OWNER="<your user name>" #Asus Transformer

Save the file, then chmod to all read:
Code:
$ sudo chmod a+r /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

Last edited:

Crimton

Apr 30, 2010
Nashville
i was reading a guide on xoom forums i believe that told you to edit fstab. is that not necessary? i did it without making a backup and i messed up my mounting points.

crater

Feb 16, 2009
It is actually an MTP device. This allows us to access the storage area without making it unavailable to the device like a USB mount does.

My mistake, I was completely unaware that they had made this change in honeycomb.

mtpfs works great, I've got it working on my gentoo netbook for managing music and videos on my Creative Xen X-Fi.

Roach2010

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2008
Glasgow
i was reading a guide on xoom forums i believe that told you to edit fstab. is that not necessary? i did it without making a backup and i messed up my mounting points.

fstab is for automounts at system startup, I just tried adding an entry for mtpfs but I got 'An error occurred while mounting /media/transformer' so I can't help with that.

Crimton

Apr 30, 2010
Nashville
I could care less if it auto mounts I just want it to mount at all. so you have tested what you posted above and it definitely works? if so, that is awesome.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

edit: can't get this to work for me :( how do you get it to mount? if i do sudo mount mtpfs i get:

Code:
 mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on mtpfs,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

if i do /media/transformer i get:
Code:
 bash: /media/transformer: Transport endpoint is not connected

i got it to work by starting a new mount point /media/tf101 and setting permissions on it. :D

Last edited:

roundhay

May 15, 2011
I can't get this to work consistently, some times I can see all of the folders in the internal storage some times I only see the playlist folder and sometimes I see no folders and the "Transport endpoint is not connected" error message.

It is also worth noting that everytime I set up a new mountpoint it works but getting the files system to mount again is very unreliable.

Any ideas what this might be?

Don't really fancy setting up a new mount point every I want to transfer files onto the eee pad.

Using Ubuntu 11.04

MACscr

Dec 21, 2009
Ok, so i got things mounted, but when i try to copy a 5gb file from my 2tb drive to my transformer, it seems to eat up space on my os disk when it tries to transfer. This definitely wont work for me as I only have a couple gigs of space free on my OS disk, which is meant for speed, not lots of storage (my 2tb drive is for that). Why is this happening? Some sort of temporary/caching action going on? Seems like a major design flaw with mtpfs if this is how it works. =(

ivan.volosyuk

Dec 12, 2010
I use QuickSSHD on my Transformer and sshfs on Linux. It is possible to use public key authentication. For pushing large files I use adb push. MTP works very unreliable. Sometimes files are randomly moved to different directories if they are recognized as media files. So after a few experiments I stay away from mtpfs.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Oct 27, 2008
Has anyone figured this out yet, because this is really pissing me off. I understand the benefits of mtp, but if I can't use it linux (Ubuntu) to linux (Android), what's the point?

levenite

May 7, 2011
I use Ubuntu 10.04, AMD-64 bit and gMTP works pretty well. I did have to compile it because I understand that for some Linux versions it is broken.

nukeador

Aug 11, 2010
I'm having problems too with Asus Transformer (Tested on Ubuntu 11.04 64 and 32bits).

I'm unable to transfer big files (like HD videos), it seems the transfer is completed but no file is stored. On the 64bits box I get messages about "the device is not connected" after trying to transfer big files, and I have to remount the device to be able to browse through folders.

nukeador

Aug 11, 2010
Ok, here it's a tip: Enable USB Debugging under Settings → Applications

It seems it works enabling that. I have to do more tests with large files since mtpfs uses my root partition as temporally storage and I run out of free space :p

cis.snakeman

Jul 29, 2008
[...]

edit: can't get this to work for me :( how do you get it to mount? if i do sudo mount mtpfs i get:

[...]
i got it to work by starting a new mount point /media/tf101 and setting permissions on it. :D
So wat was your mount command after all ?
Could you share please ? ;)

Because from my point of view I have an additional issue, after my Tablet Mounted, if I try to open (with Nautilus) the mount point I have an error:
In French said:
Impossible d'afficher «*/media/transformer*».
Le type du fichier est inconnu
In English said:
Impossible to display « /media/transformer ».
Unknown file type

Last edited:

xyellx

Jun 17, 2010
If you are using Fedora with Gnome3, like me.

yum install -y gnomad2

Since there is no mtpfs in the packge repo, use this or compile mtpfs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here's how to get your Transformer to show up in Ubuntu for example. This includes stuff you will have setup but this will help others too.

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install mtpfs
    $ sudo mkdir /media/transformer
    $ sudo chmod 775 /media/transformer
    $ sudo mtpfs -o allow_other /media/transformer

You should now be able to see the device under /media/transformer

To remove the device type:
    Code:
    $ sudo umount mtpfs

You may also need add a rule for the device to see it in Ubuntu:
    Code:
    $ sudo vi /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

Add this line to the 51-android.rules file:
    Code:
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0b05", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4e0f", MODE="0666", OWNER="<your user name>" #Asus Transformer

Save the file, then chmod to all read:
    Code:
    $ sudo chmod a+r /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules