[APP] Updated: 31/10/12 - PIT Magic v1.3.10 - Samsung PIT Creator, Editor, Analyzer!

Search This thread

lyriquidperfection

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 14, 2009
Nottingham
PIT Magic is the All In One solution for Creating, Editing and Analyzing Samsung PIT Files.

What are Samsung PIT Files?

PIT files contain the Partition Information Table (PIT) for Samsung Android phones. Different firmware versions may require different partition layouts so the necessary PIT file 'tells' Odin how to set up the phone partitions correctly for the specified firmware to be installed.

The PIT file contains all the relevant information for each required partition such as Partition Name, Flash File Name, Block Size, Block Count etc. and also contains some unknown properties that maybe identifiers or flags of some sort.

Big thanks to Benjamin Dobell and Adam Outler for their extensive knowledge. I have read alot of threads where I found all of your comments regarding pit files very useful.

PIT Magic's Main Features:

• Create New PIT Files from scratch.
  • Edit Existing PIT Files and change all available properties.
  • Analyze a PIT File and create a human readable report of all Partition entries.
  • Export PIT Analysis to Text File or Copy to Clipboard direct from the User Interface.
  • Add or Remove Partition entries to a New or Existing PIT File.
  • Save options to write changes to Existing PIT File or write a New PIT File altogether.

Please Note: PIT Magic requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 to be installed on your PC.
Compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7

Whats NEW in PIT Magic v1.3.10

1. Removed Unknown PIT File Properties #1 to #8 and replaced with 5 Dummy Data Blocks consisting of 4 bytes each as per the Samsung PIT File Specification.

2. Changed the 'Unknown PIT File Properties' Group to PIT File Header Information.

3. Added Option to Display Dummy Data in String or Hexadecimal Format.

4. Fixed a bug with the Reset Form Button. Now it will undo changes made to the PIT File Header Dummy Data fields as well as the currently selected PIT Entry.

5. Changed the layout of the User Interface and made a few slight cosmetic adjustments.

6. Changed the layout of the PIT File Analysis Report to reflect the changes to the PIT Header Information.

7. Fixed a few bugs regarding loading and saving of PIT Files in the User Interface.

8. Removed some redundant and duplicated code and tidied it up in a few places.

9. Fixed PIT File Modified prompt when Creating New / Open Existing / Exit Application. Changes made are now detected properly including to PIT Header Information.

Whats NEW in PIT Magic v1.1.4

1. Changed File Name to Flash File Name and Added FOTA File Name.

2. Changed Chip Identifier to Binary Type.

3. Changed Partition Identifier to Device Type.

4. Changed Partition Flags to Identifier.

5. Changed Unused to Attribute.

6. Changed Unknown #1 in PIT Entry to Update Attribute.

7. Changed Unknown #2 to File Offset and Unknown #3 to File Size. (Obsolete PIT Parameters).

8. Added Thousand separator text formatting to Block Size and Block Count in the User Interface and Analysis UI.

9. Updated User Interface and fixed a few file modified detection bugs that failed to prompt user to save changes on Exit / Open / New.

10. Fixed a Null Reference bug when cancelling 'Save As...' Dialog.

Whats NEW in PIT Magic v1.0.8

Initial Release.

Attachments

• PIT_Magic_Main1.png
    PIT_Magic_Main1.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 47,160
  • PIT_Magic_Main2.png
    PIT_Magic_Main2.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 41,323
  • PIT_Magic_v1.3.10_Release.zip
    163.4 KB · Views: 94,023
Last edited:

bluefa1con

Aug 9, 2011
1st :D
havnt plashed a single pit file in a year+ of owning the gs2
well u can never be too sure
thanks

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Yes PIT Magic will edit ANY PIT File you throw at it! :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Now i just need to obtain the stock PIT file so i can edit it and make my system partition smaller :)

Do you have any idea where/how i can get one? I highly doubt i'll be able to make one from scratch...

lyriquidperfection

Jun 14, 2009
Nottingham
Now i just need to obtain the stock PIT file so i can edit it and make my system partition smaller :)

Do you have any idea where/how i can get one? I highly doubt i'll be able to make one from scratch...

Search on XDA or Google for I9300 PIT.

Be careful though as there are different ones for 16GB and 32GB depending which model variant you have.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Search on XDA or Google for I9300 PIT.

Be careful though as there are different ones for 16GB and 32GB depending which model variant you have.

Ha shockingly i was able to find it. However i have the SGH-T999 Tmo d2Tmo variant. Found a whole bunch of PIT's and even a way to get your stock PIT here but now i need to figure out what everything means exactly in my PIT file. I apologize if im annoying you xD

Here is what i feel needs to be edited.

Code:
Binary Type:                0            (UNKNOWN)
Device Type:                2                (MMC)
Identifier:                 14
Attribute:                  5       (READ / WRITE)
Update Attribute:           5               (FOTA)
Block Size:                 221,184
Block Count:                3,072,000
File Offset (Obsolete):     0
File Size (Obsolete):       0
Partition Name:             SYSTEM
Flash FileName:             system.img.ext4

Last edited:

lyriquidperfection

Jun 14, 2009
Nottingham
Ha shockingly i was able to find it. However i have the SGH-T999 Tmo d2Tmo variant. Found a whole bunch of PIT's and even a way to get your stock PIT here but now i need to figure out what everything means exactly in my PIT file. I apologize if im annoying you xD

Here is what i feel needs to be edited.

Code:
Binary Type:                0            (UNKNOWN)
Device Type:                2                (MMC)
Identifier:                 14
Attribute:                  5       (READ / WRITE)
Update Attribute:           5               (FOTA)
Block Size:                 221,184
Block Count:                3,072,000
File Offset (Obsolete):     0
File Size (Obsolete):       0
Partition Name:             SYSTEM
Flash FileName:             system.img.ext4

If you are just looking to resize the system partition, then just change the Block Size.

Reactions: elesbb

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
If you are just looking to resize the system partition, then just change the Block Size.

Ahh so i resize the block size not the number of blocks? I was thinking it was the number of blocks.. but if i take my max memory in MB and divide that my the block size number, theoretically that should let me know how many megabytes are in each block. Right?

So i edited block size by 102460 from 221184 and nothing happened. Says it flashed successfully but nothing changed in my partitions table.. did i do something wrong?

Last edited:

lyriquidperfection

Jun 14, 2009
Nottingham
Ahh so i resize the block size not the number of blocks? I was thinking it was the number of blocks.. but if i take my max memory in MB and divide that my the block size number, theoretically that should let me know how many megabytes are in each block. Right?

So i edited block size by 102460 from 221184 and nothing happened. Says it flashed successfully but nothing changed in my partitions table.. did i do something wrong?

Adjust block count aswell but I think both have to match up somehow. I could be wrong but do some research first.

Last edited:
Reactions: elesbb

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Adjust block count aswell but I think both have to match up somehow. I could be wrong but do some research first.

I've done so much Googling and got no where -.- I'll keep trying and change my keywords and what not. Thanks for all your help!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

anyone have a PIT for the TMo S2 - T989?

Use this link. They have instructions for creating a pit file.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/32867-pits-for-tmo-sgs3/

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: scumpicule

bedwa

Oct 5, 2008
Springfield IL
Great googly moogly. Goodsir, I'm drooling. Time to adjust and tweak partitions like Old HTC devices. Now where's my old Captivate?

Last edited:

dstruct2k

Jan 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Google Pixel 4

No, you only need to change the block count, not the block size.

Also, if you take blocks away from /system/, remember to add them to another partition, or you'll just be wasting blocks by not assigning them to any partition at all.

Reactions: lyriquidperfection

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PIT Magic is the All In One solution for Creating, Editing and Analyzing Samsung PIT Files.

What are Samsung PIT Files?

PIT files contain the Partition Information Table (PIT) for Samsung Android phones. Different firmware versions may require different partition layouts so the necessary PIT file 'tells' Odin how to set up the phone partitions correctly for the specified firmware to be installed.

The PIT file contains all the relevant information for each required partition such as Partition Name, Flash File Name, Block Size, Block Count etc. and also contains some unknown properties that maybe identifiers or flags of some sort.

Big thanks to Benjamin Dobell and Adam Outler for their extensive knowledge. I have read alot of threads where I found all of your comments regarding pit files very useful.

PIT Magic's Main Features:

• Create New PIT Files from scratch.
    • Edit Existing PIT Files and change all available properties.
    • Analyze a PIT File and create a human readable report of all Partition entries.
    • Export PIT Analysis to Text File or Copy to Clipboard direct from the User Interface.
    • Add or Remove Partition entries to a New or Existing PIT File.
    • Save options to write changes to Existing PIT File or write a New PIT File altogether.

Please Note: PIT Magic requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 to be installed on your PC.
    Compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7

Whats NEW in PIT Magic v1.3.10

1. Removed Unknown PIT File Properties #1 to #8 and replaced with 5 Dummy Data Blocks consisting of 4 bytes each as per the Samsung PIT File Specification.

2. Changed the 'Unknown PIT File Properties' Group to PIT File Header Information.

3. Added Option to Display Dummy Data in String or Hexadecimal Format.

4. Fixed a bug with the Reset Form Button. Now it will undo changes made to the PIT File Header Dummy Data fields as well as the currently selected PIT Entry.

5. Changed the layout of the User Interface and made a few slight cosmetic adjustments.

6. Changed the layout of the PIT File Analysis Report to reflect the changes to the PIT Header Information.

7. Fixed a few bugs regarding loading and saving of PIT Files in the User Interface.

8. Removed some redundant and duplicated code and tidied it up in a few places.

9. Fixed PIT File Modified prompt when Creating New / Open Existing / Exit Application. Changes made are now detected properly including to PIT Header Information.

Whats NEW in PIT Magic v1.1.4

1. Changed File Name to Flash File Name and Added FOTA File Name.

2. Changed Chip Identifier to Binary Type.

3. Changed Partition Identifier to Device Type.

4. Changed Partition Flags to Identifier.

5. Changed Unused to Attribute.

6. Changed Unknown #1 in PIT Entry to Update Attribute.

7. Changed Unknown #2 to File Offset and Unknown #3 to File Size. (Obsolete PIT Parameters).

8. Added Thousand separator text formatting to Block Size and Block Count in the User Interface and Analysis UI.

9. Updated User Interface and fixed a few file modified detection bugs that failed to prompt user to save changes on Exit / Open / New.

10. Fixed a Null Reference bug when cancelling 'Save As...' Dialog.

Whats NEW in PIT Magic v1.0.8

Initial Release.
    PIT Magic v1.1.4 has now been released!

Enjoy! :)
    I wish this could dump a PIT. I've been desperately trying to build Heimdall-frontend for the sole purpose of creating the first PIT file for the toro Galaxy Nexus, unfortunately I can't get the build setup right. But using a command that works to dump the PIT for the SGSIII, I was able to dump something, and using PIT Magic everything seems to be a legit PIT file. Anyway, the program works great. At least until either I figure out how to build Heimdall-frontend 1.4 or it releases, I can use this to compare results of my PIT experiments. Thanks!

~~~~There is no spoon~~~~

If you have Heimdall command line building you can do:
    heimdall download-pit --output mypit.pit

Otherwise, an official binary release is on its way, probably no later than this Sunday.
    Yeah.. there was a circle of us working on figuring out the pit files over the last few years. I had a rather small part in locating some info, but I KNOW you didn't decode them all on your own. Benjamin has been working on it nonstop.
    anyone have a PIT for the TMo S2 - T989?

Here is the PIT File for SGH-T989 / SGH-T989D:

http://d-h.st/juD