[Release] OpenAuto - open source AndroidAuto(tm) headunit emulator

Search This thread

f1x

Jul 27, 2016
Warsaw
Hello,
I would like to announce my newest project called OpenAuto.

What is OpenAuto?
OpenAuto is an open source AndroidAuto(tm) headunit emulator application based on aasdk library and Qt libraries. Main goal is to run AndroidAuto(tm) on the RaspberryPI 3 board computer smoothly.

Demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9tKRqIkQs8

Status
Project is currently under beta testing.

Links and open source code
https://github.com/f1xpl/openauto

Features
  • 480p, 720p and 1080p with 30 or 60 FPS
  • RaspberryPI 3 hardware acceleration support to decode video stream (video stream up to 1080p@60)
  • Audio playback from all audio channels (Media, System and Speech)
  • Audio input for voice commands
  • Touchscreen and buttons input
  • Bluetooth
  • Automatic launch after device hotplug
  • User-friendly settings

Supported platforms
  • Linux
  • RaspberryPI 3
  • Windows

Before you start using OpenAuto please read Readme and wiki page. Also check OpenAuto Pro.

Last edited:

ahhl

Jul 23, 2007
look like someone may able create Open AA instead and resolve blocking issue by google..i guess

kriko

Apr 9, 2008
I'm trying to compile it, but I got a bit rusty in building under linux.

Code:
[  6%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/autoapp.dir/src/autoapp/Main.cpp.o
In file included repos/android-auto/openauto/src/autoapp/Main.cpp:19:0:
repos/android-auto/openauto/include/f1x/openauto/autoapp/USB/USBMain.hpp:22:40: fatal error: f1x/aasdk/USB/USBWrapper.hpp: No such file or directory
 #include <f1x/aasdk/USB/USBWrapper.hpp>

Did I forget something when configuring with cmake?

gonwild

Feb 23, 2018
Hello,

What is OpenAuto?
OpenAuto is an open source AndroidAuto(tm) headunit emulator application based on aasdk library and Qt libraries. Main goal is to run AndroidAuto(tm) on the RaspberryPI 3 board computer smoothly.

Status

Features
  • RaspberryPI 3 hardware acceleration support to decode video stream (video stream up to 1080p@60)
  • Bluetooth
  • User-friendly settings

Supported platforms
  • Linux
  • RaspberryPI 3
  • Windows

Before you start using OpenAuto please read Readme and wiki page.

Hi! First of all, thank you for bring us this post! Amazing :) I've the same question as another guy here, Could you post the Windows binaries or link to the step by step to get it running under windows?
Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

xbenjiiman

Mar 30, 2011
Seriously impressive, great work.

Works perfectly on my Pixel 2/PI3.

Attachments

• SsH31ki.jpg
    SsH31ki.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 9,695
  • g3c0lbQ.jpg
    g3c0lbQ.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 9,651
  • 9TizHwd.jpg
    9TizHwd.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 9,667

f1x

Jul 27, 2016
Warsaw

Thanks for your feedback. Great to see it working :).

Do you think it would be possible to get Android Auto Wireless functionality at a later point? Or does this require some specific wireless/bluetooth protocol that Google hasn't released just yet?

I think it will be possible but needs some time and effort to implement it. OpenAuto is a hobbyist project and I cannot promise the exact deadline but this feature is on the TODO list.

What can you do with the bluethoot feature ?

What do you mean?

Last edited:

Zaf9670

Mar 21, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I think it will be possible but needs some time and effort to implement it. OpenAuto is a hobbyist project and I cannot promise the exact deadline but this feature is on the TODO list.

I wasn't sure how much of Android Auto is "open" to use. I haven't invested too much time looking into these forks like Auto and Wear but I know they're not quite as public as standard Android. At least that is the take I have gotten over the past few years.

Hopefully it's something that won't require some sort of specific hardware. Best of luck! I hope to test this out on my Pi 3 in a few weeks myself. I'll be sure to keep tabs on the project!

I promise I'm not one of those XDA ETA/update zombies. ;)

MasterCLC

May 5, 2009
Woohoo!! Thank you for this effort!

I'm curious which hardware, aside from the Pi, has been used successfully so far? Is that the Raspberry Pi Foundation touch display? Any HATs?

Thanks again!
-Chad

Last edited:

f1x

Jul 27, 2016
Warsaw
Woohoo!! Thank you for this effort!

I'm curious which hardware, aside from the Pi, has been used successfully so far? Is that the Raspberry Pi Foundation touch display? Any HATs?

Thanks again!
-Chad

Only Raspberry PI 3 has been tested so far in case of embedded platforms. Code itself is portable for any Linux-based or Windows platforms. If hardware acceleration of video decoding is supported by underlying backend used in Qt multimedia library (GStreamer for Linux and DirectShow for Windows) then OpenAuto will run smoothly without additional effort. If hardware acceleration is not supported by underlying backends then it must be implemented in OpenAuto (like in case of Raspberry PI 3).

MasterCLC

May 5, 2009
I apologize, I meant in addition to the Pi, not alternative platforms. Things like which screen is it that you've used, any HATs on your Pi, etc. ?

Thank you!

f1x

Jul 27, 2016
Warsaw
I apologize, I meant in addition to the Pi, not alternative platforms. Things like which screen is it that you've used, any HATs on your Pi, etc. ?

Thank you!

Screen is the official one from PI Foundation (7''). Basically any screen should be suitable to run OpenAuto (as long as it is supported by the OS that hosts OpenAuto). The same for other hardware.

Reactions: FascinatedBot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

What is OpenAuto?

Status

Features
    • Bluetooth
    • User-friendly settings

Supported platforms
    • Linux
    • RaspberryPI 3
    • Windows

Before you start using OpenAuto please read Readme and wiki page. Also check OpenAuto Pro.
    New version of OpenAuto with features like volume control, brightness control, support of Kodi is now available. Take a look at the overview video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sTOMI1qTiA.
    Out of the box distro now available

It may be of interest to some that OpenAuto is now available as a distro for the Raspberry Pi.

http://getcrankshaft.com/

News courtesy of https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16458970

I'm trying to compile it, but I got a bit rusty in building under linux.

Code:
    [  6%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/autoapp.dir/src/autoapp/Main.cpp.o
    In file included repos/android-auto/openauto/src/autoapp/Main.cpp:19:0:
    repos/android-auto/openauto/include/f1x/openauto/autoapp/USB/USBMain.hpp:22:40: fatal error: f1x/aasdk/USB/USBWrapper.hpp: No such file or directory
     #include <f1x/aasdk/USB/USBWrapper.hpp>

Did I forget something when configuring with cmake?
    Make sure you are adding the correct directories is step 4) cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DRPI3_BUILD=TRUE -DAASDK_INCLUDE_DIRS="/path/to/aasdk/include" -DAASDK_LIBRARIES="/path/to/aasdk/lib/libaasdk.so" -DAASDK_PROTO_INCLUDE_DIRS="/path/to/aasdk_build" -DAASDK_PROTO_LIBRARIES="/path/to/aasdk/lib/libaasdk_proto.a" ../openauto
    Note Only one points to the build the rest point to the directory where aasdk is downloaded.
    I ran into the same issue when I was to tired to be doing anything.